Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 26, 2008

Today I received the following email through my profile page (my rates are listed):

Subject line: Request for quote

Text:
English into German translation

That's all. No greeting, no regards, nothing. According to the author's name and email address, it was sent from the Hong Kong office of a large translation agency with numerous offices in several countries.

Maybe I should reply with an encrypted email, stating my secret rate wh
... See more
Today I received the following email through my profile page (my rates are listed):

Text:

That's all. No greeting, no regards, nothing. According to the author's name and email address, it was sent from the Hong Kong office of a large translation agency with numerous offices in several countries.

Maybe I should reply with an encrypted email, stating my secret rate which will be blackened out.

Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
English to Spanish
Could it be... Aug 26, 2008

a draft e-mail that was sent by mistake?. I have done it in the past, more than once. I sometimes ad information little by little to the e-mail I want to send and, before I have completed it, I hit the send button by mistake.

I really don´t think anybody has anything to gain by sending something so vague...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Send them a confidential fax Aug 26, 2008

Write your proposal (or just a blank piece of paper - won't make any difference).

But... before sending it, put in an envelope, seal it, stamp it "Confidential", and only then shove the closed envelope through the fax machine!

[Edited at 2008-08-26 14:22]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Sounds plausible, Elena Aug 26, 2008

On the other hand, I have received too many emails through my profile page (which displays my full name and my rates) with requests for quotes, without greeting, and no mentioning what the text is about, nothing.

This one would take the cake...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Had a similar one last week ... Aug 26, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Text:

Maybe I should reply with an encrypted email, stating my secret rate which will be blackened out.

... also from the Hong Kong office of a large translation agency.

Seems they really need to get their act in order.

Needless to say, and because I only work with EU-based clients anyhow, I pressed "delete", but I like your idea Nicole

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
English to German
+ ...
Jose provided a sovereign solution Aug 26, 2008

Sorry Nicole, but it really was fun reading your input. Nicole 007 in secret mission......with top secret prices and encrypted translations - great.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
He, he Aug 26, 2008

Capesha - as a kid I used to watch "Percy Stuart", a James Bond-like very secret agent who would always receive all his very secret tasks and briefings in a very secret, sealed envelope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Az9F1tMJu0&NR=1

))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Secret project

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »