Sweden
Local time: 23:15
Member (2022)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 7, 2023

Hi!

I am pretty new in the game of transcription and subtitling,
and not long ago I was sent an ABS file (Broadcast Script), based on my own, previous transcription work. The file was created as a standard word document, and I had to manually copy/paste time codes, dialogue + translation (as provided by the client), and we are talking about around 2000 words.
This took me a loooong time and needless to say, my wrists and energy levels were not happy!
And neither
... See more
Hi!

I am pretty new in the game of transcription and subtitling,
and not long ago I was sent an ABS file (Broadcast Script), based on my own, previous transcription work. The file was created as a standard word document, and I had to manually copy/paste time codes, dialogue + translation (as provided by the client), and we are talking about around 2000 words.
This took me a loooong time and needless to say, my wrists and energy levels were not happy!
And neither was my wallet. As we all know, the transcription field is underpaid. And mixed with the hard work I did it just does not feel worth it.

I keep thinking that there must be a smarter, faster, and less health-punishing way to finish these scripts.

What do you do? Do you use any programs?

And while I am at it, I would like to ask what transcription programs you use.
I would like to be able to use a transcription program that can help with automatic transcription in Swedish, but also one that, of course, protects the client's project.

Thank you
Collapse

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Macros Mar 7, 2023

I do not use any special software for transcription work, merely MPV and Vim. True, transcription does not pay a lot, and verbatim transcription can be a pure nightmare. But when it comes to copy-paste lines into empty timecodes, I don’t even think, I simply do a little alignment work and all it takes is a macro to automate the process. If you’re on Windows, think about using jEdit.

Also, when it comes to transcription on a pro level, you really should think about investing in
... See more
I do not use any special software for transcription work, merely MPV and Vim. True, transcription does not pay a lot, and verbatim transcription can be a pure nightmare. But when it comes to copy-paste lines into empty timecodes, I don’t even think, I simply do a little alignment work and all it takes is a macro to automate the process. If you’re on Windows, think about using jEdit.

Also, when it comes to transcription on a pro level, you really should think about investing into a keyboard layout that allows you to type both fast and accurately. For French, a Plank or an Ergodox with a bépo layout allows touch typists to really go high speed at 100% accuracy. Dunno for Swedish, tho.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
ASR Mar 7, 2023

When I need to turn utterances from the video into subtitles, I'll just pipe it to an ASR program. So I'll have more time to overthink my word selections and poor life choices.

Michel Virasolvy wrote:
Vim

I use NeoVim, BTW.

[Edited at 2023-03-07 15:42 GMT]

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:15
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
OOONA Mar 7, 2023

Hi Emma, OOONA tools can give you some ease. You can try Transcribe with full feauture. Pay as you go after trial but it's worth a try.

https://shop.ooona.net/ooona-tools/

Emma Oskarsson
Emma Oskarsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2022)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh my, I am not very tech savvy, but I will take a look! Thank you very much for your suggestions. Mar 7, 2023

Michel Virasolvy wrote:

Also, when it comes to transcription on a pro level, you really should think about investing into a keyboard layout that allows you to type both fast and accurately. For French, a Plank or an Ergodox with a bépo layout allows touch typists to really go high speed at 100% accuracy. Dunno for Swedish, tho.

Emma Oskarsson
Emma Oskarsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2022)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Satan! Say hi to my demons! Mar 8, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:

When I need to turn utterances from the video into subtitles, I'll just pipe it to an ASR program. So I'll have more time to overthink my word selections and poor life choices.

Michel Virasolvy wrote:
Vim

I use NeoVim, BTW.

[Edited at 2023-03-07 15:42 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
@Emma Oskarsson Mar 8, 2023

What's the end product, anyway? ASR software are capable of creating automatic transcriptions. You can then take advantage of it to make a pseudo master template and morph it into subtitles in your source and/or target language(s). But they can't add labels/speaker IDs by themselves. If the expected output is a standard transcription in DOCX format, you'll have to add them manually. Programs like f4transkript can add labels automatically. But the last time I checked, it doesn't have an ASR modul... See more
What's the end product, anyway? ASR software are capable of creating automatic transcriptions. You can then take advantage of it to make a pseudo master template and morph it into subtitles in your source and/or target language(s). But they can't add labels/speaker IDs by themselves. If the expected output is a standard transcription in DOCX format, you'll have to add them manually. Programs like f4transkript can add labels automatically. But the last time I checked, it doesn't have an ASR module. The utterances have to be inferred strictly from repeated listening. Personally, I just don't think this is the most efficient way to convert audio tracks into written texts. Not to mention the high risks of transcription errors. But YMMV.

For the record, my transcription experience is limited to subtitling. I've never been interested to take on pure audio transcription jobs because the rates, as you stated, are abysmal. While I know at least one transcription agency that prides itself as a good payer, they seem to be more interested in live transcription. I don't do this sort of assignments.

Emma Oskarsson wrote:
Say hi to my demons!

Which one? The Kitsune, or the Tanuki?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ABS-files vs work output

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »