Language Industry Will Outpace World Economy In 2013

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Language Industry Will Outpace World Economy In 2013".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mark
Mark
Local time: 20:46
итальянский => английский
Growth from machine translation Dec 20, 2012

I’m not very business-minded myself, but I wonder about no. 3.

It’s easy to see that machine translation can boost the growth of the language industry in the short term. Is it true in the long term as well?

Andrei Sokolov
Andrei Sokolov  Identity Verified
Россия
русский => английский
+ ...
Growth from machine translation Dec 20, 2012

If we agree that the size of the language industry is measured in monetary units and not in text quantities translated by any means, then improved machine translation, instead of fueling the growth of the language sector, does exactly the opposite in that it (1) massively reduces the need to employ professional translators for 'lesser-quality requirements' and (2) reduces the cost of offered translation services (though mostly for 'lesser-quality requirements', again). I am not opposed to machin... See more
If we agree that the size of the language industry is measured in monetary units and not in text quantities translated by any means, then improved machine translation, instead of fueling the growth of the language sector, does exactly the opposite in that it (1) massively reduces the need to employ professional translators for 'lesser-quality requirements' and (2) reduces the cost of offered translation services (though mostly for 'lesser-quality requirements', again). I am not opposed to machine translation as such, but if it does boost the growth, it does it indirectly.Collapse

Mathilda Banfield
Mathilda Banfield  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
китайский => голландский
+ ...
'next website: machine translation' Dec 20, 2012

Mark Dobson: I’m not very business-minded myself, but I wonder about no. 3.

It’s easy to see that machine translation can boost the growth of the language industry in the short term. Is it true in the long term as well?

We've been informed by one of our partners that the next version of their website will be a machine-translated, a service they get from Microsoft. So our current translation of their website will be the last human translation
... See more
Mark Dobson: I’m not very business-minded myself, but I wonder about no. 3.

We've been informed by one of our partners that the next version of their website will be a machine-translated, a service they get from Microsoft. So our current translation of their website will be the last human translation effort that goes in to their website... Or wait, no, they'll need us to go over the whole thing because machines tend to make funny mistakes. I personally think overall, so much more texts are being produced to translate, that machine translation won't really slow down the growth described in the article.

I hope the predictions in the article accurate, that would be great.
Collapse

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
французский => английский
+ ...
Post editing Dec 20, 2012

Perhaps it would be a good idea to add "expertise in post editing machine translations" to one's profile? If one believes this article, then I have my doubts that growth will continue in the most common European pairs. Maybe I should learn Chinese properly or Malay or Urdu?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language Industry Will Outpace World Economy In 2013

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »