Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:00
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
May 9, 2006

Hello,

One of my clients sent me a job and told me that the file contains quite a lot of repeating segments. Therefore, he asked me if I could provide him with a discounted price according to the number of matches.

I agreed and decided to use the Wordfast analyis to count the number of matches. But I don't know when to use the analysis. Shall I use it before I start the translation? The Wordfast manual said that if I do the analysis before the actual translation, Wordfa
... See more
Hello,

One of my clients sent me a job and told me that the file contains quite a lot of repeating segments. Therefore, he asked me if I could provide him with a discounted price according to the number of matches.

I agreed and decided to use the Wordfast analyis to count the number of matches. But I don't know when to use the analysis. Shall I use it before I start the translation? The Wordfast manual said that if I do the analysis before the actual translation, Wordfast compares the text to be translated with the selected translation memory (I have been translating for the client for about 6 months, so there are quite a lot of translation units in the translation memory). The Wordfast manual also says that if I use the analysis after the translation (it means when the text is translated and segmented) I should get analysis of the number of repetitions and matches in the text without comparing with any translation memory.

Accoding to me, the second analysis is the one I need, right? However, the results of the analysis don't seem OK to me. The analysis of the translated and segmentd text says that the total number of characters with spaces is about 59 000 (8191 words, 1470 segments), whereas the real number of characters about 130 000 (21 000 words). It seems to me that the Wordfast analyses only a half of the document. Is that possible? Any ideas?
By the way, I have a match calculator to count the discount for the client according to the number of repetitions and matches (100%, 95-99% etc.). I just need to get the numbers.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks a lot for your comments!
Prokop
---
www.joey.cz
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Repetitions May 9, 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you need. Is it the internal repetitions, the TM matches or both? The manual is not very clear on this point in my opinion, but if you analyze before translating, you will get both internal repetitions and TM matches. If you analyze after translating, obviously you will get everything as 100% matches, but the same number of repetitions as before.

HTH,
Dan

Prokop Vantuch
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Internal repetitions May 9, 2006

Dan Marasescu wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you need. Is it the internal repetitions, the TM matches or both? The manual is not very clear on this point in my opinion, but if you analyze before translating, you will get both internal repetitions and TM matches. If you analyze after translating, obviously you will get everything as 100% matches, but the same number of repetitions as before.

HTH,
Dan

I think I need internal repetitions in the text. Is it possible to get it separate from the TM matches? What about if I analyze the text with an empty TM selected? That should give me just the internal repetitions, right?

Anyway, if I analyze the source text before the translation I will get a number of repetitions. But can I use the number when I charge the client per target pages? The source text has about 62 pages, whereas the target text has about 75 pages.

Thanks a lot
Prokop

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Repetitions May 9, 2006

If you charge your client for target words, you should analyze the translated document. Anyway, no matter what TM you have as active, you will always have the same number of internal repetitions.

Prokop Vantuch
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
analysis May 9, 2006

Dan Marasescu wrote:

If you charge your client for target words, you should analyze the translated document. Anyway, no matter what TM you have as active, you will always have the same number of internal repetitions.

OK, that's what I thought first. I will do the analysis of the translated text.

So, if I understand it well, then the internal repetitions is a number of segments repeating within the text, whereas the numbers of matches are matches between the text and the TM, is that it?

Prokop

Dan Marasescu
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Exactly :) May 9, 2006

Prokop Vantuch wrote:

So, if I understand it well, then the internal repetitions is a number of segments repeating within the text, whereas the numbers of matches are matches between the text and the TM, is that it?

Prokop

Prokop Vantuch
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for now. May 9, 2006

OK. Thanks a lot for now, Dan! I will try to have a look at the document tonight and if I have a problem, I'll try to ask tomorrow.
Thanks again!

Prokop
---
www.joey.cz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast analysis

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »