Wf trial version installed, starts translation session, immediately says"end of transaltion session"
Thread poster: Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
English to French
+ ...
Aug 3, 2007

Hello again,

I am beginning to pull my hair out...
I have installed Office 2004 and Wordfast, trial version (I am used to use an older Wf version, on Office 1998, so I am familiar with it).

Here is what's happening:
I open my word document, which contains images.
I open Wf and choose a TM.
I click on the arrow to start a translation session, and after one or two seconds the document is blank, with only a "section break (next page)" comment, as m
... See more
Hello again,

I am beginning to pull my hair out...
I have installed Office 2004 and Wordfast, trial version (I am used to use an older Wf version, on Office 1998, so I am familiar with it).

Here is what's happening:
I open my word document, which contains images.
I open Wf and choose a TM.
I click on the arrow to start a translation session, and after one or two seconds the document is blank, with only a "section break (next page)" comment, as many times as there are pages in my document, and it says "End of tranlsation sesion, thank you for using Wordfast"...
Then Word tells me it has encountered a problem and needs to close.

What do I do now? Thanks to those who can help me out!

Anne

PS: By the way, trying now with a text-only document, I see that it works very well. So it's the type of document obviously. Does Wordfast work with documents that include pictures (not just tables and graphs)?

[Modifié le 2007-08-03 19:58]
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:58
English to German
+ ...
Limited number of segments? Aug 4, 2007

You say "I open Wf and choose a TM."

Does the TM you selected contain more than the permitted number of segments for the trial version?

Is your older TM version compatible with the new trial version of WF?

Except that WF occasionally "eats up" the pictures after cleaning, I have not encountered any problems with pictures/images in Word files.
I simply copy&paste the missing pictures from the original file.

HTH John

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello John, Aug 4, 2007

Thank you for your answer!

I must admit that I don't know how to check the number of segments (I use Wordfast in a very "primitive" way if I can say so:
-I love the segmentation
-I find the fact that it helps me keep the layout of a document very useful
-I like the fact that is has a memory and helps me with the repetitions
but that's about it, I dont' deal (yet) with TMs per se, or the glossaries etc. I know I should learn more about it but haven't had the t
... See more
Thank you for your answer!

I must admit that I don't know how to check the number of segments (I use Wordfast in a very "primitive" way if I can say so:
-I love the segmentation
-I find the fact that it helps me keep the layout of a document very useful
-I like the fact that is has a memory and helps me with the repetitions
but that's about it, I dont' deal (yet) with TMs per se, or the glossaries etc. I know I should learn more about it but haven't had the time yet).

What I know is that it's working well with other kinds of word documents, i.e. the ones that are text only.

Yes, I can see that the new Wf version uses my "old" TM in the text-only document.

I really can't find what the problem is. I have also tried with different documents just in case it was this particular document that causes trouble, but any other document containing images blocks Wf too.

I need to keep looking.

Thanks again John!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wf trial version installed, starts translation session, immediately says"end of transaltion session"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »