Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
I charge $0.01/w, I have 3 years of experience, how much should I be charging?
Thread poster: Ammar Naif
Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
Local time: 18:52
German to English
+ ...
1 Cent in Syria? Billionaire?? Jan 14

I understand what you are trying to tell us, but it is a highly personal issue... First of all, there is no "price" for anything. It's a virtual concept created by mankind... If you feel that 1 Cent can get you along in your life, great! It all depends on what you want to get out of it. If you cannot find anybody willing to pay you the "average" rate stated here, so be it. You cannot change it. That's life.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
$100 a month Jan 14

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:
Angie Garbarino wrote:
It all depends on the cost of living, if you can live with 100 euros per month then this rate is ok.

It is not possible to live with €/US$ 100 euros per month, not even in Venezuela.

According to Numbeo, if you don't pay rent, and if you don't live extravagantly, you might be able to achieve a life on $100 per month in rural Syria. When looking at the amounts listed on Numbeo, keep in mind that if you don't customize the estimate, Numbeo assumes that you eat out once a week, that you buy freshly made coffee each day, etc., etc.

Arne Krueger

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
And Jesus will love you for it... Jan 14

Samuel Murray wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:
It all depends on the cost of living, if you can live with 100 euros per month then this rate is ok.

It is not possible to live with €/US$ 100 euros per month, not even in Venezuela.

According to Numbeo, if you don't pay rent, and if you don't live extravagantly, you might be able to achieve a life on $100 per month in rural Syria. When looking at the amounts listed on Numbeo, keep in mind that if you don't customize the estimate, Numbeo assumes that you eat out once a week, that you buy freshly made coffee each day, etc., etc.

Extravagantly in this case would probably mean to be able to pay for a ride on a donkey... ^^

Ammar, you will be fine. As long as you do what makes your life easier.

Renate Radziwill-Rall
Renate Radziwill-Rall  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
pay Jan 14

Reading these comments, why not pay for buying the work you are going to translate?

Lingua 5B
Inge Schumacher

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 11:52
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Change your address in your profile Jan 14

In your profile, write "United States" or "London UK" as residence. Problem solved.
I understand that your rate is based on the old mentality "the Emperor provides for basic necessities" in old cultures, where you are supposed to earn only as much as you need to survive. You should not determine your rates according to what you need to barely survive. That's a recipe for misery.
There are quite a few countries where this mentality is one of the factors the country itself is po
... See more
In your profile, write "United States" or "London UK" as residence. Problem solved.
I understand that your rate is based on the old mentality "the Emperor provides for basic necessities" in old cultures, where you are supposed to earn only as much as you need to survive. You should not determine your rates according to what you need to barely survive. That's a recipe for misery.
There are quite a few countries where this mentality is one of the factors the country itself is poorer (when a computer programmer in India sells the same exact code - the same exact product - as the one from a US programmer).
You're on the Internet now. The internet is not your culture, it's a bazaar. The internet is not local, your address is nowhere and everywhere. You can even make a webpage saying that you're a large agency; put some skyscrapers in the background. It's not forbidden, it's perfectly legal.
Change your profile address and find what common rates in your language pair are in the largest volumes - btw those posted on Proz are about 30% higher than in reality (people lie).

[Edited at 2024-01-14 23:58 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Tanja Oresnik
Baran Keki
Grace Anderson
Anna Sarah Krämer

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lefteris Jan 15

Lefteris Kritikakis wrote:

No, translators must always be honest. While international borders have become blurry on the internet, your physical location is still your physical location, and if asked, you should speak the truth.

Angie Garbarino
Zea_Mays
Ester Vidal
Morano El-Kholy
Inge Schumacher
Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Of course Jan 15

Samuel Murray wrote:

No, translators must always be honest. While international borders have become blurry on the internet, your physical location is still your physical location, and if asked, you should speak the truth.

Also how will one issue invoices? This is a fraude. I am surprised to see so many agree to this unethical advice, explain how can one issue invoices. And how about the VIES (Greece is subjected to VIES). And payment of taxes?

[Edited at 2024-01-15 10:55 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Ester Vidal
Morano El-Kholy
Inge Schumacher
Becca Resnik

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It was just an example Jan 15

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Not in Europe tough.

Based on maths. I know nothing over the cost of living in the Emirates or in Venezuela or El Salvador

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
$100 Jan 15

Samuel Murray wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

We are not talking about people, we are talking about translators. Translator OK with $100/month, how do they work? Do they pay bills (electricity, etc.) ? Do they steal Internet from their neighbor? Now consider these, without any food, and come back and say how $100/month will suffice.

There are quite a few countries where this mentality is one of the factors the country itself is poorer (when a computer programmer in India sells the same exact code - the same exact product - as the one from a US programmer).
You're on the Internet now. The internet is not your culture, it's a bazaar. The internet is not local, your address is nowhere and everywhere. You can even make a webpage saying that you're a large agency; put some skyscrapers in the background. It's not forbidden, it's perfectly legal.
Change your profile address and find what common rates in your language pair are in the largest volumes - btw those posted on Proz are about 30% higher than in reality (people lie).

[Edited at 2024-01-14 23:58 GMT]

Was this a joke? What will happen when they are about to send an invoice, will they have US or UK bank account to present on the invoice? No, Internet is NOT a cloud completely disconnected from reality, quite the contrary.

[Edited at 2024-01-15 10:01 GMT]

Inge Schumacher

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Absurd stuff Jan 15

This post is getting more and more absurd. No one can help Ammar in this... It is his own adventure and he must know what he is willing to accept. End of the story.

Lingua 5B
Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder
Inge Schumacher

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Main problem Jan 15

Arne Krueger wrote:

This post is getting more and more absurd. No one can help Ammar in this... It is his own adventure and he must know what he is willing to accept. End of the story.

His main problem seems to be lack of clients, not what he is willing to accept.

He was very confident about 0.01 securing a large pool of clients, but now this dream has been shattered, and now he's wondering what happened. What happened is that he got a competitor - someone working for half a cent/word.

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
@Lefteris Jan 15

Hi Lefteris,

Not surprising that it's alm
... See more

Hi Lefteris,

Not surprising that it's almost impossible to find any reliable information about you!!

I hope (and think) that the other linguists here don't have the same approach as you. Life is already "hard" enough, we don't need any liars and scammers!

Inge
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Watch your tongue! Jan 15

Inge Schumacher wrote:

Hi Lefteris,

Not surprising that it's almost impossible to find any reliable information about you!!

I hope (and think) that the other linguists here don't have the same approach as you. Life is already "hard" enough, we don't need any liars and scammers!

Inge

Everything on my profile is true about me. I was merely pointing out that "residence address" is irrelevant to jobs that are done exclusively over the internet (and I've been saying that for 20+ years).

Your comment is a direct insult to me, and borders on slander. Watch your tongue!

[Edited at 2024-01-15 13:31 GMT]

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
It's not a joke, it's a reality of THIS job Jan 15

Lingua 5B wrote:

Was this a joke? What will happen when they are about to send an invoice, will they have US or UK bank account to present on the invoice? No, Internet is NOT a cloud completely disconnected from reality, quite the contrary.

[Edited at 2024-01-15 10:01 GMT]

If you think this is a joke, explain to me why Agencies prices are irrelevant to their stated registered address. Agencies in the US have about the same prices to end-clients as agencies in Italy.

For years in here you are promoting the idea that translators should price according to their cost of living. While at the same time, the agency charges the end-client the same amount regardless of the translator's cost of living etc.

So in the case of the original poster, we may have agencies charging the client 20 cents per word, and he charges 1. Because nobody told him what's going on.

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Hold it... Jan 15

We have reached the end for this discussion. I thank everyone for their professional answers. You may revert back to your work now. ^^

Angie Garbarino

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I charge $0.01/w, I have 3 years of experience, how much should I be charging?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »