wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Chinese to English
+ ...
Limited exposure to the nonsense Jan 13, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

时下的网络语言,流行的就是,有话不好好说,有字不好好写,故意用谐音,让你猜。严肃的翻译工作者看了会气死。

You can say that again. I'm thoroughly disgusted by 赤果果 already.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
“红果果” Jan 13, 2014

http://www.baike.com/wiki/赤果果

FWIW.

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
居然 Jan 13, 2014

wherestip wrote:

http://www.baike.com/wiki/赤果果

FWIW.

居然已经有了词条。存在即合理呀!

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
我也这样想 Jan 13, 2014

Zhoudan wrote:

去度假就度假,何必又这么劳苦呢?人生苦短,该工作时应工作,该休息就休息。可能是人到中年了,我看问题的角度也都变了。

十月中旬我去了欧洲两个月,探望亲人和朋友,但后来决定不带笔记本,只借用(占用)姐姐的,还好是这样。活永远干不完。但毕竟我还是很喜欢金子的,中间也接了一件大型案子,直接发给一个同行做了。

建议Ying开始建立自己一个小网络,如果想去旅行又接到案子,可发给同行干。至于如何报价等等,Proz这里很多人都有经验,可以大家一齐分享想法。

当然这个人的翻译能力一定要好,能信任的,要不然放一次假砸一次招牌。

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢Rita Jan 13, 2014

Rita Pang wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

去度假就度假,何必又这么劳苦呢?人生苦短,该工作时应工作,该休息就休息。可能是人到中年了,我看问题的角度也都变了。

十月中旬我去了欧洲两个月,探望亲人和朋友,但后来决定不带笔记本,只借用(占用)姐姐的,还好是这样。活永远干不完。但毕竟我还是很喜欢金子的,中间也接了一件大型案子,直接发给一个同行做了。

建议Ying开始建立自己一个小网络,如果想去旅行又接到案子,可发给同行干。至于如何报价等等,Proz这里很多人都有经验,可以大家一齐分享想法。

当然这个人的翻译能力一定要好,能信任的,要不然放一次假砸一次招牌。

赞Rita!你是很有经营天分的,再加上多语种的优势,做翻译这行大有可为!

谢谢你的建议,组建一个小团队是我将来努力的方向。这方面,我得多向你学习呢。

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
There's a reason for this Jan 14, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

或戏称为“赤果果的炫耀”。

赤果果 真不愧为大白字先生.

时下的网络语言,流行的就是,有话不好好说,有字不好好写,故意用谐音,让你猜。严肃的翻译工作者看了会气死。

I would say this word would never have been coined were if not for the Internet content censorship system in China.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
赤裸裸 Jan 14, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

I would say this word would never have been coined were if not for the Internet content censorship system in China.

From the link http://www.baike.com/wiki/赤果果

传闻这个网络用语的生成是因为一些大论坛屏蔽了如“裸”一类的字词,于是网民们就会碰到明明不是[哗]的内容却被屏蔽的事情,于是就通过另类地释义来调侃出红果果这个网络用语。

IMO, that's not a good excuse at all.

How about 毫无掩饰、大言不惭、腆着脸 ... IMO, there are plenty of ways to get around that kind of censorship.

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
Can't we allow some entertainment? Jan 14, 2014

In written texts, of course, this should never be used.

However in colloquial usage, you cannot simply replace one phrase with another that has similar meanings. Try this:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

Call it disgusting or whatever, you cannot ignore this trend in the development of the Chinese language. And I guess the same thing happened in history: when modern Chinese became popular in literature in ear
... See more

However in colloquial usage, you cannot simply replace one phrase with another that has similar meanings. Try this:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

Call it disgusting or whatever, you cannot ignore this trend in the development of the Chinese language. And I guess the same thing happened in history: when modern Chinese became popular in literature in early 1900s, most people thought it was vulgar and not decent enough compared with classical Chinese. Guess what happened?

IMO, we should never think of any language usage as "disgusting", as long as it is not intended to disgust us. Language is not the property of a single person or a group of people, rather, it belongs to everyone who uses it. That is why language is so colorful: you can never predict how it is going to evolve.

So instead of accusing, why not be more open-minded and try this: hmmm, this is quite interesting. Why are people using language this way? Maybe I need to find out. If you explore further, you can find more interesting things that lie beneath the seemingly "vulgar" words.

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really don't see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant. Translation is not a leisurely job, why not just laugh it off and have some fun?

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

传闻这个网络用语的生成是因为一些大论坛屏蔽了如“裸”一类的字词,于是网民们就会碰到明明不是[哗]的内容却被屏蔽的事情,于是就通过另类地释义来调侃出红果果这个网络用语。

How about 毫无掩饰、大言不惭、腆着脸 ... IMO, there are plenty of ways to get around that kind of censorship.

[Edited at 2014-01-14 03:23 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Huh? Jan 14, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

Call it disgusting or whatever, you cannot ignore this trend in the development of the Chinese language. And I guess the same thing happened in history: when modern Chinese became popular in literature in early 1900s, most people thought it was vulgar and not decent enough compared with classical Chinese. Guess what happened?

IMO, we should never think of any language usage as "disgusting", as long as it is not intended to disgust us. Language is not the property of a single person or a group of people, rather, it belongs to everyone who uses it. That is why language is so colorful: you can never predict how it is going to evolve.

So instead of accusing, why not be more open-minded and try this: hmmm, this is quite interesting. Why are people using language this way? Maybe I need to find out. If you explore further, you can find more interesting things that lie beneath the seemingly "vulgar" words.

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant. Translation is not a leisurely job, why not just laugh it off and have some fun?

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

You don't have to cock such an attitude, do you?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
People's Daily 并非圣经 Jan 14, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really don't see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant.

这种下流名词现在竟然成了时髦名词了。在《非诚勿扰》节目上,不但男主持人拿这种下流名词形容某女嘉宾,连某些女嘉宾都稀里糊涂地用它来形容自己。如果连人民日报也使用这种下流名词,那么这个国家的媒体就确实不可救药了!

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
I Have to Jan 14, 2014

Seems to me the ProZ Chinese forum is a bit too conservative. Too much criticism and too little tolerance here.

If you are living in mainland China, you would be surprised about a lot of new words that appear every day. The truth is, admit it or not, we are getting used to it and some are indeed widely used.

Some words that seem offending to you are actually just used as for self-mocking purposes. The general public need an outlet for their suppressed emotions. They can
... See more
Seems to me the ProZ Chinese forum is a bit too conservative. Too much criticism and too little tolerance here.

If you are living in mainland China, you would be surprised about a lot of new words that appear every day. The truth is, admit it or not, we are getting used to it and some are indeed widely used.

Some words that seem offending to you are actually just used as for self-mocking purposes. The general public need an outlet for their suppressed emotions. They can't go on parades, they can't express themselves freely, and they can't change the increasing gap between the poor and the rich.

The only thing left for them to do is to find some entertainment in language itself. I am not cocking such an attitude. I am just telling the true feeling as someone who lives in mainland China.

Keep laughing at those who use these words. It won't change anything.

wherestip wrote:
You don't have to cock such an attitude, do you?
Collapse

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are right. Jan 14, 2014

You might as well say the people who mock themselves as "屌丝" are totally helpless.
Thank you.

ysun wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really don't see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant.

这种下流名词现在竟然成了时髦名词了。在《非诚勿扰》节目上,不但男主持人拿这种下流名词形容某女嘉宾,连某些女嘉宾都稀里糊涂地用它来形容自己。如果连人民日报也使用这种下流名词,那么这个国家的媒体就确实不可救药了!

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
从一个极端到另一个极端 Jan 14, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

我在北美一个华人bbs上潜水多年,那里多数是年龄相仿的年轻人(现在,不少已步入中年)。那里的帖子,充斥着BSO,或戏称为“赤果果的炫耀”。

这个论坛,严肃地紧,好像不大有译者出来BSO,因此连Steve 对这个缩写都要先查证一下。:D

论坛的氛围的确还有待进一步调整。活泼、温暖、友好的气氛才是比较理想的。每个人对他人都应抱有最大限度的宽容,对自己也能做到理性的节制,以利于论坛朋友之间的快乐交流,快乐分享。

Jacky Ye
Jacky Ye  Identity Verified
China
Member (2012)
English to Chinese
这里的 Jan 14, 2014

气氛
确实
有点
太严肃

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

行万里路,译万字书--freelancer's lifestyle

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »