Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 07:40
French to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2005

I got no fuzzy match for the following:

In text: "La totalité des pièces en attente de fabrication est listée et numérotée dans un fichier spécifique…"

In memory: "La totalité des pièces en attente de fabrication est listée et numérotée dans un fichier appelé UDSC (Usage, Damage, Shortage, CrossOver)."

I've reduced the match to 50%, and it's not picking it up. Is this normal? If I reduce the threshold any lower, next time I bring up the menu i
... See more
I got no fuzzy match for the following:

In text: "La totalité des pièces en attente de fabrication est listée et numérotée dans un fichier spécifique…"

In memory: "La totalité des pièces en attente de fabrication est listée et numérotée dans un fichier appelé UDSC (Usage, Damage, Shortage, CrossOver)."

I've reduced the match to 50%, and it's not picking it up. Is this normal? If I reduce the threshold any lower, next time I bring up the menu it seems to have shot back up to 75%. I thought this kind of sentence would be a classic example of when it would work. I'm beginning to become a bit disillusioned with the whole CAT thing, as I find myself having to use the Context search all the time.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It works for me! Nov 16, 2005

Your text is giving me a 74% fuzzy match. Are you sure you are using the same memory?

Your problem has happened to me a couple of times and I've solved it reorganizing the Translation Memory. Try this out.

Regards,

Clarisa

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What do you mean by reorganising? Nov 17, 2005

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Your text is giving me a 74% fuzzy match. Are you sure you are using the same memory?

Your problem has happened to me a couple of times and I've solved it reorganizing the Translation Memory. Try this out.

Regards,

Clarisa

Is "reorganising" the name of a specific function within WordFast?

Could it be relateed to how I merged three memories? The WordFast manual says there are tools for merging memories, but then doesn't tell you where they are. I couldn't find them, so I just manually cut and pasted the memories into each other (leaving out repeat headings). The only thing is, some of the segment numbers were the same, because for each memory it started back at the same number.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Merging and regorganising Nov 17, 2005

Click on the top Translation Memory tab, then click on the Service tab.

You will find the Reorganise and Merge buttons.

Reorganising is a matter of clicking on the Reoganise button.

For the Merge function, you click on the Merge button, browse to find the WF TM you want to add to the TM currently opened, and that's about it WF adds it to your current TM automatically. It automatically does a
... See more

For the Merge function, you click on the Merge button, browse to find the WF TM you want to add to the TM currently opened, and that's about it WF adds it to your current TM automatically. It automatically does a reorganisation and indexation as well.

Good luck!

Marie-Claude
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No service tab... Nov 17, 2005

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

For the Merge function, you click on the Merge button, browse to find the WF TM you want to add to the TM currently opened, and that's about it WF adds it to your current TM automatically. It automatically does a reorganisation and indexation as well.

Good luck!

Marie-Claude

I don't have a service tab. Could that be because I'm using the demo? In "Translation Memory" I have TM, TM Attributes, TM Rules, BTM, STM, and MT.

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
Other version perhaps Nov 17, 2005

I have an "older" version 4.22. Maybe your version is newer and different.

Sorry for not being able to help you for this one, then!

Which manual did you check?

Addendum: I've just check on the Website, indeed you have a newer and different version than mine. I downloaded the beginner's training guide, and on one of the screenshots I've found that the Reorganise button is on the Translation Me
... See more
I have an "older" version 4.22. Maybe your version is newer and different.

Sorry for not being able to help you for this one, then!

Which manual did you check?

Addendum: I've just check on the Website, indeed you have a newer and different version than mine. I downloaded the beginner's training guide, and on one of the screenshots I've found that the Reorganise button is on the Translation Memory / TM tab, at the bottom. You can't miss it.

As for the merging, I'm still searching...!

[Edited at 2005-11-17 09:01]
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Reorganise Nov 17, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
I don't have a service tab. Could that be because I'm using the demo? In "Translation Memory" I have TM, TM Attributes, TM Rules, BTM, STM, and MT.

Hi,

I suspect Marie-Claude is using an older version. In the latest version, the Reorganise button is under Translation Memory/TM. It practically forces WF to go through your TM and reindex it. This could do the trick.

Also, in the recent versions, the Merge button is not in the Setup menu. It disappeared completely in 5.0 and it appeared again in 5.1 as a special filter function in the TM Editor. Correct me if I am wrong.

[Edited at 2005-11-17 08:54]

Daniel Ehret
Daniel Ehret  Identity Verified
Hungary
French to Hungarian
+ ...
Under the TM tab Nov 17, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:

I also have the demo version (5.1h), and Reorganise can be found under the TM tab, the third (and last) button. Good luck!

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Demo Nov 17, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
Could that be because I'm using the demo?

No, there is no difference in that respect between "demo" and full version. The only difference is the capacity of the TM.

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
I know! Nov 17, 2005

I'm owning an oldie I moved to Trados almost 1 year ago, and even then I had not downloaded a new version for a long time...

I didn't realize the new versions were so different!

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:40
English to German
+ ...
"Fuzzy Matches" Nov 17, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
I've reduced the match to 50%, and it's not picking it up. Is this normal?

There is no official definition for "fuzzy similarity" - not even a public one.
The results below may help you to estimate the fuzzy percentage in future cases of doubt:

WF: 74%

Trados: 64%

DVX: 70%

Simple calculation:
Similarity = (common words)/(total words)
Segment 1: 15+1 words
Segment 2: 15+6 words
Similarity = 15/(15+1+6) = 68%

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys Nov 17, 2005

Reorganising has worked. Comes up as 71% as you said. I've also found the merge option.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy matches...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »