Anyone else having problems with Adobe X?
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
French to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2011

Hello,

I think I must be going mad! I have now installed Adobe X on three occasions now but when Microsoft does its periodic Windows updates the program seems to disappear and I have to download it again. I'm not sure the program is installing properly in the first place as the computer seems to hang at the end of the installation process and I have to switch it off and reboot - after which Adobe works fine for a while (although the icons don't shows the Adobe symbol, but the unknow
... See more
Hello,

I think I must be going mad! I have now installed Adobe X on three occasions now but when Microsoft does its periodic Windows updates the program seems to disappear and I have to download it again. I'm not sure the program is installing properly in the first place as the computer seems to hang at the end of the installation process and I have to switch it off and reboot - after which Adobe works fine for a while (although the icons don't shows the Adobe symbol, but the unknown file symbol), until automatic update time when it stops again. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I'm now just going back to Adobe 9 in desperation....

Thanks,

Claire
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Turn off Mar 18, 2011

automatic Windows update (if you wish to have a full control over your computer). Perform updates when you wish, not when Windows wish to do this.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
OS? Mar 18, 2011

Hi Claire,

I had recently installed X on a new Windows 7 computer, no problems with finalizing the installation, but my scanning utility no longer knows how to scan to pdf, it's annoying and Lexmark tech support couldn't help, other than have me install a different scanning utility that is much less user-friendly (several extra steps to get a pdf whereas before I just had to click once!)

I think it is somehow related to a file association problem, but couldn't figure i
... See more
Hi Claire,

I had recently installed X on a new Windows 7 computer, no problems with finalizing the installation, but my scanning utility no longer knows how to scan to pdf, it's annoying and Lexmark tech support couldn't help, other than have me install a different scanning utility that is much less user-friendly (several extra steps to get a pdf whereas before I just had to click once!)

I think it is somehow related to a file association problem, but couldn't figure it out. What OS are you using?
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows XP Mar 18, 2011

Hi Lori,

I'm using Windows XP. I don't think the Windows update facility is at the heart of the problem as I suspect that the program isn't downloading correctly, as shown by the incorrect icons and the lack of "successful download" message on completion. I've reverted to 9.4 in the meantime, which works fine for my purposes, and I may ask my computer expert son to look at it when he comes home from uni next weekend.

It's certainly not good if it causes problems in oth
... See more
Hi Lori,

I'm using Windows XP. I don't think the Windows update facility is at the heart of the problem as I suspect that the program isn't downloading correctly, as shown by the incorrect icons and the lack of "successful download" message on completion. I've reverted to 9.4 in the meantime, which works fine for my purposes, and I may ask my computer expert son to look at it when he comes home from uni next weekend.

It's certainly not good if it causes problems in other applications too. I use a Lexmark printer too, so I could do without problems creating pdfs as well!

Claire
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
SP3, antivirus, browser version Mar 18, 2011

Claire, for XP you need to have SP3. Also try deactivating your antivirus when you install it, that could be preventing it from installing correctly? Also check that you have the right browser version (see the system requirements on the Adobe website). Or just stick with what works

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone else having problems with Adobe X?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »