Is Wordfast compatible for use in two language directions?
Thread poster: Marc Svetov
Marc Svetov
Marc Svetov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
Member (2007)
German to English
Dec 16, 2007

This may seem like a naive question, but is Wordfast compatible for use in two language directions? My wife and I are translators, she from English into German, and I from German into English. Can one install Wordfast and have it go in both language directions? Can it be installed in "My Network Places," for instance, which connects our two computers? Does one have to buy two separate Wordfast programs to work in both directions? Please advise.

[Edited at 2007-12-16 13:26]

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:57
English to French
+ ...
No problem : you can create different TM for different language combinations Dec 16, 2007

With Wordfast you can create as many TM as you like. For each TM you have to choose the language pair.
When you start a new translation, you can change TM or create a new one.

The above is for use on one standalone PC, I don't know about using Worfast on a network. Wordfast is in fact a kind of macro for MS Word - you don't really "install" a software, you just need to have MS Word.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:57
French to English
+ ...
Reverse languages Dec 16, 2007

You can also reverse the source and target languages using a special filter in the TM editor, so that you can use the same TM for translations into and from a particular language.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers Dec 16, 2007

Marc Svetov wrote:
Can one install Wordfast and have it go in both language directions? Can it be installed in "My Network Places," for instance, which connects our two computers?

Tricky... I think you need two licences because there are two translators. But I'm sure no-one would know if you just abuse the relicence system and create two licences -- one for you and one for your wife.

See, you need a separate licence for each computer that Wordfast is installed on (but if both computers belong to you, then you can relicence for free).

Unlike many other CAT tools that limit you to a certain number of languages, you can translate in any number of languages in a single installation of Wordfast. Different language combinations can even co-exist in a single TM, but generally I suspect it is a good idea to have only a single language combination in a TM.

If the texts you translate are written well (I mean, if the source texts are good quality writing), you can reverse your wife's TMs so that you can use them for translating in the opposite direction (although they're mostly be useful for reference searches and not so much for fuzzy matching).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Wordfast compatible for use in two language directions?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »