Thread poster: Daniel Rich
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sure Jul 13, 2022

It's very sad that the translation profession is dying as machines take over. Here, rates are getting lower by the day and there is a worrying increase in MTPE rather than good ol' human translation. I would not recommend translation as a profession, not from the financial standpoint. It is OK to do something you love but when creditors start phoning it makes you think. There are very few jobs, and these tend to be small jobs, not books and manuals like in the good old days.

David GAY
SandraV
Marsel Khisamutdinov
Stephen Emm

David GAY
David GAY
Local time: 14:09
English to French
+ ...
new designation Jul 15, 2022

The term Translator doesn t exist any more. It s been replaced by the term MTPE Resource. A MTPE Resource is a guy willing to complete 100 word jobs once upon a time for peanuts

[Edited at 2022-07-15 21:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-15 22:43 GMT]

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
New take Aug 15, 2022

It's not dead. It has just been "hidden".

"Thank you in advance for your understanding and future cooperation".

Hubertus Mueller
Hubertus Mueller  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
English to German
Singularity seems to be there in 2027 Dec 23, 2022

According to the graph approximately half down this article:

https://translated.com/speed-to-singularity

I'm struggling to see how there will still be a lot of human translation work after that date. The article denies this, but it doesn't give a real explanation why human translators would still be needed.

Jessie Jimenez
Jessie Jimenez
United States
It's not Dec 27, 2022

I don't think that translation is dead. Maybe only for those who believe that there is only English

John Fossey

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Who's killing it? Dec 27, 2022

Many "translators" use MT anyway and sell their MTPE as translation.

They'll admit as much themselves, just read the forums. It saves time, which for them is so much more important than improving quality. A shortcut to avoid using my skills and education? Sure, bring it in!

So why should a client pay the price of human translation to someone who is basically swindling them?

We ourselves are dragging the art of translation into the mediocrity of machine post
... See more

They'll admit as much themselves, just read the forums. It saves time, which for them is so much more important than improving quality. A shortcut to avoid using my skills and education? Sure, bring it in!

So why should a client pay the price of human translation to someone who is basically swindling them?

We ourselves are dragging the art of translation into the mediocrity of machine post-editing. Well, except for those rare ones who abhor MT and still believe in the huge advantages of the human brain over machines when human language is involved.
Collapse

Cetacea

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hope Dec 27, 2022

I hope all those who genuinely think translation is dead will now put their money where their mouths are, and leave the industry.

That will mean more work for people like me.

Michael Jelnov
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Cetacea

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Difficult (and Controversial) Task of Integrating Machine "Translation" Tools into Professional Dec 28, 2022

A State of Flux - The Difficult (and Controversial) Task of Integrating Machine "Translation" Tools into Professional Translation

https://www.languagecrawler.com/2021/04/a-state-of-flux-difficult-and.html

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What's wrong with using an NMT engine properly? Dec 28, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

We ourselves are dragging the art of translation into the mediocrity of machine post-editing. Well, except for those rare ones who abhor MT and still believe in the huge advantages of the human brain over machines when human language is involved.

Daniel, any CAT tool or NMT engine is just that, a tool. A person can use a chisel to kill someone, while a skillful carpenter can create a masterpiece.

I use an adaptive NMT engine on my projects (no NDA breaches here, as I use a desktop product, with all databases kept locally). I post-edit the suggested translations seeking to come up with a perfect translation.

What's wrong with that? Do I swindle my clients? Don't I use my human brain as much as you do? The high repeat business rate suggests otherwise.

I extend the benefit of a shorter turnaround time and reduced total project cost to my clients. It seems they're happy with what I deliver because some of them have been staying with me since the mid-2000s.

I'm happy too because I enjoy a very nice return on my working time in terms of the effective hourly rate.

expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Jorge Payan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's rude and disrespectful Dec 28, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Well, except for those rare ones who abhor MT and still believe in the huge advantages of the human brain over machines when human language is involved.

You don't want to use MT or you don't like it, that's fine. It's your choice and you have the right to work with the tools you want. I can respect everyone who don't use it, including you.
In case you didn't know, with or without MT the brain of a professional translator works the same or better than a professional translator who doesn't use MT.
However, that doesn't give you the right to indirectly call other translators who use it ignorants. That is rude and disrespectful to us.

Vladimir Pochinov
Thomas T. Frost
Lieven Malaise

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
@Vladimir Pochinov, replying to "What's wrong with using an NMT engine properly?" Dec 28, 2022

Quite simply, it's not translation anymore. It's post-editing: quicker, cheaper, and slightly to moderately lower quality.

It's not shameful per se, it's just two different things.

Just don't call yourself a translator – you're a post-editor now.

Cetacea
Miranda Drew

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Daniel, you're quite arrogant indeed Dec 28, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Quite simply, it's not translation anymore. It's post-editing: quicker, cheaper, and slightly to moderately lower quality.

Just don't call yourself a translator – you're a post-editor now.

Who are you, Daniel, to say that the quality of my translations became moderately lower? I don't remember any translation request from you since the time I joined ProZ in December 1999. I do not know whether you are a superb translator, even if you refuse to use any NMT engine. Doing so doesn't make you a role model in our industry. I remember people telling me in a ProZ forum thread that they would never touch a computer (that person used to work locally and deliver his translations by going to his clients on his bike. Where's he now? Is he still using his quill to churn out his masterpieces?

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Lieven Malaise
E-nauta

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
  Dec 28, 2022

Vladimir, you have a machine now doing the work that your brain should do, and indeed has done for several years.

If you're happy with it, and your clients are happy too – hey, be my guest. Just don't call it translation, because it's not.

Guess I'm done now. Happy post-editing to all.

[Edited at 2022-12-28 12:01 GMT]

Cetacea

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
So is it goodbye forever? Dec 28, 2022

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Vladimir, you have a machine now doing the work that your brain should do, and indeed has done for several years.

If you're happy with it, and your clients are happy too – hey, be my guest. Just don't call it translation, because it's not.

Guess I'm done now. Happy post-editing to all.

[Edited at 2022-12-28 12:01 GMT]

So is it goodbye forever?

Obviously I'm hoping not to get an answer !

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Staying power of a veteran translator / post-editor Dec 28, 2022

As a ProZ old-timer, I've seen many colleagues come and go ... I'm still here alive and kicking, despite everything

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation is dead as a profession

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »