Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree, but ... Jul 21, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

I think the best thing anyone can do for the planet is vote carefully.

This is the crux of the matter. One goal of the planned disinformation campaigns orchestrated by fossil fuel companies over the last five decades has been to make ordinary people believe that they are to blame for the climate crisis, whereas until political parties change their attitudes and policies, there will be no real difference.

Governments around the world subsidise fossil fuels on the order of hundreds of billions of dollars per year. That's money that could be spent on energy conservation projects and developing clean and renewable energy sources.

Until it becomes clear that a strong climate policy is a vote winner, I think we haven't got a hope.

As a victim of Brexit, I am currently not allowed to vote anywhere, but if I was, it would only be for a party that has clear and rational policies for addressing the climate crisis.

How many political parties are there around the world that meet that criterion? I don't know, but I would guess the number is quite small (leaving out the meaningless posturing that passes for a climate policy in many cases).

Bad luck for us.

Voting is obviously important but you only get to vote every few years, if at all (plus in the UK's first past the post system voting we have no effective way to vote for a truly green party).

It's possible to push for government action while also exercising personal responsibility. These things are not separate, they are interlinked. Cutting down on flying not only cuts your personal carbon emissions, it also supports others trying to do the same. Going vegan helps build a movement, which influences government policy.

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:51
French to English
. Jul 21, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I am a meat eater and I don’t react at all when served a vegan meal, I just politely decline as I have sensitivity to beans and some raw vegetables. Very bloaty saponins, but no need to shovel anything into anyone’s face.

Many ingredients of vegan meals are flown across continents, every day. Not very "vegan" is it?

If no animals have been caused any harm while producing it, it's vegan.
It's not environment-friendly if it's flown across continents, but it's vegan.
And actually, eating locally-produced meat is worse for the environment than eating imported veg. The farting and the belching produce a lot of CO2.
I source all my veg locally, and only buy a few exotic items like mangoes and bananas.

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 21, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I think the best thing anyone can do for the planet is vote carefully.

Except that no democratically elected politician dares to start putting caps on the number of flights people make, or the type of fuel they burn in their car, or the amount of meat people eat. Measures introduced are never anywhere near enough, and yet people moan like heck about using paper straws when no straw is even necessary, and nobody wants to take the bus if they can afford a car.
A lot of people are incapable of understanding climate change, and sceptics have dragged it down to the same status as religion, i.e., it's a matter of belief, when it's more a question of understanding. People prefer to be selfish, saying "what harm does my one little plastic straw do", or "it's only a drop in the ocean", and don't understand that every drop counts. Just like they don't understand that every vote counts in elections.
Democracy doesn't work with matters that require intelligence and empathy, because far too many people are lacking either one or the other or both.

[Edited at 2023-07-21 09:24 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
Joe France
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Jan Truper
Tom in London
Gianni Pastore

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OK, let's try it Jul 21, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:
It's possible to push for government action while also exercising personal responsibility. These things are not separate, they are interlinked. Cutting down on flying not only cuts your personal carbon emissions, it also supports others trying to do the same. Going vegan helps build a movement, which influences government policy.

Right, I hereby put it out there publicly that I syphon off bathwater to water my veg, pee in a bottle to make fertiliser, generate zero food waste, planted the trees that heat my home and generate all my own electricity. Look at me, look at me, I'm green AF.

Now I'm going to sit back and watch government policy change as you all happily follow my lead...

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:51
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
OT/JAL is undoubtedly the best Jul 22, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

I have given up flying on British Airways. I try to stick to Japan Airlines, ANA, Cathay Pacific or a Middle Eastern airline.
I used to fly to London via BA and then onto Europe, Eastern Europe, Russia and the Middle East. Now I fly Lufthansa from Boston to Frankfurt or Swiss to Zurich and use these cities as jumping off points. Japan Airlines is hands down the best on the planet.

I know that JAL is a bit expensive than other airlines, but undoubtedly the best in the world.

More than thirty years ago, I flew back from NYC to Japan using JAL. I'm a very sensitive person, and most of the time I have trouble sleeping on planes, so I purposely didn't sleep the night before going home. As soon as I got on the plane and it took off, I fell asleep from the relief that I just have to sit there and the plane will take me back to my country. Meal was served while I was asleep, and when I woke up, I realized that all the other passengers had finished eating, and thought that I missed one meal, but the flight attendant was kind enough to bring me my meal which she has saved it for me. Of course, she didn't wake me when the meal was served. There was a sign in front of my seat saying "Your meal is being saved. When you wake up, just let us know so that we can serve your food" How nice!

The reason I'm writing this is because during my stay in the US, I traveled to Germany and Italy from the US, and on the way back from Rome, I missed my meal because I was sleeping, but the flight attendant was not kind enough to offer me a meal later and had this "missed your meal?, well tough luck, kid. you were asleep" attitude. This was an US airline and I know how flight attendants on US airlines can be so blunt. It was back in the days when smoking was allowed on flight, but the smoking section was so limited, like the very back five rows of the aircraft, and the flight attendants told us smokers that if we wanted to smoke, please take turns by asking other passengers who have been assigned a seat in the smoking section, whereas the flight attendants were arrogant enough to sit in the crew's seats and started puffing.

Answering Tom's question, no I haven't given up flying but haven't flown for twenty years.

[Edited at 2023-07-22 06:25 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Given up flying? Jul 22, 2023

When you live in Japan for many years, you get used to kindnesses that you come to depend on and take for granted. Going back to the West can be a shock as these kindnesses are not available.

Yasutomo Kanazawa

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:51
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Haven't given up flying. Jul 22, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

When you live in Japan for many years, you get used to kindnesses that you come to depend on and take for granted. Going back to the West can be a shock as these kindnesses are not available.

I just don't have the chance to do so.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
London Jul 22, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

I used to fly to London via BA and then onto Europe, Eastern Europe, Russia and the Middle East.

London is in Europe. Last time I checked...

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Funnily enough Jul 22, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

There are three American cities named London. They can be found in Arkansas, Kentucky and Ohio.
I learnt about it when I watched a documentary a few days ago.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Given up flying? Jul 23, 2023

Not forgetting Brighton (Massachusetts), Manchester (New Hampshire), Cambridge (Massachusetts), Oxford (Massachusetts), York (Maine); and the list goes on.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:51
Greek to English
Canada too Jul 23, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

There are three American cities named London. They can be found in Arkansas, Kentucky and Ohio.
I learnt about it when I watched a documentary a few days ago.

There is also a London, Ontario.

Tom in London
expressisverbis

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
The notrious links between veganism and flying go way back! Jul 23, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Many ingredients of vegan meals are flown across continents, every day. Not very "vegan" is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#/media/File:Barbara_Moore_(1961).jpg

Pic of Barbara Moore attending the first meeting of the Vegan Society as an observer. I rest my case (which is smaller than hers).

However, the word 'vegan' was formed from the first and last letters of 'vegetarian'. What's left over is 'etari'. This apparently means 'glutton' in Basque and Old Norse. So veganism could claim be taking, quite literally, the gluttony out of vegetarianism, which, even Tom will concede, is no bad thing.

[Edited at 2023-07-23 09:14 GMT]

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
And Jericho ... Jul 23, 2023

... is near London of course. Which explains why we always sing Jerusalem at Twickers.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
London Jul 23, 2023

Context is everything... now, please stop...

Charlie Bavington

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Instructive example Jul 23, 2023

now, please stop...

.... of how readily some will seize the opportunity to divert a conversation away from subjects that make them feel uncomfortable.
Rhodes is on fire and flights from the UK to Rhodes have halted, which would seem the kind of thing a thread like this might talk about, but no, it's shifted to which is the best airline and how many places share particular placenames.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you given up flying?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »