wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
Chinese to English
+ ...
entirely correct Feb 16, 2016

ysun wrote:

因此,这句话也许应该译为 “本发明不限于所示的实施例,而应被赋予与本文所公开的原理及特征相符(或相一致)的最广泛范围。当然,应该还有更确切、更完善的译法。我只是抛砖引玉而已。欢迎继续探讨。

J.H.,

Yueyin 说得很对,原英文的这下半句是被动语气 "to be accorded ...", 而且并没具体指定什么人。

这就是说所有人对此 system 都应 赋予 “这种”(即与本文所公开的原理及特征相符(或相一致))最广泛的 “应用范围以及理解与解释” (简明地说就是 the scope)。这内含且泛指的 “所有人” 不光包括审批机构,还包括着同行业的工程技术人员、任何阅览这个专利的随即读者、以及没有读过这个专利但无意中侵权或企图侵权的发明人,等等。

(至于专利经专利局审核,是否被批准认可而授予专利权则另当别论了。)

总之,英文原文的分析理解应是如此,但具体翻成中文,意思表达清楚正确就成。因此我觉得你们两人的翻译版本都很好。 

[Edited at 2016-02-17 04:33 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 17:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
这个讨论很有意思... Feb 17, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:
应该说,这里的 system 可以说是一个 general的系统,embodiments 是其不同的具体实现形式。embodiments 在次要的方面可以有差异,但是其原理和基本特征是相同的,也就是与 the principles and features disclosed herein 一致。

也就是说,这整句话是说 the system 的涵盖 embodiments 范围不限于本文所举的例子,凡是与其原理和特征一致的 embodiments 都属于其 the system。

... 掺和一下

我觉得 “the system” 是指申请专利的发明,作为一个整体它应该包括发明概念(the inventive concept)和具体的实施及途径。我的理解是,英文原句并非着重于陈述除所示实施例外,“the system 还包括” 什么实施例;前半句很明显是在陈述此项发明不局限于所示具体实施例,而后半句旨在指出对此项专利发明的全面栓释应该是什么- 我觉得这正是孙先生和 Steve 所指出的:

ysun wrote:

应该说,这个 scope 是指 the scope of the invention,而不是 the scope of claims。但是,界定 the scope of the invention 的目的就是为了界定 the scope of claims。

我认为,the widest scope 不是一个大的子集。而应该说,the widest scope 覆盖了全集,也覆盖了 the embodiments shown。

wherestip wrote:

这就是说所有人对此 system 都应 赋予 “这种”(即与本文所公开的原理及特征相符(或相一致))最广泛的 “应用范围以及理解与解释” (简明地说就是 the scope)。这内含且泛指的 “所有人” 不光包括审批机构,还包括着同行业的工程技术人员、任何阅览这个专利的随即读者、以及没有读过这个专利但无意中侵权或企图侵权的发明人,等等。

[Edited at 2016-02-17 03:35 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
与前一句话的关联 Feb 17, 2016

这句话应该与前一句话联系起来理解:

Various modifications to the disclosed embodiments will be readily apparent to those skilled in the art, and the general principles defined herein may be applied to other embodiments and applications without departing from the spirit and scope of the present embodiments. Thus, the system is not limited to the embodiments shown, but is to be accorded the widest scope consistent with the principles and features disclosed herein.
... See more
这句话应该与前一句话联系起来理解:

Various modifications to the disclosed embodiments will be readily apparent to those skilled in the art, and the general principles defined herein may be applied to other embodiments and applications without departing from the spirit and scope of the present embodiments. Thus, the system is not limited to the embodiments shown, but is to be accorded the widest scope consistent with the principles and features disclosed herein.

之所以说 “Thus, the system is not limited to the embodiments shown”,那是因为专利申请者认为,前一句话中的 “Various modifications to the disclosed embodiments” 以及应用 “the general principles” 之后而得出的 “other embodiments”,也应属于本发明的范围。如果说“不限于...而且包括”的话,那么这个“包括”是指包括前一句话中的那些 embodiments,而不是指包括后面的 widest scope。相反,应该说 the widest scope 涵盖了前一句话中的 embodiments 以及后一句话中的 "the embodiments shown”。 

因此,申请者认为,应该认定该发明具有与 “the principles and features disclosed herein” 一致的最广泛范围。我认为,to be accorded 的行为主体应该是专利审查机构,即知识产权局,例如 SIPO、WIPO 和 USPTO。一旦专利审查机构认定发明范围之后,也就是授予专利权之后,所有其他人就得承认这个范围,否则就构成侵权。
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Wikipedia Page Explanation Feb 17, 2016

Yueyin,

I'm not familiar with patent law, so I was just going by the language.

This definition of "patent application" by Wikipedia seems pretty interesting though, especially the part about the informational content existing in perpetuity, no matter what the outcome of the application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_application

Definition
As pointed out by Peter Prescott QC, the expression "patent application" is ambiguous.[1] It can bear two different meanings:

1. The legal state of affairs that is constituted when a person requests the competent authority to grant him a patent and that request is still outstanding.
2. The content of the document or documents which that person filed with a view to initiating the above; most pertinently, a description of the invention together with at least one claim purporting to define it.[1]
The first of those – the request for a legal privilege to which you will be entitled if your application be well founded – is an institutional fact, and is temporal by its very nature. It ceases to exist as soon as your application is withdrawn, is refused, or is granted. The second of those, the informational content of the document as filed (or in other, prosaic words, the piece of paper), is a historical fact that never goes away, no matter what the Patent Office does, or anyone else does. It exists in perpetuity.[1][2] The expression "application" is often employed without being conscious of its ambiguity.[3] The expression is capable of misleading even experienced professionals.[3]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Patent application Feb 17, 2016

Steve,

Yes, this definition of "patent application" by Wikipedia seems pretty interesting.

I'm not familiar with patent law, either, but I think it would be helpful if a patent translator has some knowledge about the patent law. To my understanding, if a patent application is rejected, the already disclosed informational content will not be protected by law. Anyone can use the information without risk of constituting infringement. That’s why a lot of inventors choo
... See more
Steve,

Yes, this definition of "patent application" by Wikipedia seems pretty interesting.

I'm not familiar with patent law, either, but I think it would be helpful if a patent translator has some knowledge about the patent law. To my understanding, if a patent application is rejected, the already disclosed informational content will not be protected by law. Anyone can use the information without risk of constituting infringement. That’s why a lot of inventors choose not to file patent applications. They keep their 'closely held' information in secret as know-how, but some of them would sell others a license to use their know-how.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know-how
Definition of industrial know-how

Know-how can be defined as confidentially held, or better, 'closely held' information in the form of unpatented inventions, formulae, designs, drawings, procedures and methods, together with accumulated skills and experience in the hands of a licensor firm's professional personnel which could assist a transferee/licensee of the object product in its manufacture and use and bring to it a competitive advantage.
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Term of Patent in the U.S. Feb 17, 2016

ysun wrote:

Steve,

I'm not familiar with patent law, either, but I think it would be helpful if a patent translator has some knowledge about the patent law. To my understanding, if a patent application is rejected, the already disclosed informational content will not be protected by law. Anyone can use the information without risk of constituting infringement. That’s why a lot of inventors choose not to file patent applications. They keep their 'closely held' information in secret as know-how, but some of them would sell others a license to use their know-how.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know-how
Definition of industrial know-how

Know-how can be defined as confidentially held, or better, 'closely held' information in the form of unpatented inventions, formulae, designs, drawings, procedures and methods, together with accumulated skills and experience in the hands of a licensor firm's professional personnel which could assist a transferee/licensee of the object product in its manufacture and use and bring to it a competitive advantage.

Yes, indeed. Coca-Cola is a good example of this. It will never reveal the ingredients of its secret formula.

http://www.pellegrinoandassociates.com/why-coca-cola-will-never-patent-its-formula/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_patent_in_the_United_States

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
您的理解是对的 Feb 17, 2016

ysun wrote:

我认为,the widest scope 不是一个大的子集。而应该说,the widest scope 覆盖了全集,也覆盖了 the embodiments shown。

关于 not ... but... 这个用法,我的理解出了点偏差,我把它当做 not only... but also....了,其实还是不同的。

另外,您说 scope 是 scope of invention,我也同意。不过,在这里,我觉得还可以再深化一下。就是说,the widest scope 本身可以认为是一个省略的表述,如果写完整应该是 the widest scope of embodiments consistent with..........

欢迎讨论。

[Edited at 2016-02-17 10:41 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
是这样的 Feb 17, 2016

QHE wrote:

我的理解是,英文原句并非着重于陈述除所示实施例外,“the system 还包括” 什么实施例;前半句很明显是在陈述此项发明不局限于所示具体实施例,而后半句旨在指出对此项专利发明的全面栓释应该是什么- 我觉得这正是孙先生和 Steve 所指出的:

ysun wrote:

应该说,这个 scope 是指 the scope of the invention,而不是 the scope of claims。但是,界定 the scope of the invention 的目的就是为了界定 the scope of claims。

wherestip wrote:

[Edited at 2016-02-17 03:35 GMT]

我后来意识到这一点了。:-)

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
你的解释很精辟 Feb 17, 2016

QHE wrote:

我觉得 “the system” 是指申请专利的发明,作为一个整体它应该包括发明概念(the inventive concept)和具体的实施及途径。我的理解是,英文原句并非着重于陈述除所示实施例外,“the system 还包括” 什么实施例;前半句很明显是在陈述此项发明不局限于所示具体实施例,而后半句旨在指出对此项专利发明的全面栓释应该是什么...

句中 “the system” 一词可以根据发明的具体内容而替代。例如,the process, the method, the pharmaceutical composition,等等。很多专利申请书中,干脆就用 invention 一词替代,即 “Thus, the invention is not limited to the embodiments shown, but is to be accorded the widest scope consistent with the principles and features disclosed herein." 这样一来,后半句的意思就更加清楚了:the invention is to be accorded the widest scope consistent with the principles and features disclosed herein."

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Exactly Feb 17, 2016

wherestip wrote:

Yes, indeed. Coca-Cola is a good example of this. It will never reveal the ingredients of its secret formula.

http://www.pellegrinoandassociates.com/why-coca-cola-will-never-patent-its-formula/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_patent_in_the_United_States

假如 Coca-Cola 从一开始就申请专利,它就必须在申请书中公开配方。当专利有效期过后,谁都可以自由地配制 Coca-Cola,因为这种秘密配方说穿了就很简单。那么,Coca-Cola 公司肯定早就倒闭了。

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Embodiment 与 invention 之间的关系 Feb 17, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:

不过,在这里,我觉得还可以再深化一下。就是说,the widest scope 本身可以认为是一个省略的表述,如果写完整应该是 the widest scope of embodiments consistent with..........

我认为 the widest scope 还是指 the widest scope of the invention。 Embodiment 只是 a specific, disclosed example。以下两个链接,有助于我们理解 embodiments、claims 与 invention 之间的关系。

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embodiment
Embodiment
in law,
• a specific, disclosed example of how an inventive concept, that is more generally stated elsewhere in the disclosure of a patent application or patent, can be put into practice; see Claim (patent).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_claim#Basic_types_and_categories
Patent claim
In a patent or patent application, the claims define, in technical terms, the extent, i.e. the scope, of the protection conferred by a patent, or the protection sought in a patent application. In other words, the purpose of the claims is to define which subject-matter is protected by the patent (or sought to be protected by the patent application). This is termed the "notice function" of a patent claim--to warn others of what they must not do if they are to avoid infringement liability.[1] The claims are of the utmost importance both during prosecution and litigation alike.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
两可 Feb 18, 2016

ysun wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

不过,在这里,我觉得还可以再深化一下。就是说,the widest scope 本身可以认为是一个省略的表述,如果写完整应该是 the widest scope of embodiments consistent with..........

我认为 the widest scope 还是指 the widest scope of the invention。 Embodiment 只是 a specific, disclosed example。以下两个链接,有助于我们理解 embodiments、claims 与 invention 之间的关系。

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embodiment
Embodiment
in law,
• a specific, disclosed example of how an inventive concept, that is more generally stated elsewhere in the disclosure of a patent application or patent, can be put into practice; see Claim (patent).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_claim#Basic_types_and_categories
Patent claim
In a patent or patent application, the claims define, in technical terms, the extent, i.e. the scope, of the protection conferred by a patent, or the protection sought in a patent application. In other words, the purpose of the claims is to define which subject-matter is protected by the patent (or sought to be protected by the patent application). This is termed the "notice function" of a patent claim--to warn others of what they must not do if they are to avoid infringement liability.[1] The claims are of the utmost importance both during prosecution and litigation alike.

我觉得您的理解没错。我的理解可能需要进一步的解释,大家稍等一下。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Logical issues Mar 5, 2016

http://www.proz.com/post/2527637#2527637
coolfool wrote:

Logically There Is No Problem, If I Am Not All Wet.

"The present invention discloses a method",在逻辑上是有问题的,因为 It is the applicant, not the present invention, who discloses a method。

Likewise,
His name escapes me.在逻辑上是有问题的,因为It is I, not the his name, who fail to remember his name. Unluckily, native English speakers as often as not say and write so. It simply means I can’t remember his name.

Let us consult dictionary, if I am allowed.
disclose: vt. allow (sth.) to be seen, esp. by uncovering it; or to make known (sth. heretofore kept secret)
The present invention discloses a method may perhaps be rewritten as The present invention allows a method to be seen. or The present invention makes a method known.
In the same way,
escape: vt. fail to be noticed or remembered by (sb.)
His name escapes me. can also be rephrased as His name fails to be noticed by me.

This may not be a logical problem, I guess, but the usage in English as well as in Chinese. The examples as I provide them:
本文通过考察美国最大的4家上市页岩油企业披露的财务数据,计算后发现...
本文研判认为...
在逻辑上是有问题的,因为不是本文,而是本文作者...因为本文是不会考察和计算的,更不会研判。但是,我们都知道,这个本文就是本文作者的意思。

Whether our similar Chinese sentences can be traced back to the golden olden days or the pattern was imported, or exported, sometime somewhere somehow by somebody, I am not any the wiser.

The sentences in question found in dictionaries and patent applications can be pigeon-holed but the raison d’être beneath the surface is one and the same.

Am I all at sea with the issue? More than likely. I am all eyes then.

[修改时间: 2016-03-04 16:47 GMT]

Since the above post is specifically about translation of patent publications, please allow me to move it into this thread. In the past ten days, I didn’t have much time to join the discussion as I was very busy piling up sand (not 码字) on the beaches of Florida and the Atlantis in Bahamas and I often got completely wet while riding down the water slides . Now, I am back. I will be glad to devote more of my time to this discussion.

Of course, I have no objection to the dictionary’s explanation for the word “disclose”. However, I am sorry to say that I couldn’t agree with you on the sample sentences you provided. Logically, we should say that “the inventor or assignee of the present invention allows a method to be seen ” or “the inventor or assignee of the present invention makes a method known”.

As to the Chinese article, I agree with you to what you said as shown below:
本文通过考察美国最大的4家上市页岩油企业披露的财务数据,计算后发现...
本文研判认为...
在逻辑上是有问题的,因为不是本文,而是本文作者...因为本文是不会考察和计算的,更不会研判。

However, I am wondering why you said "Logically There Is No Problem" in the title, but you said "在逻辑上是有问题的" right here?

Although we could understand what the author tried to express, it doesn’t mean that the sentence is still logical. In fact, the author should have simply changed “本文” to “本人” in these two sentences. It is not a good convention to accept an illogical sentence as a correct one just because it is understandable. Please also allow me to provide an example: a Taiwanese boy said that “如果我不好好念书,我妈妈会给我打”. By the same token, although we could understand that the boy actually tried to express “如果我不好好念书,我妈妈会打我”, it doesn’t mean what he said is logical.

Of course, I can’t say that what I said is 100% correct. If I was wrong in any aspect, I am all ears then.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请教专利翻译应该注意的问题

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »