Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not actually true Jul 19, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
Yeah, but it doesn’t have to be about flygskam and virtue signalling. Flights make up a very small part of most people’s carbon footprint.

Flights make up a small part of total carbon emissions because a small percentage of the world's population fly regularly. For those who fly, flights will be a massive component of their carbon footprint. Try playing around with a carbon footprint calculator - you can see the effect it has.

Anna A. K.
Michael Beijer

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jul 19, 2023

For a good number of years, I flew at least once a month between Brussels (where my professional activity was) and Lisbon (where my family was). I also loved traveling and used to do it as a tourist at least twice a year (Easter and Summer holidays). Though this arrangement suited me fine at the time, I got so tired of airports and planes that I haven’t travelled since 2015 when I decided to move back to Lisbon.

I don’t have a car, where I live public transport is quite good an
... See more
For a good number of years, I flew at least once a month between Brussels (where my professional activity was) and Lisbon (where my family was). I also loved traveling and used to do it as a tourist at least twice a year (Easter and Summer holidays). Though this arrangement suited me fine at the time, I got so tired of airports and planes that I haven’t travelled since 2015 when I decided to move back to Lisbon.

I don’t have a car, where I live public transport is quite good and occasionally I use taxis. I stopped eating meat for health reasons some years ago, but I’m not vegan, I eat a lot of fish, vegetables and fruit. With age, I became rather frugal: my clothing budget is minimal.
Collapse

Tom in London
Michael Newton
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
US military not calculated ! Jul 19, 2023

[quote]Rachel Waddington wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:
Yeah, but it doesn’t have to be about flygskam and virtue signalling. Flights make up a very small part of most people’s carbon footprint.

It depends what flights you are including in the calculation. For example:

"The US military’s carbon bootprint is enormous. Like corporate supply chains, it relies upon an extensive global network of container ships, trucks and cargo planes to supply its operations with everything from bombs to humanitarian aid and hydrocarbon fuels. Our new study calculated the contribution of this vast infrastructure to climate change."

https://tinyurl.com/y4esy5kh

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:35
Member (2009)
Italian to English
I can't physically live without it Jul 19, 2023

The trouble with air conditioning is that it is making global heating worse because

(a) it requires so much electricity
(b) the inert gases (e.g. freon) that the cooling system uses are greenhouse gases.

I understand that, but my without air conditioning, my varicose veins literally explode. I've had several surgeries. I will give up a lot, but not AC

Anna A. K.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I understand Jul 19, 2023

Miranda Drew wrote:

The trouble with air conditioning is that it is making global heating worse because

(a) it requires so much electricity
(b) the inert gases (e.g. freon) that the cooling system uses are greenhouse gases.

I understand that, but my without air conditioning, my varicose veins literally explode. I've had several surgeries. I will give up a lot, but not AC

That's understandable. But if you lived in a naturally cool building you wouldn't need aircon. We have existed for 4000 years without aircon and have managed to have cool buildings - until we forgot how to do them, and now we're left with a patrimony of obsolete buildings, recently constructed, that are no longer fit for purpose.

[Edited at 2023-07-19 08:45 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Tom Jul 19, 2023

Can you give us some examples of materials for naturally cool buildings? Thanks.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not only materials Jul 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Can you give us some examples of materials for naturally cool buildings? Thanks.

You don't begin with materials. You begin by designing the buildings in completely different ways: their mass, their relationship to one another, where they are located.

Think (for example) of the Italian hill towns, which date back to medieval and pre-medieval times. They were built as high up as possible, with very narrow shady streets, thick masonry walls, and small windows that were only as big as necessary, and were at both sides of the house so that you could have natural cross-ventilation.

Etc. Etc.

I'm not suggesting we go back to the middle ages but I am suggesting that for our future buildings, there is much that we need to learn from the past.

Sorry to talk like an architecture lecturer but I've done a lot of research on this.

Lingua 5B
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Michele Fauble
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
QHE

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks Jul 19, 2023

Yes, you mentioned you were an architect, who is better to ask than you.

But I like big windows and a lot of light : (. Not sure how I would handle small windows. I live in a house and am blessed with a beautiful shady backyard that really provides a nice natural shade for the high heat we have these days.

When I look at the blocks of buildings over here, the new buildings have smaller and smaller windows with each new generation of buildings. They look like prisons, re
... See more
Yes, you mentioned you were an architect, who is better to ask than you.

But I like big windows and a lot of light : (. Not sure how I would handle small windows. I live in a house and am blessed with a beautiful shady backyard that really provides a nice natural shade for the high heat we have these days.

When I look at the blocks of buildings over here, the new buildings have smaller and smaller windows with each new generation of buildings. They look like prisons, really ugly looking.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Me too Jul 19, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

But I like big windows and a lot of light

Me too but my flat was designed in the 1960s when nobody knew about climate change.
No *thinking* architect would design like this today. There are other ways to create beauty,
We residents are working on a retrofit project to make our whole complex energy-efficient.
This will include triple glazing the windows to minimise winter heat loss.
My flat faces south so I have a big solar gain problem. To keep the direct summer sun off, I hang agricultural sunscreening **outside** the windows. It works well. Reduces PV transmission by 90% whilst allowing a pleasant daylight to filter through https://tinyurl.com/2xnp4gw6

me too

Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio
Charlie Bavington
Kay Denney
Tony Keily

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
How right you are! Jul 19, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Think (for example) of the Italian hill towns, which date back to medieval and pre-medieval times. They were built as high up as possible, with very narrow shady streets, thick masonry walls, and small windows that were only as big as necessary, and were at both sides of the house so that you could have natural cross-ventilation.

(BTW, I was able to quote once more only by changing my browser, as Firefox doesn't do it any more, and staff could not fix this.)

I live at present in a cottage that surely does not date back to Middle Ages as it is only 250 years old. So it does not have particularly small windows, but VERY thick masonry walls and it is in the middle of the country, surrounded only by green. The rooms are 3,5 - 4 m high. Of course there isn't any air condition, and downstairs normally during the day I have +/- 25 degrees, whith outside around 35 or more. With such temperatures, I use a ventilator in the bedroom upstairs, though!
So as far as air condition use is concerned, my carbon foot print actually with these high temperatures is equal to zero! At least inside, as I must admit I use it in the car when I have to go out.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-07-19 14:43 GMT]

Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Perspective again Jul 19, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Try playing around with a carbon footprint calculator - you can see the effect it has.

From what I can see, an annual holiday in the Canaries makes up about 5% of the average person’s carbon footprint.

I get annoyed when people bang on about how they’ve given up flying and try to shame others for not doing so.

We all have different realities and it’s a personal choice.

OP lives in an inefficient building, and I’m fine with that.

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Lingua 5B
Maciek Drobka

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Shame Jul 20, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Try playing around with a carbon footprint calculator - you can see the effect it has.

From what I can see, an annual holiday in the Canaries makes up about 5% of the average person’s carbon footprint.

I get annoyed when people bang on about how they’ve given up flying and try to shame others for not doing so.

We all have different realities and it’s a personal choice.

OP lives in an inefficient building, and I’m fine with that.

It's not about shaming people. I hate talking about why I don't fly. I find it really uncomfortable. But people do what they see others around them doing, so it is important to talk about the changes we are making in response to climate change. Talking about why you don't fly possibly has more of an impact than just not flying.

Please don't try to shut people down just because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Anna A. K.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Aggressive Jul 20, 2023

I have found that people I personally know who are vegan, blaming cow farms for carbon imprint etc. for the most part do it quite aggressively and in quite a pushy way (eg. 80% percent of their narrative is about veganism and climate change). Not taking into consideration whatsoever whether a person across them is interested in the subject to that degree. There is really a measure to everything.

It appears to me they watched too much TV with climate content and propaganda and grew u
... See more
I have found that people I personally know who are vegan, blaming cow farms for carbon imprint etc. for the most part do it quite aggressively and in quite a pushy way (eg. 80% percent of their narrative is about veganism and climate change). Not taking into consideration whatsoever whether a person across them is interested in the subject to that degree. There is really a measure to everything.

It appears to me they watched too much TV with climate content and propaganda and grew up with it. There are certainly other things in life too?
Collapse

Maciek Drobka
Christine Andersen

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aggressive Jul 20, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

It appears to me they watched too much TV with climate content and propaganda and grew up with it. There are certainly other things in life too?

I'm not vegan, but I am vegetarian. I've been verbally attacked by meat eaters just for ordering the vegetarian option when all I wanted to do was eat my dinner in peace.

In my experience it tends to be meat eaters who are aggressive and pushy, not vegans.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Anna A. K.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Question Time Jul 20, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Can I ask why?

It seems to me that if you're confident you're making the right choices (in all possible senses, e.g. doing your bit if you think there is a bit that needs to be done; or not doing anything at all if you think it's all some kind of hoax), it should be water off a duck's back, no?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you given up flying?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »