http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/15/chinese-restaurant-c.html

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:41
Spanish
+ ...
OMG Aug 8, 2008

That is beyond funny! You'd think someone would have pointed it out before the whole signed was printed.

From the comments:
OM NOM NOM. I love their Segfault Chicken. And their Short Stack Overflow is to die for. Ooooh, and their 404 Not Pound Cake (foghorn) ^_^.

[Edited at 2008-08-08 21:59]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Why not? Aug 8, 2008

Some Chinese restaurants are better then others, no doubt, but I've eaten at many of them in many different places and liked them all.

It's enough to know that it's Chinese...

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 09:41
Spanish to English
Love it Aug 9, 2008

Can't remember a Chinese restaurant I didn't like, and I'm sure it's the purest of coincidences that there are no cats or dogs hanging aorund in back.
I saw some real beauts for restaurant names in NYC, but there are absolute gems here in Peru (especially Lima), including one particularly obscene name (there are many obscene names for Chinese restaurants here) that insists on advertising over the radio. I choke every time I hear its ads.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:41
English to French
+ ...
Are they this professional in all they do? Aug 9, 2008

If they cook the clients' meals as carefully as they translated their sign...

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
English to Polish
No everyone speaks English Aug 9, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

If they cook the clients' meals as carefully as they translated their sign...

Many Mainland Chinese do not know English and for the restaurant owners it might be only foreign characters they cannot read, which they think mean "restaurant". I don't see connection between being able to cook delicious food and speaking a foreign language.
And the other way around -I speak several languages and cook really bad

BTW: I have posted this picture somewhere on the forum a few weeks ago too It seems to get very popular

Anni

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
English to German
+ ...
I already saw Anna's posting last week Aug 9, 2008

and I thought, it was quite funny.

On the other side: I really don't want to know how many people with Chinese tattoos only believe that the signs mean something like peace, beauty or what else.....
If you don't speak the language you have to believe what others tell you

Rosie Blagg (X)
Rosie Blagg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:41
Spanish to English
Thanks for posting this Aug 9, 2008

It's brilliant! Could be a future Powwow venue...

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:41
English to French
+ ...
Misunderstanding? Aug 9, 2008

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I don't see connection between being able to cook delicious food and speaking a foreign language.

It's not the connection between being able to cook delicious food and speaking a foreign language that you should see. It is just a simple principle of being careful when you do business. I wouldn't expect those restaurant owners to speak perfect English - that is fine. But if they are this careless in naming the place (how much would it have cost them to find an English speaker and just check with them that the name actually means something?), I don't want to imagine how careless they could be when they cook the clients' meals.

If you visit an airport and see that there is a misspelling of its name on the facade, will you trust their security measures? It's not about language - it's about running a business.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's have dinner at Translate Server Error

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »