Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Quality assessment - how much do you charge?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:13
Greek to English
All hours are not equal Oct 29, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Yes, one fixed rate. An hour of my time is an hour of my time.

(That said... I do charge some clients a lower hourly rate because they wouldn't stomach my standard hourly rate, just as I charge some less per word. But I only take their work if I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs or if it's something I really enjoy.)

There's a character in Catch-22 who tries to spend as much of his time as possible being bored. The reason is that when you're bored, time passes more slowly, so by maximising your boredom, you live longer - subjectively, anyway.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do charge a higher hourly rate for work I know I'm going to be bored silly by, than for work I expect to find interesting. I suppose I could justify this by saying I'm charging for subjective time, rather than objective time.

I wouldn't mention the Catch-22 part, though.

Christopher Schröder
Tony Keily

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Awesome point :) Oct 29, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Yes, one fixed rate. An hour of my time is an hour of my time.

(That said... I do charge some clients a lower hourly rate because they wouldn't stomach my standard hourly rate, just as I charge some less per word. But I only take their work if I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs or if it's something I really enjoy.)

There's a character in Catch-22 who tries to spend as much of his time as possible being bored. The reason is that when you're bored, time passes more slowly, so by maximising your boredom, you live longer - subjectively, anyway.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do charge a higher hourly rate for work I know I'm going to be bored silly by, than for work I expect to find interesting. I suppose I could justify this by saying I'm charging for subjective time, rather than objective time.

very interesting approach - I really might try that Thank you!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hours and hours… Oct 29, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

Absolutely. The risk is that you end up taking longer to do the boring jobs than you quoted or than is fair to bill the client. All the day dreaming and extra coffee breaks.

And then there are the intense, high-pressure hours, of which you can only manage so many in a day or week, which you could reasonably charge at a rate of two or three hours per hour.

I try to avoid both.

Tony Keily

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Thank you, Vladimir Nov 2, 2021

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

As a separate note, you need to clarify what the client means by proofreading.

ISO 17100 standard:
-------------------------------
post-edit
edit and correct machine translation output (2.2.3)
check
examination of target language content (2.3.3) carried out by the translator (2.4.4)
revision
bilingual examination of target language content (2.3.3) against source language content (2.3.2) for its suitability for the agreed purpose
Note 1 to entry: The term bilingual editing is sometimes used as a synonym for revision.
review
monolingual examination of target language content (2.3.3) for its suitability for the agreed purpose
Note 1 to entry: The term monolingual editing is sometimes used as a synonym for review.
proofread
examine the revised target language content (2.3.3) and apply corrections before printing

Clients often want revision but expect proofreading rates

[Edited at 2021-10-28 13:26 GMT]

I thought only I had an issue with this. I've been posting about the standard terminology forever. On the one hand you have people complaining that translation isn't taken seriously as a professional activity, and on the other you have translators and TSPs banging on about QC and proofreading. Use the words with their standard meaning or just call what you're doing anyoldshit.

But even for that, an hour is still an hour!

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Or spice, maybe Nov 2, 2021

Philip Lees wrote:

Although it sounds like a Brasseye/Chris Morris wind-up, I read today about a relatively recently controlled substance called 'spice' (really an umbrella term for a whole range of synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists) that's all the rage in UK prisons because it knocks you half out and makes time pass faster (and UK prisons are increasingly filled with people on long sentences).

It might be useful to develop a variant that could be used while QAing (long sentences).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the laughs :) Nov 2, 2021

Tony Keily wrote:

Philip Lees wrote:

Although it sounds like a Brasseye/Chris Morris wind-up, I read today about a relatively recently controlled substance called 'spice' (really an umbrella term for a whole range of synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists) that's all the rage in UK prisons because it knocks you half out and makes time pass faster (and UK prisons are increasingly filled with people on long sentences).

It might be useful to develop a variant that could be used while QAing (long sentences).

This discussion is highly amusing and educational at the same time - thanks a lot, guys! Highly appreciate it!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality assessment - how much do you charge?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »