Off topic: My widget translator is too primitive for this...
Thread poster: Scoutshouse
Sep 17, 2010

I am researching the origin of what turns out to be a Swedish vase, and asked two Swedish ceramic sites for specific information... Just for fun, I used a translation widget online - and the sites replied in Swedish.

My widget is too primitive to translate the messages I got back:

Vasen är formgiven av konstnär Ewald Dahlskog ca 1938-40 och glasyren G K-45 (kallas atomglasyr) är skapad av ingenjör och glasyrkemisten Gösta Boberg, en av ägarna till företaget Bo Fa
... See more
I am researching the origin of what turns out to be a Swedish vase, and asked two Swedish ceramic sites for specific information... Just for fun, I used a translation widget online - and the sites replied in Swedish.

My widget is too primitive to translate the messages I got back:

Vasen är formgiven av konstnär Ewald Dahlskog ca 1938-40 och glasyren G K-45 (kallas atomglasyr) är skapad av ingenjör och glasyrkemisten Gösta Boberg, en av ägarna till företaget Bo Fajans.

The gist I get is that the form is (like or by) Ewald Dahlskog, approx 1938-40
{Glaze} UPHOLD K-45 was developed by Gösta Boberg, glaze chemist

The next one (widget translation) is too fractured to read:

Jag har inte sett den här vasen förut men visst är det en Bo Fajans och GK 45 är glasyren.
Formgivarer vet jag inte men jag förutsätter att det är lergods och inte stengods som t ex Friberg arbetade med.

Thanks for your time and consideration of my question.

Laurel
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
A little guesswork... Sep 19, 2010

I don't really speak Swedish either, but I think I get a little more of it:
The vase has been designed by artist Ewald Dahlskag around 1938-40 en been glazed G K-45 (??) and shaped by engineer and glaze chemist Gösta Boberg in the ?? until ?? Bo Fajans.

I haven't seen this vase before, but know/think that it is by Bo Fajoans and GK 45 is glazed.
The designer I don't know, but I assume that it is ?? and not ?? with t ex Friberg worked with.

H
... See more
I don't really speak Swedish either, but I think I get a little more of it:
The vase has been designed by artist Ewald Dahlskag around 1938-40 en been glazed G K-45 (??) and shaped by engineer and glaze chemist Gösta Boberg in the ?? until ?? Bo Fajans.

I haven't seen this vase before, but know/think that it is by Bo Fajoans and GK 45 is glazed.
The designer I don't know, but I assume that it is ?? and not ?? with t ex Friberg worked with.

Hope that helps somewhat, until a Swedish speaker can help you out.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:34
Swedish to English
+ ...
Instead of having fun playing around with widgets Sep 19, 2010

Why don't you just communicate in English with those sites?

I think you'll find that most Swedes have a pretty good command of English. Using English when communicating with them would save you the cost of hiring a professional translator. However, if you prefer to play around your widget, please contact me or another professional translator for a quote.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My widget translator is too primitive for this...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »