Resetting the PC- will I loose my Wordfast TM?
Thread poster: Hilaryc78
Hilaryc78
Hilaryc78  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 14, 2006

Hi there,

this is probably a silly question for you, but I am not too technical and before committing errors I would like to receive some tips.

I need to reset my Pc and I am starting saving as much possible before handing my computer to the technician.

Wordfast will be removed as well but I was just wondering if doing that I will loose my TM. If yes, how can I save it and where? Can I save it normally in one CD?

Any advise will be very app
... See more
Hi there,

this is probably a silly question for you, but I am not too technical and before committing errors I would like to receive some tips.

I need to reset my Pc and I am starting saving as much possible before handing my computer to the technician.

Wordfast will be removed as well but I was just wondering if doing that I will loose my TM. If yes, how can I save it and where? Can I save it normally in one CD?

Any advise will be very appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

Ilaria
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TM files Feb 14, 2006

Hi Ilaria,

Wordfast TMs are saved as .txt files on your HDD. When you create them, you are asked to save them in a location of your choice, so you probably know where they are. Uninstalling WF does not erase the TM files, unless you format the entire partition.

In any case, it's a good idea to backup all your data before giving your computer to a technician. You can backup on CDs, DVDs, or simply to another HDD or computer. It's up to you.

Good luck!
... See more
Hi Ilaria,

Wordfast TMs are saved as .txt files on your HDD. When you create them, you are asked to save them in a location of your choice, so you probably know where they are. Uninstalling WF does not erase the TM files, unless you format the entire partition.

In any case, it's a good idea to backup all your data before giving your computer to a technician. You can backup on CDs, DVDs, or simply to another HDD or computer. It's up to you.

Good luck!
Dan
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Resetting? Feb 14, 2006

Do you mean reformatting? In this case, yes. If only Windows is to be reinstalled, then no...

Back up all your valuable data, anyway.

Giovanni

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reformatting or reinstalling Windows Feb 14, 2006

Never mind, what do you want to do with your PC:
Always use a second partition for saving your data. Never save data on C:\ or even worser on C:\documents and setting\, as this drive and this folder are in danger when reinstalling software. In case you need to reinstall Windows it is not advisable to do this on top of an existing installation, as this usually causes much more trouble, that you had before.
When you wish to reins
... See more
Never mind, what do you want to do with your PC:
Always use a second partition for saving your data. Never save data on C:\ or even worser on C:\documents and setting\, as this drive and this folder are in danger when reinstalling software. In case you need to reinstall Windows it is not advisable to do this on top of an existing installation, as this usually causes much more trouble, that you had before.
When you wish to reinstall Windows, then format C:\ completly new - and your PC will behave as it should.

The best (IMO) configuration of a PC is:

• Drive C: for operating system and programs
  • Drive D: for all data
  • Drive E: (small, approx. 3 x your RAM system memmory) for the Windows swap file

This is when using partitions, however you could also use dofferent physical drives.
One can go for more drives, for example drive F: for backup purposes - internal or external HDD just for regular backup.

If you do not want to use so many physical drives, so create at least two partitions on your HDD: partition one (drive C:) as above for OS and programs and partition two (drive D:) for data. This will prevent all data loss caused by malfunctioning programs.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Hilaryc78
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Feb 14, 2006

for Giovanni: yes, I meant reformatting, sorry

Many thanks also to Dan and Jerzy!

Yes, I will definetely save everything, I am so scared of loosing parts of my hard work!

I know is a big hussle but I decided to do it anyway because my PC is behaving a bit strange and a friend of mine told me that is recommended to reformat the entire system every 2-3 years.

I've never done it bef
... See more
for Giovanni: yes, I meant reformatting, sorry

Many thanks also to Dan and Jerzy!

Yes, I will definetely save everything, I am so scared of loosing parts of my hard work!

I know is a big hussle but I decided to do it anyway because my PC is behaving a bit strange and a friend of mine told me that is recommended to reformat the entire system every 2-3 years.

I've never done it before, hopefully I won't be too messy....
otherwise I will know where to ask

Thanks again for the precious advices,

Ilaria
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
e-mails and bookmarks Feb 14, 2006

Don't forget to backup your e-mails as well. It's a common mistake to forget about the e-mails and bookmarks when formatting.

Good luck!
Dan

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
.. and normal.dot! Feb 14, 2006

This file contains your Office settings.

I reformatted both my computers last year and am still proud I didn't forget anything-:)

Good luck!

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
English to French
+ ...
Yahoo and Google mail Feb 15, 2006

I also save what I can by sending it to my email addresses as well. That way, an extra source is available just in case. And it is available from anywhere.

Hilaryc78
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to everybody Feb 15, 2006

yes normal.dot, very good point, thank you for reminding me Christel!

I am making a long list (jst to make sure I won't forget anything...)

Thank you very much for your help,

Ilaria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resetting the PC- will I loose my Wordfast TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »