Kudoz and site rules - When rules are changed, please send us automatic notifications!
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2012

2 months ago terms that contained more than 1 term (2 or 3 terms) were deleted. Sometimes questions were left there for 2 days, people answered, answers received agrees and the asker was about the close the question and then whoops the whole question with the answers disappeared. I'm usually on the other side (answerer). So I skipped terms with more than 1 term. Now I see more and more questions with much more than 1 term and I was wondering what happened. I have just read that the rules of ask... See more
2 months ago terms that contained more than 1 term (2 or 3 terms) were deleted. Sometimes questions were left there for 2 days, people answered, answers received agrees and the asker was about the close the question and then whoops the whole question with the answers disappeared. I'm usually on the other side (answerer). So I skipped terms with more than 1 term. Now I see more and more questions with much more than 1 term and I was wondering what happened. I have just read that the rules of asking questions have changed:

"Texts posted for translation via KudoZ should be limited to approximately ten (10) words. For longer texts, it is recommended that the directory or job posting system be used to locate an appropriate professional."

My opinion and question are the following:

Nobody has the time to browse the Kudoz rules every single day or weekly. Those people who are close to the "fire" (moderators or people who can suggest rules to proz) of course know these site/Kudoz rule changes.

I am wondering about why we (users and members) not receiving automatic notifications about Kudoz rule changes or if new site rules have been added?
How can someone keep a site/Kudoz rule if it changes without any notice? Proz is asking ask to keep rules but how can someone keep up with so many rules if they are continuously changing without any notice?

[Edited at 2012-08-09 14:26 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:36
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
No changes Aug 9, 2012

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
I have just read that the rules of asking questions have changed:

"Texts posted for translation via KudoZ should be limited to approximately ten (10) words. For longer texts, it is recommended that the directory or job posting system be used to locate an appropriate professional."

As far as I remember, the wording of this rule was defined by mid-2006 and was not changed ever since.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is confusing because I experienced something different Aug 9, 2012

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
I have just read that the rules of asking questions have changed:

As far as I remember, the wording of this rule was defined by mid-2006 and was not changed ever since.

Regards,
Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Then how this happened?

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/hungarian_to_english/medical:_cardiology/4679954-cx_om_rrv.html

CX OM RRV

These were within 1 sentence and they were connected with each other.

So if somebody asks the whole question with these 3 terms then it won't be deleted?
Also there were other questions that were less than 10 words and they were connected with each other but they were deleted. Since then I skipped all questions that contained more than 1 term. Because I received the notification that questions with more than 1 term will be deleted.

Best regards,
Katalin

[Edited at 2012-08-09 14:36 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
KudoZ rule 2.3 Aug 9, 2012

KudoZ rule 2.3, also an old one:
    One term is allowed per question. Including multiple terms for translation in a single KudoZ posting interferes with the process of generating glossary entries.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the answer, Enrique Aug 9, 2012

As you can see these 2 rules contradict with each other.

"One term is allowed per question. Including multiple terms for translation in a single KudoZ posting interferes with the process of generating glossary entries.

So texts as a K
... See more

"One term is allowed per question. Including multiple terms for translation in a single KudoZ posting interferes with the process of generating glossary entries.

So texts as a Kudoz question can contain 10 words but only 1 term can be asked?
It does not make sense.

Or do you mean?

CX and OM and RRV -> this is a text

CX OM RRV -> and these are terms?

So if somebody writes and's btw. the terms then it can be sked without the question to be deleted?
By the way terms are words, too and words are also terms.

So either way the 2 rules totally contradict each other.

Best regards,
Katalin

[Edited at 2012-08-09 17:33 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Terms is not the same as words Aug 9, 2012

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

So texts as a Kudoz question can contain 10 words but only 1 term can be asked?
It does not make sense.

Terms is not the same as words. For instance "fixed wing aircraft" is one term and three words.

Please see this FAQ.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the explanation, Enrique Aug 9, 2012

The way how rules are worded right now, should be changed. Because the way how rules are implemented depend how that specific site staff understands the meaning and the linguistic coherence. Those 3 terms I mentioned previously were written in a sentence, right beside each other and the asker gave that sentence as an explanation in his/her question... See more
The way how rules are worded right now, should be changed. Because the way how rules are implemented depend how that specific site staff understands the meaning and the linguistic coherence. Those 3 terms I mentioned previously were written in a sentence, right beside each other and the asker gave that sentence as an explanation in his/her question.

Or after this Kudoz: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_hungarian/other/4789816-controls_demands_and_rewards.html I rather did not answer questions with more than 1 word: this was a title in psychology, so if somebody asks these 3 words separately then it would make the question pointless.

Katalin

[Edited at 2012-08-09 15:21 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz and site rules - When rules are changed, please send us automatic notifications!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »