Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 09:38
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Nov 23, 2011

Hi Everyone,

As a translation project manager I often need to compare bilingual documents and get a quick change report to:

- Provide to the customer the evidence that we did full TEP.
- Provide the list of corrections in cases whan we have to do profreading of 3rd party,
- Share editor's corrections with translators and improve their learning curve.
- Let the editor quickly review the list of own corrections to make sure that no mistake was made
... See more
Hi Everyone,

As a translation project manager I often need to compare bilingual documents and get a quick change report to:

- Provide to the customer the evidence that we did full TEP.
- Provide the list of corrections in cases whan we have to do profreading of 3rd party,
- Share editor's corrections with translators and improve their learning curve.
- Let the editor quickly review the list of own corrections to make sure that no mistake was made
- Compare different versions of bilingual documents to avoid version control issues.

Neither me, nor my colleagues found a suitable and convenient standalone software for this task, so we decided to develop our own. And today I'd like to share it with the community, to get feedbacks and idea of possible improvement.

You can download this free software on this website: http://change-tracker.com. It's freeware.

Basicly, it compares bilingual files and generates a report in .xls format, and then we use that report for variety of purposes. I am curious if such application may be of use to any of you.

Questions, discussions and comments are highly welcomed.

Kind regards,
Vladimir
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:38
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Vladimir Nov 23, 2011

Thanks for sharing. Here are the first impressions.

1) Of course, it would be quite useful to have the possibility of comparing more file formats/ For example, I needed recently to compare two PPTX files, and though it is possible to do this directly in PowerPoint, the existing utility is really inconvenient.

2) It would be great to have the option of opening files, not just droping them (though this is not critical of course).

3) I compared two TXML
... See more

1) Of course, it would be quite useful to have the possibility of comparing more file formats/ For example, I needed recently to compare two PPTX files, and though it is possible to do this directly in PowerPoint, the existing utility is really inconvenient.

2) It would be great to have the option of opening files, not just droping them (though this is not critical of course).

3) I compared two TXML files, and the comparison ran smoothly, and everything was fine, however, the Excel report has never been created: the program simulated creation of the report, but nothing happened, and no report has been created. Just FYI, at this computer, I have Win XP and Office 2003.

Natalia
Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for feedback Nov 23, 2011

Natalie wrote:

3) I compared two TXML files, and the comparison ran smoothly, and everything was fine, however, the Excel report has never been created: the program simulated creation of the report, but nothing happened, and no report has been created. Just FYI, at this computer, I have Win XP and Office 2003.

Natalia

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for your feedback! Great to have the opinion form external users, as we may not notice some obvious things internally. What formats may be needed?

Hm, is it possible to experiment on files you mention? I'll let you know my email address if yes. May be something needs to be fixed, and this error did not occur with our files, as we tested it before releasing.

Kind regards,
Vladimir

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Vladimir Nov 23, 2011

1) About the file formats:
PPTX (PPT) came up to my mind immediately;
what about XLIFF: I haven't tried it, but does SDLXLIFF fall into this category? If no, then SDLXLIFF would be next suggestion.

2) Of course, I can send you the files I tried: these are two small files from Wordfast, nothing special at all. The comparison runs smoothly, I get a nice table with differences highlighted;
then I click "create report", choose the folder where the report should be s
... See more
1) About the file formats:
PPTX (PPT) came up to my mind immediately;
what about XLIFF: I haven't tried it, but does SDLXLIFF fall into this category? If no, then SDLXLIFF would be next suggestion.

2) Of course, I can send you the files I tried: these are two small files from Wordfast, nothing special at all. The comparison runs smoothly, I get a nice table with differences highlighted;
then I click "create report", choose the folder where the report should be saved, and get the "Please wait while Change Tracker creates report" window, the round progress indicator shows the progress, the "Report created" message appears along with the "Click to open the report in Microsoft Excel" button - and nothing, no report.

Sending you the files through your profile.
Natalia

[Edited at 2011-11-23 12:45 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Works under Vista/Office 2010 Nov 24, 2011

Good morning, Vladimir!

As promised, I checked the application in my home computer under Vista and Office 2010, and everything was fine.

So I assume, that in my yesterday experience, the culprit is rather Office 2003 as it uses the 2007 compatibility pack in order to work with docx, xlsx and pptx formats.

Natalia

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
looks like Excel version compatibility Nov 24, 2011

Hi Natalia,

thanks for sharing.
So it looks like Excel compatibility problem. We'll think how we can come overcome this, probably by exporting to xml...

Vladimir

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe Nov 24, 2011

You could think of exporting to both XLS and XLSX so that the user could choose the format?

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xml Nov 24, 2011

Natalie wrote:

You could think of exporting to both XLS and XLSX so that the user could choose the format?

Currently ChangeTracker uses Excel application installed on your computer, so it should export in both XLS and XLSX. We are thinking of adding xml-compatible format, which will make it independent from Excel version.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
--- Nov 24, 2011

XML isn't a convenient format to deal with

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i mean a bit different thing... Nov 24, 2011

I mean xml which can be opened in Excel without problems

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Ah, I see Nov 24, 2011

Fine

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Vladimir Nov 24, 2011

Very interesting tool, thanks! I just tried it on a few 'uncleaned' Word docs, and it worked flawlessly on my Win7 64-bit, with Office 2010.

I was wondering what you mean by:

ChangeTracker can help you in a variety of ways:

Provide the easy to read proof of performing TEP cycle.
Share editor's reports with translators and improve their learning curve.
Easily fill QA forms.
Compare different versions of bilingual documents to av... See more
Very interesting tool, thanks! I just tried it on a few 'uncleaned' Word docs, and it worked flawlessly on my Win7 64-bit, with Office 2010.

Easily fill QA forms.
Compare different versions of bilingual documents to avoid version control issues.
Create termbases from translation memories.

That was the part that particularly caught my eye!

Michael
Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
glossary... Nov 25, 2011

Michael Beijer wrote:

Easily fill QA forms.
Compare different versions of bilingual documents to avoid version control issues.
Create termbases from translation memories.

That was the part that particularly caught my eye!

Michael

Hi Michael,

The last part is undocumented trick. If you compare 2 identiocal tmx files and export all cells to Excel and then remove 2nd column, you'll get 2 culumns in Excel, and this can be converted to glossary. So in fact it means transforming TM segments into Glossary entries.

It may work in cases when e.g. you are asked toi translate application UI first, and then to follow those UI as glossary.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
DVX External view Nov 25, 2011

Definitely will try it. Any chance it will support External View files from DVX2 in any of the available formats? (xliff, Trados uncleaned, rtf table)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate posting
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool for tracking changes in bilingual files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »