Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:41
Catalan to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2006

I just read this article on the BBC website and thought others might find it amusing too.

Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4794753.stm?ls

Bladder alert lost in translation
Road sign
Safety message in English or health warning in Welsh?
Cyclists were left confused by a bilingual road sign
... See more
I just read this article on the BBC website and thought others might find it amusing too.

Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4794753.stm?ls

Bladder alert lost in translation
Road sign
Safety message in English or health warning in Welsh?
Cyclists were left confused by a bilingual road sign telling them they had problems with an inflamed bladder.

The "cyclists dismount" sign between Penarth and Cardiff became "llid y bledren dymchwelyd" in Welsh - literally "bladder inflammation upset" (or tip or overturn).

The Vale of Glamorgan Council said new signs were being made.

It is possible that an online translation led to confusion between cyclists and cystisis.

The temporary sign at roadworks is to be replaced.

Welsh-speaking cyclist Matt Lloyd, 27, said: "When I read the sign I thought someone was having a laugh. I've never even had a bladder disease."

Welsh language expert Owain Sgiv told the South Wales Echo: "It certainly does not mean anything like cyclists dismount."

A spokesman for the Vale of Glamorgan Council's highways department said: "A mistake has been made and we are investigating.

"Amended signs are being made and will be put up as soon as possible".
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
I wish Aug 16, 2006

I wish they would put up signs along the road announcing "p... stop", "bladder evacuation facility" or whatever. That would help.

[Edited at 2006-08-16 04:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bladder alert!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »