Starting a new translation session problem (same document)
Thread poster: Valentin Alupoaie
Valentin Alupoaie
Valentin Alupoaie  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:48
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2005

Hello all!

I'm using Wf 4.30 on Windows 2000, Word 2000 and I'm having some trouble with starting new translation sessions - Wf never opens the segment in which I place the cursor. It always opens (that is, re-opens an already translated segment)somewhere ABOVE. Really annoying! (hating it as I write). I'm really getting sick and tired of forcing segments. Please advise.

And another thing - how do I get
... See more
Hello all!

I'm using Wf 4.30 on Windows 2000, Word 2000 and I'm having some trouble with starting new translation sessions - Wf never opens the segment in which I place the cursor. It always opens (that is, re-opens an already translated segment)somewhere ABOVE. Really annoying! (hating it as I write). I'm really getting sick and tired of forcing segments. Please advise.

And another thing - how do I get Wf to automatically capitalize the first letter of sentences? The autocorrect option in Word is checked...

TIA,
Valentin
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try force segment Nov 4, 2005

Highlight the whole segment and press ctrl+alt+down. That usually works.
Regards
heinrich

Valentin Alupoaie
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Nov 5, 2005

Thank you, Heinrich, that's what I've been doing... However, this is not normal, is it? It should open the segment in which I place the cursor, right? I thought I was missing something important.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It's rather normal for Wordfast, I'm afraid Nov 7, 2005

After all, the performance of Wf has improved a lot over the years, and it's so much cheaper than Trados, so I do not take these minor annoyances too seriously. After all its only one person programming it, not a whole team, and there are weeknesses in the code, but amazing what can be done in less than 2 Mb!
You can ask Yves directly at the Wordfast news group.

Regards
Heinrich

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Solution Nov 7, 2005

Hi Valentin,

Why don't you install version 5.1? The update is free and it solves a lot of bugs from previous versions. You can download it at www.wordfast.net

I use it and I can open exactly the segment on which I place the cursor.

Let me know if it works.

Dan

Valentin Alupoaie
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will do Nov 7, 2005

I didn't know the update was free! :blush:

Thhanks a lot, Dan, I'll let you know.

Monica Tuduce
Monica Tuduce  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Problem solved Mar 20, 2006

I don't know if you manage to solve this problem.
I have just discovered how to do that

You have to put your cursor BEFORE the first delimiter of the segment and not inside the segment.
WF will open it.
I was really annoying to me, too.

Succes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting a new translation session problem (same document)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »