Vishaka Smith
Vishaka Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
Member (2009)
Sinhala (Sinhalese) to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2010

What is the going rate for voice over projects, especially if the language is rare?
It's about 1100 words in 8 different sessions. Thank you for your help.

Sangeeta Joshi
Sangeeta Joshi  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:19
German to English
Rate for German to English voiceovers Feb 2, 2010

Hi Vaishakha,

The going rate for German to English voice-overs in the UK is:

Minimum per word: £0.09
Minimum per hour: £22.00

I hope this helps you to get an idea of the rate you could charge.

Regards,

Sangeeta

Narrator
Narrator
Local time: 06:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Voiceover rates Mar 24, 2010

In the US it depends on what the voiceover is for. For most narration (not including audiobooks) union work would be between roughly US$400 and $600 for the first hour (most of that goes to the narrator - some goes to benefits - health insurance etc. ) and then about half that for each subsequent hour. Non-union voice actor rates are all over the place but - again - depending on the material would run anywhere from $200 (quite low) to $500 or more per hour - each hour. If you are editing t... See more
In the US it depends on what the voiceover is for. For most narration (not including audiobooks) union work would be between roughly US$400 and $600 for the first hour (most of that goes to the narrator - some goes to benefits - health insurance etc. ) and then about half that for each subsequent hour. Non-union voice actor rates are all over the place but - again - depending on the material would run anywhere from $200 (quite low) to $500 or more per hour - each hour. If you are editing the material you're narrating you charge for that also along with studio time. Some people charge by the page for fully edited, clean audio files. A common page rate including editing and studio time is $150 - $200 per Arial12 font double-spaced page, standard margins (approximately 250 words). For very complex narration rates could go higher and some would do simple narrations for a bit less.

Also, it's standard to charge a minimum session fee. Most people charge a one hour minimum - or the equivalent in pages.

Hope this is a help. Sorry I didn't see this before now.

[Edited at 2010-03-24 17:27 GMT]
Collapse

Juan Duque Lopera
MariaStraube

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I am pleased Mar 24, 2010

Narrator wrote:

In the US it depends on what the voiceover is for. For most narration (not including audiobooks) union work would be between roughly US$400 and $600 for the first hour (most of that goes to the narrator - some goes to benefits - health insurance etc. ) and then about half that for each subsequent hour. Non-union voice actor rates are all over the place but - again - depending on the material would run anywhere from $200 (quite low) to $500 or more per hour - each hour. If you are editing the material you're narrating you charge for that also along with studio time. Some people charge by the page for fully edited, clean audio files. A common page rate including editing and studio time is $150 - $200 per Arial12 font double-spaced page, standard margins (approximately 250 words). For very complex narration rates could go higher and some would do simple narrations for a bit less.

Also, it's standard to charge a minimum session fee. Most people charge a one hour minimum - or the equivalent in pages.

Hope this is a help. Sorry I didn't see this before now.

[Edited at 2010-03-24 02:26 GMT]

I am pleased to see professional rates stated in this thread.

Thanks, Narrator!

Narrator
Narrator
Local time: 06:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're welcome! Mar 28, 2010

You're welcome Nicole:

Voiceover is my full time profession - I translate as an additional service. Many clients want me to voice their scripts in both English and Spanish and I do the translations for those jobs - unless the script is complex or specialized. In that case I do the smart thing and hire someone to do it.

It hurts all of us - no matter whatever field we're in - when people lowball rates because they don't have an understanding of all that goes into be
... See more
You're welcome Nicole:

Voiceover is my full time profession - I translate as an additional service. Many clients want me to voice their scripts in both English and Spanish and I do the translations for those jobs - unless the script is complex or specialized. In that case I do the smart thing and hire someone to do it.

It hurts all of us - no matter whatever field we're in - when people lowball rates because they don't have an understanding of all that goes into becoming a professional in one's field - the training, the time and money invested in studies, the tools, equipment, software, overhead, time spent marketing and looking for clients, etc. etc. I could go on.

In the voiceover business there are countless people who set up shop with no training at all based on being told they have a nice voice (It's just talking isn't it? - Hah!). And when they take jobs for $50 it hurts the industry. With translators, people set up shop based on the fact they can speak more than one language. (It's easy, isn't it? I can speak the languages! - Hah!) And when they undercut the pros, the result is the same.

As I've seen a few posts about voiceover here I wanted to set the record straight so those who can do voiceover work don't cheat themselves out of a fair rate.

BTW, in Britian - union voiceactors work mostly through Actors Equity. Their rates are on par with rates in the US - maybe better in some areas.
Collapse

Juan Duque Lopera
Nagehan Carroll

neeku
neeku  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:49
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Rate Per Hour of The Audio or at the Studio? Feb 6, 2015

Guys! Are these prices that you've mentioned, for one hour of output audio, or an hour of your time in the studio?

Atiquzzama Khan
Atiquzzama Khan  Identity Verified
India
Member (2011)
English to Urdu
+ ...
Voice over rates Aug 24, 2017

Dear, Anybody tell me about voice over rates that how much price can i charge for voice over service, or in which method would be better / hour or /words. please help me.

Sadique Ryan
Sadique Ryan
India
Voice over rates Aug 24, 2017

anybody help to tell me what is the charges for voice over 400 words. in / word or /hour. please help me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice Over rates?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »