Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2007

Hello!
I have purchased Wordfast and have spent a lot of time reading about setup and PB settings. But now I'm trying to see some productivity improvements - as so far the only main benefit is the way WF breaks the text into segments, and the Context search is helpful, too I wonder if anyone can suggest anything...?

Specifically:
1) Is there a way of having the glossary and TM always showing (by default) ie without having to press Ctrl+Alt+G and Ctrl+Alt+M. And how do I
... See more
Hello!
I have purchased Wordfast and have spent a lot of time reading about setup and PB settings. But now I'm trying to see some productivity improvements - as so far the only main benefit is the way WF breaks the text into segments, and the Context search is helpful, too I wonder if anyone can suggest anything...?

Specifically:
1) Is there a way of having the glossary and TM always showing (by default) ie without having to press Ctrl+Alt+G and Ctrl+Alt+M. And how do I make the Glossary toolbar display by default?
2) Can anyone advise about whether I should have one big TM, or is it best to break it down into smaller, separate ones?
3) Well, just any productivity hints and tips at all would be great,
and I'm sure everyone would find them helpful...

Many thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-30 00:12]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TM Jul 29, 2007

Comunican wrote:

2) Can anyone advise about whether I should have one big TM, or is it best to break it down into smaller, separate ones?

I think this depends - mostly - on who you work for.

I have mostly private clients, and in fact, rarely do "agency-TM" work (and if I do I usually create a new TM, which I add or not to an existing main TM)

I started out with a lot of small TMs and recently merged them into a few big ones, representing broad areas.

However, if in doubt, until you get used to working with a TM, create "small" ones as you go, and eventually you can decide how to organise them. In other words, if you make lots of small ones you can eventually merge them into a big one, whereas you can't do the reverse.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
This is true Jul 29, 2007

Lia Fail wrote:
However, if in doubt, until you get used to working with a TM, create "small" ones as you go, and eventually you can decide how to organise them. In other words, if you make lots of small ones you can eventually merge them into a big one, whereas you can't do the reverse.

Besides if you are working for end clients who have their own terminology and standard sentences, such as in the automotive sector, you'll need one TM per end client. In other areas where clients aren't competing (tourism), you can have one big TM.

Some other productivity tips:
- for context search, all TMs should be in one directory (or two, for instance legal and technical)
- keep all your old translations and have a desktop search tool such as Copernic installed (in this way, when looking for specific terminology you'll have three sources: context, your harddisk and internet)
- keep the bilingual files, in some cases they are useful
- using WF to translate Powerpoint files, and even some Excel files (those with hard returns within the cells) is not a good way to enhance productivity.

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-07-29 21:50]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Attributes! Jul 30, 2007

I would agree. However, make sure you assign attributes. This is probably the most important thing to remember. You should sit down and think about the values of your attribute fields so they remain consistent--then set them as the default values. This is easy for attribute 1 (you or a colleague maybe) and attribute 3 (client). Attribute 2 is trickier (subject). You should create a list of subject values before going any further. You can find several of them on-line (here on ProZ for example). Don't forget to use att 4 and 5 if you need to (I use one of them for Brit vs Amer English).

Once you have attributes assigned, you can put everything in the same TM or in separate TMs and merge or filter out easily in the future.

I hope this makes sense. If not, see the section in the manual and/or training guides about attributes.

Good luck,

John Di Rico

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
cleaning into 2 TMs Jul 30, 2007

NMR wrote:

Besides if you are working for end clients who have their own terminology and standard sentences, such as in the automotive sector, you'll need one TM per end client. In other areas where clients aren't competing (tourism), you can have one big TM.

Another thing I do is incorporate texts into 2 TMs, for example, if I do a clinical trial contract, I may decide to include it in my LEGAL TM and also my MED-PHARM TM (by cleaning the job into both TMs).

You can do this with client-specific TMs, keep them separate but also incorporate them into another TM of your own.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for comments so far Jul 30, 2007

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Please keep 'em coming... !

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers Jul 30, 2007

Comunican wrote:
1) Is there a way of having the glossary and TM always showing (by default) ie without having to press Ctrl+Alt+G and Ctrl+Alt+M. And how do I make the Glossary toolbar display by default?

Yes, there is a Pandora's Box option for it. Try these:

ShowGlossaryAlways
ShowMemoryIf<100
ShowMemoryAtStart

That is something you must decide after having used it for a few months. The answer depends almost entirely on your personality (and also to a lesser extend on what kinds of texts you most often get).

3) Well, just any productivity hints and tips at all would be great, and I'm sure everyone would find them helpful...

Learn the keyboard shortcuts. And reread the user manual after a few weeks to refresh your knowledge and discover new things.

[Edited at 2007-07-30 21:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast productivity tips? Any at all would be great

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »