How long does it take translation companies to pay a translator?
દોર પોસ્ટ કરનાર: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
અંગ્રેજી થી ફ્રેન્ચ
+ ...
Jul 28, 2003

Dear all,
I have a question that has been on my mind for quite a long time now. I have been a real translator for a few months now and I have had several translations to do since my beginnings. But I am still waiting for my money. I was curious to know how long it takes for a company to pay its translators on average.
Thank you very much for answering my question, if you can.
Cendrine Marrouat

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
જર્મની
Local time: 23:56
અંગ્રેજી થી જર્મન
+ ...
A matter of negotiation - before starting a job Jul 29, 2003

Salut Cendrine,
I noted that you posted the same topic in the Business Issues forum. Cross-posting can be useful, but most of the time you're simply fragmenting the discussion.

In essence, this is something that should be negotiated before starting a job. Sounds like you didn't - in which case it's worth asking the outsourcer. Have you asked your customer?

Best regards, Ralf

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
સ્પેન
Local time: 23:56
સ્પેનીશ થી અંગ્રેજી
+ ...
This varies from company to company Aug 1, 2003

In standard practice, it will usually be stated in the Purchase Order you receive to confirm a go-ahead on the job.

If it is not expressly stated there, you can ask the agency (and this depends to a great deal on their accounting practices, but is usually uniform for all the translators they work with). Some pay at the end of the month, others in the middle, others 30/45 (most normal in my experience) or even 60 days counted from the date of invoice. Some will pay you as soon as the
... See more
In standard practice, it will usually be stated in the Purchase Order you receive to confirm a go-ahead on the job.

If it is not expressly stated there, you can ask the agency (and this depends to a great deal on their accounting practices, but is usually uniform for all the translators they work with). Some pay at the end of the month, others in the middle, others 30/45 (most normal in my experience) or even 60 days counted from the date of invoice. Some will pay you as soon as they receive payment, but large agencies will usually require a certain reasonable processing time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long does it take translation companies to pay a translator?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »