Can you recommend me a good wordcount?

dhsanjeev
dhsanjeev  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:01
English to Hindi
+ ...
word count Jan 14, 2012

wordcounter is itself available as a tool in MS word 2003 or below version and from MS word 2007 and onward versions it is available in review. in dobe file you can check the word count in its properties. I hope your query will resolve with this reply.

Caroline Fratani
Caroline Fratani  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:31
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
WORDCOUNT Jan 16, 2012

Hello
I use a software called "Anycount" very practical since it also counts words of PDF doc and you can select the language. it also gives you the total amount of words with and without numbers, plus it is not too expensive,I think I paid around 70 euros to get the license. Very easy and quick to use.
I hope it will help.

Bella_donna
Bella_donna
Local time: 13:31
Polish to English
+ ...
Online resource for wordcount Jan 16, 2012

You can try on of many tools on-line such as this one: http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/translation/website-wordcount-tool.php or http://www.wordcounttool.com/

It is very easy to use. I myself use it quite often. The question is whether you would prefer a tool that y
... See more
You can try on of many tools on-line such as this one: http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/translation/website-wordcount-tool.php or http://www.wordcounttool.com/

It is very easy to use. I myself use it quite often. The question is whether you would prefer a tool that you have access to as a part of your software, than MS Word is your answer. Hope I could help. Have a nice day!
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:31
Member (2005)
French to English
True weighted wordcount Apr 11, 2013

The weighted wordcounts supplied by clients are to some extent skewed by the percentage weighting they attach to each fuzzy-match band. I have developed a "true" wordcount grid using the analysis generated by Trados.

The principle is to calculate the average (arithmetic mean) of each band:

1-(AVG of (lower bound, higher bound))/100,

=1-(AVERAGE(A5,B5))/100

in Excel notation, and as shown, subtract that average from 1.
The result will be a
... See more
The weighted wordcounts supplied by clients are to some extent skewed by the percentage weighting they attach to each fuzzy-match band. I have developed a "true" wordcount grid using the analysis generated by Trados.

The principle is to calculate the average (arithmetic mean) of each band:

1-(AVG of (lower bound, higher bound))/100,

=1-(AVERAGE(A5,B5))/100

in Excel notation, and as shown, subtract that average from 1.
The result will be a decimal fraction providing the weighting for that fuzzy-match band.

The wordcount for that band is multiplied by the relevant weighting, and the weighted wordcounts so calculated for all the bands are totalled, to give a "true" weighted wordcount.

Things like 100% and perfect matches are zero-weighted.

No matches are weighted at 1 (unchanged).

I have set repetitions at 10% (0.1). Some clients allow a generous 25%, but I prefer to be realistic.

I have an Excel file illustrating this. I don't know how to download it here. It would be interesting to compare the WWCs to see whether there are any significant differences from the client and "true" WWC weightings. For this purpose calculation columns can be added.

I hope this may be of interest.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordcount

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »