Thread poster: BogMarley
BogMarley
BogMarley
Austria
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jun 22, 2023

Hey.
I got guidelines for a subtitling task and I am a bit confused with their timing instructions.

If there are keyframes, I am supposed to have an Out-time of 3 frames before a keyframe. If they start after a keyframe, the subtitles should start 2 frames after it or, if audio starts 7 frames after a key frame, subtitles should be synchronised with the audio.

Is there a way to know how many frames I am from a keyframe? The audio wave only shows ms. I know, that
... See more
Hey.
I got guidelines for a subtitling task and I am a bit confused with their timing instructions.

If there are keyframes, I am supposed to have an Out-time of 3 frames before a keyframe. If they start after a keyframe, the subtitles should start 2 frames after it or, if audio starts 7 frames after a key frame, subtitles should be synchronised with the audio.

Is there a way to know how many frames I am from a keyframe? The audio wave only shows ms. I know, that in a 24 FPS video 1 frame = 42 ms. But do I really have to do the math all the time or is there a way to do it in a more efficient way?

Is there any way to automatise that process? I know that there is a Post-Processing-option in Aegisub, but it also only shows ms and there is no way to select frames.
Can anybody help me? How am I supposed to know the exact number of frames?

Thank you! Have a nice day!
Collapse

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:51
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Sounds like wrong terminology to me Jun 22, 2023

Hi Marlene,

"Keyframe" is a video editing term. They mark a change in position, scale, opacity, etc. in a given thing in a video. They're used a lot for animations. So keyframes aren't really something you use as a translator. Maybe English isn't the native language of whoever made those guidelines?

They surely meant to say "shot changes". Typically the rule is to stop 2 or 3 frames before a shot change, and if the audio starts within half a second (or in your case 7 fr
... See more
Hi Marlene,

"Keyframe" is a video editing term. They mark a change in position, scale, opacity, etc. in a given thing in a video. They're used a lot for animations. So keyframes aren't really something you use as a translator. Maybe English isn't the native language of whoever made those guidelines?

They surely meant to say "shot changes". Typically the rule is to stop 2 or 3 frames before a shot change, and if the audio starts within half a second (or in your case 7 frames) after the shot change, then you start the in-time at the shot change. Really, the idea is just to avoid running a subtitle through a shot change. But sometimes you really need to go through it, so it shouldn't always be taken as an absolute rule to do every single time.

If you're using free software, I would use Subtitle Edit for this, personally. You can generate the shot changes on the timeline: Video > Generate/import shot changes. Then, you'll be asked for the "sensitivity". I personally like to set it at 0.2. But you can play around with that. I just find that if you go too far above or below 0.2, you'll either get tons of fake shot changes or you'll be missing a lot of shot changes. Anyway, with the shot changes indicated on the timeline, it makes it super easy to find them.

Then for the frames, go to Options > Settings. There's a spot that says time code mode to frames. That will make it a bit easier to pick out the frames. But you can set a hotkey for "move end 1 frame back". Then put the out time on the shot change, and use the hot key to move it 2 or 3 frames back.

I think it would be a real pain to do all this in Aegisub. The shot change detection is pretty bad last time I used (which was a long time ago), and I don't think there's any way to set it to frames.

By the way, does the client really care about it being frame-accurate, or is it ok if it's timed to the millisecond? In my experience, they only really care about it being timed exactly to the frame if it's a movie/show/documentary or something for broadcast (and sometimes they still don't care).

Hope that helps

Kris
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Felixwu

BogMarley
BogMarley
Austria
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 26, 2023

Hi Kristopher,

The guidelines are written in German, but they use the term "keyframe".
Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer! I'm using Subtitle Edit now and it really helps!

Is there any way to improve the quality of the video? Because whenever I press play, the video is quite blurry and it seems to lag.

Have a nice day!

Marlene

Kristopher Brame wrote:

Hi Marlene,

They surely meant to say "shot changes". Typically the rule is to stop 2 or 3 frames before a shot change, and if the audio starts within half a second (or in your case 7 frames) after the shot change, then you start the in-time at the shot change. Really, the idea is just to avoid running a subtitle through a shot change. But sometimes you really need to go through it, so it shouldn't always be taken as an absolute rule to do every single time.

If you're using free software, I would use Subtitle Edit for this, personally. You can generate the shot changes on the timeline: Video > Generate/import shot changes. Then, you'll be asked for the "sensitivity". I personally like to set it at 0.2. But you can play around with that. I just find that if you go too far above or below 0.2, you'll either get tons of fake shot changes or you'll be missing a lot of shot changes. Anyway, with the shot changes indicated on the timeline, it makes it super easy to find them.

Then for the frames, go to Options > Settings. There's a spot that says time code mode to frames. That will make it a bit easier to pick out the frames. But you can set a hotkey for "move end 1 frame back". Then put the out time on the shot change, and use the hot key to move it 2 or 3 frames back.

I think it would be a real pain to do all this in Aegisub. The shot change detection is pretty bad last time I used (which was a long time ago), and I don't think there's any way to set it to frames.

By the way, does the client really care about it being frame-accurate, or is it ok if it's timed to the millisecond? In my experience, they only really care about it being timed exactly to the frame if it's a movie/show/documentary or something for broadcast (and sometimes they still don't care).

Hope that helps

Kris

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:51
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
No problem Jun 29, 2023

Achso, ein Anglizismus. Oder vielleicht eher ein Scheinanglizismus!

For me, the video quality is always the same as when you just play the video outside of any subtitling software. I've never noticed any laggy-ness or loss in resolution. So that's pretty odd if it's different. I don't think there would be any way to fix it.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Maybe, just maybe… Jun 30, 2023

BogMarley wrote:
I'm using Subtitle Edit now and it really helps!

Is there any way to improve the quality of the video? Because whenever I press play, the video is quite blurry and it seems to lag.

Have you tried changing the video playback engine in Subtitle Edit? You can also configure the video output mode in the respective media player software to see if that would solve the issues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aegisub: Frames and Keyframes

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »