Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Off topic: Pronunciation that makes you cringe (inwardly)
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
If you only put a full stop . in the title, nobody will bother to read the email notification Dec 15, 2022

A friend of mine heard an English woman telling her friends about her marvellous holiday in France when she stayed in a gateau.

Lieven Malaise
writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Holy cow Dec 15, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

For reasons I can't begin to fathom, the French always say "low" for "law". As a teacher I used to repeat endlessly "it rhymes with door" but to no avail. They have no problem with "jaw" or "paw" or "saw", so "low" is a complete mystery to me.
Another one is "idea", they never seem to get that the a is not purely decorative. Trouble is, I'm then left wondering why they're mentioning "ID".

That reminds me of my English teacher, Frau Engel, back in 1962. We would pronounce cow like low or row, until she told as it should be cou (?), or KAU in the German way. Of course we knew how to pronounce cowboy (kaubeu), but nonetheless we used to pronounce cow as low. How about Whow?

Kay Denney

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 21:35
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Sweet Dec 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
A friend of mine heard an English woman telling her friends about her marvellous holiday in France when she stayed in a gateau.

Sweet!

writeaway
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
. Dec 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
If you only put a full stop . in the title, nobody will bother to read the email notification

In this day and age, Tom, you may be the only person who gets email notifications. And anyway, what happened to your campaign against having to write a title for your replies?

Some common mispronunciations in Wales: feasty for feisty, Mitsibushi for Mitsubishi, and the Valleys classic yer for ear

[Edited at 2022-12-15 11:40 GMT]

Kay Denney

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Idea Dec 15, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

For reasons I can't begin to fathom, the French always say "low" for "law". As a teacher I used to repeat endlessly "it rhymes with door" but to no avail. They have no problem with "jaw" or "paw" or "saw", so "low" is a complete mystery to me.
Another one is "idea", they never seem to get that the a is not purely decorative. Trouble is, I'm then left wondering why they're mentioning "ID".

Well, in French idea is idée and in German Idee. So if one pronounces it as ID it just shows the person does not remember how idea is written in English.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:35
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes but Dec 15, 2022

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

Well, in French idea is idée and in German Idee. So if one pronounces it as ID it just shows the person does not remember how idea is written in English.

German and French pronunciation is not close to ID. It’s / ee-deh /.

Maybe their analogy is with words such as pea, that idea is pronounced the same way. Or as in East, ea is pronounced /ee /. Or words such as please, grease, sleazy, would give someone idea that ea is always / ee / in English.

Kay Denney

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
forte Dec 15, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:

Or is English super-optimised for borrowing all sorts of words and making them sound natural?

I am happy to be a non-native who doesn't have to use the word "forte" when speaking English. If I had to, I would avoid going with the prolonged "fortay" and stick with the original pronunciation. Of course that would cause some miscommunication but I wouldn't feel responsible.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Vets and Veterinarians Dec 16, 2022

Not being a native English speaker, I must say I've always found this a bit confusing. Perhaps native English speakers could offer some perspective?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWDP_ew8HqQ

expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ex- Dec 16, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Not being a native English speaker, I must say I've always found this a bit confusing. Perhaps native English speakers could offer some perspective?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWDP_ew8HqQ

The usual British term used to be "ex-serviceman" - until somebody, somewhere, decided to adopt the American expression "veteran". This immediately created confusion with the word "vet" (veterinary surgeon). If people would just think what they're doing, perhaps these problems would not arise. People! Don't you just hate 'em?

expressisverbis

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Why forte? Dec 16, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:

I am happy to be a non-native who doesn't have to use the word "forte" when speaking English. If I had to, I would avoid going with the prolonged "fortay" and stick with the original pronunciation. Of course that would cause some miscommunication but I wouldn't feel responsible.

Does the pronunciation "fortay" sound like some other word in Turkish? The original Italian is certainly a two-syllable word. I believe English started truncating the final -e in pronunciation as an evolutionary step that occurred well into the history of the language. Indians seem fond of vocalizing the final -e: I heard Gillette pronounced as a three-syllable word with the stress on the first syllable, and I definitely heard more examples of this, even from Indians who spoke English at a very high level with hardly any accent. Overall, Indians have some charming ways of using English. Some of them have a thickkk accent, almost painful for me to hear (I had to abandon some interesting math channels where the narrators spoke with such an accent), but then I'd notice that UK people would readily understand even the worst cases of it and were able to maintain an effortless conversation with the speaker, some of them sounding as if they were mesmerized by the rhythm of the speaker's voice (I used to be a verifier and coordinator at a call center targeting the UK market, and I guess some people are going to hate me for that even though it's a thing of the past)

[Edited at 2022-12-16 08:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-16 08:24 GMT]

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
What about Brits? Dec 16, 2022

Okay, 'foreigners' mess up with their pronunciation, but what about Brits?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyhVAwMD044

expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Fortissimo Dec 16, 2022

Metin Demirel wrote:

....a non-native who doesn't have to use the word "forte" when speaking English...

That's probably because "forte" is not an English word. It's usually used in combination with other words , such as "chess is not my forte" (usually pronounced, rightly or wrongly, as "forty")

expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indian Dec 16, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:

..... I'd notice that UK people would readily understand ..... and were able to maintain an effortless conversation with the speaker....

That may be because there have been so many migrants from the Indian subcontinent to the UK; they have been very successful and continue to make a very significant contribution to British life. So we're used to various kinds of Indian/Pakistani accents. I don't think that is the case in other European countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQClnut6Zp4

[Edited at 2022-12-16 13:53 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
FWIW Dec 16, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

That's probably because "forte" is not an English word. It's usually used in combination with other words , such as "chess is not my forte" (usually pronounced, rightly or wrongly, as "forty")

I've never heard it pronounced in any way other than fortay, and with the stress on the first syllable

Michele Fauble

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Dec 16, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this topic is slightly politically incorrect?

Why?

Let them have a few good laughs at the silly foreigners who can't pronounce English correctly.

Then, We can have similar few good laughs at the silly foreigners who can't pronounce our languages correctly.

For example, Arabic has a few characters that are a bit** to pronounce by non Arabic speakers, especially English speakers.

Tom in London wrote:
To those for whom English is not a first language, the very strange pronunciation of some English people must be a constant problem.

Roughly fifteen years ago, I had a lengthy (over an hour long), almost one-sided (by him) conversation with an Australian; I swear that till this very moment I still don't know what he was saying 😝 (I mean, who, in their sane mind, would take the British accent and think "let's make this baby even harder to understand"?).

Conversation was supposed to be a minute or two, so I thought "be polite and just nod, he will be done soon, he must have things to do". Apparently, he thought "by god, he's such a great listener, why can't my wife and kids be like that?"

And, of course, another Australian introducing himself: "Muk". Me: "Mark?". Him: "Noooo. Muk!". Me (inwardly): "What the truck, Muk!😝"

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation that makes you cringe (inwardly)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »