Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:54
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 30, 2004

Thanks to Narasimhan Raghavan for raising this topic in the French forum. This is the lyric of a 1950s pop song. Does anyone know any more like this?

I am my own Grandpa!

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three,
I got married to a widow who was a pretty as could be.
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her, and soon the two were wed.
This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life.
... See more
Thanks to Narasimhan Raghavan for raising this topic in the French forum. This is the lyric of a 1950s pop song. Does anyone know any more like this?

I am my own Grandpa!

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three,
I got married to a widow who was a pretty as could be.
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her, and soon the two were wed.
This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life.
My daughter was my mother, for she was my father's wife.
To complicate the matter more, although it brought me joy,
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.
My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad,
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad.
For if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother
To the widow's grown up daughter who of course was my step-mother.
Father's wife then had a son, who kept them on the run;
And he became my grandson, for he was my daughter's son.
My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue,
Because although she is my wife, she is my grandma too.
If my wife is my grandmother, then I am her grandchild,
And every time I think of it, it simply drives me wild;
For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw.
As the husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa!

(Chorus)
I am my own grandpa!
I am my own grandpa!
It sounds crazy, I know,
But it really is so!
I am my own grandpa!
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
This is actually the one question the king Vikramaditya was unable to answer! Aug 30, 2004

Thanks for bringing this up for the general public too. This is actually the one question the king Vikramaditya was unable to answer! The story of King Vikramaaditya and Betaal is well known in the Indian sub-continent. King Vikramaaditya was reputed to have ruled over his kingdom for 1000 years. This was as a result of the boon he received from the Goddess Kali. During his exploits, he comes across the Betaal, who hangs upside down a drumstick tree. Legend has it that the King carries the Betaa... See more
Thanks for bringing this up for the general public too. This is actually the one question the king Vikramaditya was unable to answer! The story of King Vikramaaditya and Betaal is well known in the Indian sub-continent. King Vikramaaditya was reputed to have ruled over his kingdom for 1000 years. This was as a result of the boon he received from the Goddess Kali. During his exploits, he comes across the Betaal, who hangs upside down a drumstick tree. Legend has it that the King carries the Betaal on his shoulders, keeping utter silence. To break his silence, the Betaal tells him a story with a twist and poses a question to him at the end, with the rider that should he keep silent inspite of knowing the answer, the king's head will break into pieces. The king, being a very intelligent human being will have to answer each time and the Betaal will fly back to its tree as the silenec is broken. Unfortunately for the Betaal, it poses at last the 24th question about the various relationships resulting from the twin marriages as mentioned by Jack Doughty in this thread and by me in the French thread. The king is unable to answer. Hence he keeps silent and the Betaal can no longer fly back. Why the king had to keep silent, why the Betaal was required to be taken by the king in the first place are questions that require many pages. If anybody is interested, I will be only too glad to oblige. But that will keep for the moment.Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:54
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Anyway, there's a bluegrass version of the concerning song Aug 30, 2004

When I saw your question, I rememebered I heard this song last Friday on live365
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/mini.cgi?membername=volunteer&clientType=&playlist=undefined&tm=1093582328940&tm=1093853187200

I understand you're initailly looking for (people who know) other funny songs / lyrics o
... See more
When I saw your question, I rememebered I heard this song last Friday on live365
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/mini.cgi?membername=volunteer&clientType=&playlist=undefined&tm=1093582328940&tm=1093853187200

I understand you're initailly looking for (people who know) other funny songs / lyrics of this kind, and I don't know whether this is usefull information.

However, in my opinion this kind of topic perfectly fits in the droopy yet genial, lovely bluegrass genre. Unfortunately I don't remember the artist. Information about artists / text writers could lead to a wider set of such songs. Of course you find more about artists / lyrics by searching for "I am my own Grandpa lyrics" in Google. Anyway, I'll inform you in case I spot the bluegrass artist.

The artist is Grandpa Jones:
http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/jones_grandpa/139339/album.jhtml

[Edited at 2004-09-21 09:52]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paradoxical relationships

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »