Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Francia
Local time: 04:54
francés al inglés
+ ...
Whatever you call it... Oct 25, 2010

...it still isn't all that useful.

Suppose translator A answers one question and their answer happens to get picked. They have a rating of 100%.

Now let us suppose translator B answers 10,000 questions and their answers are picked 8,000 times. They have a rating of 80%.

Who is likely to be the better translator?

T.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 20:54
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Proz 2000 Oct 25, 2010

If we hadn't enhance our vision in 2000, then we'd have today the same interface of that year. I think we must vote and decide when we are gonna implement this easy and useful idea.

Dmitry Murzakov
Dmitry Murzakov  Identity Verified
Federación Rusa
Local time: 06:54
inglés al ruso
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Look deeper! Oct 25, 2010

Terry Richards wrote:

...it still isn't all that useful.

Suppose translator A answers one question and their answer happens to get picked. They have a rating of 100%.

Now let us suppose translator B answers 10,000 questions and their answers are picked 8,000 times. They have a rating of 80%.

Who is likely to be the better translator?

T.

A wise man will watch at the number of his scores firstly. The feature can be displayed below scores statistics.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 19:54
inglés al español
A “helpful answers percentage ratio” does not evaluate a translator's professional level Oct 25, 2010

Dmitry Murzakov wrote:

I selected another name for it – “helpful answers percentage ratio”... This ratio will not change anything but it is a comfortable feature to evaluate translator’s professional level.

Dmitry,

I am sorry, but I disagree with you.

If a translator provides a perfect answer, and the asker chooses one of the wrong answers, it would negatively affect the ratio of the translator who provided the correct answer and benefit the translator whose wrong answer was chosen.

How could this possibly “evaluate a translator’s professional level”?

How could this possibly be a "comfortable feature"?

No matter what you call it, such ratio would be very misleading.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 03:54
sueco al inglés
+ ...
We??? Oct 25, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I think we must vote and decide when we are gonna implement this easy and useful idea.

I most have missed something here. Firstly, to my knowledge we, whether mere users or full-paying members, do not actually have any kind of legal mandate to force ProZ to implement any of our preferred features (although, we can of course try to influence the company). Secondly, as I'm sure you can read from the postings in this thread, we do not all agree with this suggestion. Still you propose that "we vote and decide WHEN we are gonna implement".

If you want a feature implemented, I suggest that you first find some kind of majority consensus in the forums.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 20:54
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
votings Oct 25, 2010

Yes, we these never ending debates must be ended with votings. Of course, just the people really interested in any specific issue participate. If you don't want to vote, there no galactic/global/state/federal/national regulation which can force you to vote. I will as it has a noble goal: to improve the site. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting those votings to implement some other proposals:
- The I like it button
- The
... See more
Yes, we these never ending debates must be ended with votings. Of course, just the people really interested in any specific issue participate. If you don't want to vote, there no galactic/global/state/federal/national regulation which can force you to vote. I will as it has a noble goal: to improve the site. As a matter of fact, I'm waiting those votings to implement some other proposals:
- The I like it button
- The tiny flags for our conutries andd/or pairs...yes, like Trados.
- Several sortings of the Kudoz table
- Kudoz splitting.
- et al.

I was looking the interface this site had in 2000. Do you imagine all the changes and improvements made done? I can also imagine that the numbers of:
- "No, I don't like it"
- "No, what for?"
- "No, it won't be useful"

is also high
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 03:54
sueco al inglés
+ ...
You still seem to think that [b]our[/b] vote.. Oct 25, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Yes, we these never ending debates must be ended with votings.

I'm waiting those votings to implement some other proposals

...has the power of implementing features.

Unless you can make a serious business case for a feature, and ProZ's executives can see the benefits of this feature, I doubt that our vote will ensure your feature's implementation.

If are able to implement features just on the strength of a few agrees in a forum thread, you appear to have more power than most of us.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:54
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
Two issues are clear Oct 25, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

As a matter of fact, I'm waiting those votings to implement some other proposals:
- The I like it button
- The tiny flags for our conutries andd/or pairs...yes, like Trados.
- Several sortings of the Kudoz table
- Kudoz splitting.
- et al.

Hi Yaotl,

I can answer now about two of these points:

Flags will not replace country names. Flags have an emotional value that country names do not have.

Splitting KudoZ was evaluated many years ago and it was concluded that the added complexity outweighed any possible advantage. Large numbers should ensure fairness in the long run.

Regards,
Enrique

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Answers accuracy rating

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »