When translation rates are too high

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "When translation rates are too high".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Local time: 22:15
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Feb 4, 2010

Unfortunately, I have exactly the same experience : translation rates and quality are two different things.
You can obtain an excellent translation with low rates, as well as an extremely bad / useless translation with high rates.

By the way I do not accept editing jobs any more, because most of them mean actually retranslating the text for a lower editing rate.

Daniel Erlich
Daniel Erlich  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:15
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 4, 2010

I also refuse proofreading/editing jobs for precisely the same reason.

The only exception is when I'm guaranteed to be paid my normal price per word written, and even then it's unsavoury work most of the time...

Lucas Rayel
Lucas Rayel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

I accept proofreading/editing, but when it turns to be a retranslation for a lower rate, I just do as the poster said: I apologize and say that it needs to be retranslated instead of edited.

Mark Cole
Mark Cole  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2010

From the specific errors cited, it seems to me that Microsoft Word has spell-checked and auto-corrected the words in question. This would mean that the translator did not use the correct language settings for Italian. At the very least (s)he should have switched of the "autocorrect as you type" function.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When translation rates are too high

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »