Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 02:40
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 19, 2006

I intend to switch to computer aided translation resources for a number of reasons, it increase efficiency and the clients are preferring only those translators who use such resources. We can't survive if we don't embrace the latest technology. However, before investing a large sum, I want to have some basic knowledge. I have heard that the trial version of Wordfast can be downloaded for free. I visited the website and found the following pa... See more
I intend to switch to computer aided translation resources for a number of reasons, it increase efficiency and the clients are preferring only those translators who use such resources. We can't survive if we don't embrace the latest technology. However, before investing a large sum, I want to have some basic knowledge. I have heard that the trial version of Wordfast can be downloaded for free. I visited the website and found the following page for downloading it:

http://www.wordfast.org/

But when I downloaded it, I found that there was no software to install in the zipped file. I repeatedly tried to search the link for downloading a proper trial version of Wordfast but in vain. Quite surprisingly, the size of the abovementioned file is 531 kb whereas the trial version of Trados is more than 112 MBs. So, there is every possibility that I am groping in the dark and am unable to find the exact link.

I'd be thankful if someone could direct and guide me in this respect.
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:10
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
www.wordfast.net May 19, 2006

Try this.

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Try this May 19, 2006

Wordfast is not a stand-alone sortware, but a Word macro. The size of the file is correct (mine is even smaller). In the zip-file you'll find a manual (Wordfast.doc) and the macro (wordfast.dot). The .dot file should be copied in \program files\microsoft office\office11\startup\ (or something like that, read the manual). And that is all.

pearl1
pearl1
United States
Local time: 15:10
French to English
Extract the contents of the zipped file May 19, 2006

I just downloaded Wordfast this week and had the same problem. You need to right click on the zipped file then extract (or unpack) the contents. Save the contents in any folder, then follow the directions in the manual.

Hope this helps.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy Wordfast.dot into the Start-folder of Word May 19, 2006

when Word is not running. In the same folder is normal.dot. After starting Word you will see the green icon.
Thats all you need when installing.
One does not need 100 megabytes to accomplish something on a computer. It alls depends on the skill of the programmer.

Regards
Heinrich

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, Wordfast is light May 19, 2006

The version of Wordfast you've downloaded at www.wordfast.org is all that remains of business venture of Yves Champollion and Logos that went sour 4 years ago. This early version of Wordfast is still free, without any limits.

Today I downloaded the latest version 5 at www.wordfast.net. The zip file still is only 614
... See more
The version of Wordfast you've downloaded at www.wordfast.org is all that remains of business venture of Yves Champollion and Logos that went sour 4 years ago. This early version of Wordfast is still free, without any limits.

Today I downloaded the latest version 5 at www.wordfast.net. The zip file still is only 614 kb but the 'program' has evolved dramatically since version 3. Download it and just try it, the unregistered version is fully functional. Whether you still want to download the 512 MBs the competion has to offer is up to you.

Trados offers many features Wordfast doesn't, but I prefer to deliver on a bike, while other colleagues prefer taking a train.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Link for downloading trial version of Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »