Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 13:10
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 24, 2018

A couple other things that are driving me crazy:

1) Why is the cursor placed at the end of a segment by default? Whether correcting MT or a segment you've already translated, we read from left to right. That made sense in v3, and I can't see why they switched? (Is there a setting to switch back?)

2) Navigation (ctrl + arrow keys) acts like Microsoft Word and takes you to the start of the next word, instead of the end of the previous word. That'd be all right, except tha
... See more
A couple other things that are driving me crazy:

1) Why is the cursor placed at the end of a segment by default? Whether correcting MT or a segment you've already translated, we read from left to right. That made sense in v3, and I can't see why they switched? (Is there a setting to switch back?)

2) Navigation (ctrl + arrow keys) acts like Microsoft Word and takes you to the start of the next word, instead of the end of the previous word. That'd be all right, except that auto-suggest doesn't work when you're "stuck" to the next word, so instead of being able to type a space and start typing going, you have to first type "arrow key" then add a space then start typing.

Should you want to leverage an auto-suggest option for the first word in the segment, you're really out of luck: you have to first navigate there (see issue #1 above), then type a space, then type "arrow key" then start typing. That's at least 3 full keystrokes more than you should have.

Am I missing a reason the change is useful? And is there a way to switch back?
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:10
Member (2006)
French to English
Ticketed Aug 26, 2018

Hi Samuel,

For your first issue, you can download and try out version 5.6 beta which has the option under General Preferences > Segments to position the cursor at the start of the segment. You can get the beta here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1bk141geldqzbxc/AAD44A4i_43CJWKexnLaFNuMa?dl=0

As for the second issue, this drives me cra
... See more
Hi Samuel,

For your first issue, you can download and try out version 5.6 beta which has the option under General Preferences > Segments to position the cursor at the start of the segment. You can get the beta here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1bk141geldqzbxc/AAD44A4i_43CJWKexnLaFNuMa?dl=0

As for the second issue, this drives me crazy as well. I reported it in December 2015. Please submit feedback directly to developers via the Help tab > Feedback icon to help prioritize this improvement.

Best,
John
Collapse

Samuel Keating
Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 13:10
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 26, 2018

I'll try the beta version.

If you've submitted a ticket nearly 3 years ago and nothing's happened, I'm not wildly optimistic about submitting one of my own. But I'll do so.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 07:10
During Feedback submission Aug 27, 2018

Hi Samuel,

When you submit feedback can you check the box to attach project files and mention the segment and words you have issues with.

Also any feedback on 5.6 Beta version is helpful, number auto suggest is working on my end in 5.6. If it doesn't work please send feedback with files and segments.

Note: Please do not upgrade to 5.6 if you're in between projects

Thank you,

John

Samuel Keating wrote:

I'll try the beta version.

If you've submitted a ticket nearly 3 years ago and nothing's happened, I'm not wildly optimistic about submitting one of my own. But I'll do so.

Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:10
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Cursor position after copy source to targe Oct 4, 2018

Samuel Keating wrote:

Patrick writes:

I totally agree, this is really interrupting the flow. The better the flow the more productive we translators can work. No interruptions, no tripping, turning back, adjusting
... See more
Samuel Keating wrote:

Patrick writes:

I totally agree, this is really interrupting the flow. The better the flow the more productive we translators can work. No interruptions, no tripping, turning back, adjusting...

Would be great if it could be adopted by default.

(Using WFP 5.4.3)
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Cursor behaviour Oct 4, 2018

Samuel, I have never seen the cursor jump to the end of the previous word with Ctrl+Arrow, always to the beginning. I also don't use much auto-suggest, because I dictate but...

...when highlighting with Ctrl+Shift+Arrow (Mac Alt+Shift+Arrow) several words from left to right and let's say I higlighted 1 word to much and want to go back with left arrow, the highlighted segment starts to augment on the left side, where I started.

I have never seen such strange cursor behav
... See more
Samuel, I have never seen the cursor jump to the end of the previous word with Ctrl+Arrow, always to the beginning. I also don't use much auto-suggest, because I dictate but...

...when highlighting with Ctrl+Shift+Arrow (Mac Alt+Shift+Arrow) several words from left to right and let's say I higlighted 1 word to much and want to go back with left arrow, the highlighted segment starts to augment on the left side, where I started.

I have never seen such strange cursor behaviour.
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Problems solved with Version 5.6 Oct 5, 2018

Thank you, Mr. Developer!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Navigating a segment in WFP 5

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »