Thread poster: VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 16:22
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2007

Has anyone tried translating php files with Wordfast? Is this possible? Thanks.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Be cautious... Jun 7, 2007

Hi Ljerka:

Localizing has nothing to do with PHP. So asking "Wordfast and PHP?" is missing the general point, namely how good is the software in terms of isolating the localizable contents. The proper way is to have isolated contents to be localized, and the generic part of it. Otherwise, its just one big stupid hunt one string after another.

Anyhow, in the mean time (g) have a look at PlusToyz by Arkadij Visotski - I used it to localize some (simple) PHP software. Se
... See more
Hi Ljerka:

Localizing has nothing to do with PHP. So asking "Wordfast and PHP?" is missing the general point, namely how good is the software in terms of isolating the localizable contents. The proper way is to have isolated contents to be localized, and the generic part of it. Otherwise, its just one big stupid hunt one string after another.

Anyhow, in the mean time (g) have a look at PlusToyz by Arkadij Visotski - I used it to localize some (simple) PHP software. See my page here on proz.

Regards aka lepe pozdrave

Vito
Collapse

Shane Wall
Shane Wall  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 21:22
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Wordfast will work with php files IF ... Jun 8, 2007

Hi Ljerka,
Wordfast will work with php files, that is not the issue. The php files must be tagged to identify translatables (the textual content), non-translatables (the programming code) and transferables (formatting of the textual content).

There are many tools which can tag different coding languages, such as PlusToyz, Plustools, Rainbow, etc. You may need to experiment until you find one that works best for you.

Cheers,
Shane

Wf traine
... See more
Hi Ljerka,
Wordfast will work with php files, that is not the issue. The php files must be tagged to identify translatables (the textual content), non-translatables (the programming code) and transferables (formatting of the textual content).

There are many tools which can tag different coding languages, such as PlusToyz, Plustools, Rainbow, etc. You may need to experiment until you find one that works best for you.

Cheers,
Shane

Wf trainer in Vietnam
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Jun 8, 2007

Ljerka Polegubić wrote:
Has anyone tried translating php files with Wordfast? Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible, but remember that PHP sites are dynamically created, and what the file to translate looks like, will depend entirely on the developer of the PHP site. It all boils down to knowing which files to translate, and which parts of it to translate. Then you need to mark up these files with tw4winExternal, using MS Word's Find/Replace function, with wildcards. You can also use Tortoise Tagger, but you would need to write your own tag file. In either case, the Wordfast user manual has some points on how to do this. Basically, you need to mark the untranslatable text as tw4winExternal, and Wordfast will translate the rest.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I use forced segmentation Jun 8, 2007

(alt+shift+arrow down)
After you get used to it its as fast as normal translation (get used to the keyboard shortcuts for highlighting text without the mouse). I have once done a file with 4000 word using this method. No problem, if you know, what to translate.
Cheers
Heinrich

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Correction... Jun 8, 2007

take PlusToyz by Arkadij Visotski

While PlusToyz is good to have around in any case, the one solution I used for PHP was Tortoise Tagger.

The experience taught me what years of screwing around with Word could not - and that is how to use regular expressions and such in Word's find & replace.

One more point: going by a gut feeling and translate what feels like the text to be localized means a safe passage to hell ("...and there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth .."). The least that can happen is overlooked entries. And the worst of course is a site, that's falling apart because of syntax errors popping up.

If at all, the separation into external and translatable MUST be done programmatically / in a batch mode.

regards

[Edited at 2007-06-08 08:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Wordfast translate php files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »