clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:53
French to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2013

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I registered as self-employed with HMRC over 2 weeks ago. I was thought I'd read somewhere in the application process that they'd get back to me within 7 days of applying, but I could well be wrong! I got an automated e-mail on the day I registered, with a reference number which states that my application has been received and will now be verified. Does anyone have any idea how long I could be waiting to get a confirmation? I did ring up, but got
... See more
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I registered as self-employed with HMRC over 2 weeks ago. I was thought I'd read somewhere in the application process that they'd get back to me within 7 days of applying, but I could well be wrong! I got an automated e-mail on the day I registered, with a reference number which states that my application has been received and will now be verified. Does anyone have any idea how long I could be waiting to get a confirmation? I did ring up, but got passed from pillar to post. Nobody seemed to be able to tell me anything about my application and it cost a fortune to make the calls.
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Careful about setting off a duplicate number Feb 27, 2013

The same happened to me about ten years ago, but chasing this up was counter-productive because I somehow ended up with a duplicate UTR number, which created a lot of confusion down the line. So I would advise you to wait a little longer.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Confirmation Feb 27, 2013

I registered at the end of March last year and received confirmation in the middle of April. Perhaps it might be worth waiting another week or so. Eventually they should send you also a bill for national insurance contributions and at some point you'll get a reminder for your tax return for 2012-13.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Don't worry Feb 27, 2013

If you have an acknowledgement and reference number, you have done everything required of you.
Mine was about 10 years ago and I can't be certain, but I think the only paperwork I eventually received was a list of dates when the NI contributions would be taken from my account.
I'm sure you don't need to wait for any further confirmation before working.

Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL
Anna Bednarska, MA MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Communication with HMRC... Feb 27, 2013

I had to wait for their confirmation for over three weeks. And it was rather a confirmation of my registration for Self-Assessment services. Because I wanted to receive a "plain" confirmation of my self-employed status (some agencies in my country require such document), I had to call them numerous times because nobody could understand what I meant. As I went to their office to talk with some of their consultants, I was told that I should call them (!!!) and was given a list of numbers to choose... See more
I had to wait for their confirmation for over three weeks. And it was rather a confirmation of my registration for Self-Assessment services. Because I wanted to receive a "plain" confirmation of my self-employed status (some agencies in my country require such document), I had to call them numerous times because nobody could understand what I meant. As I went to their office to talk with some of their consultants, I was told that I should call them (!!!) and was given a list of numbers to choose from:) After many calls I finally got the right confirmation.
If you are afraid of telephone costs, you can always use their phones in your local HMRC office.

Good luck!
Anna
Collapse

María Ferreiro
María Ferreiro  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Up to 8 weeks Feb 27, 2013

Hi Clare,
I submitted my application back in 2010 and after a month without no news I called HRMC. I was told the whole process could take up to 8 weeks because they normally deal with lots of applications.
I don't remember exactly how long the whole application process took, but it was no more than 8 weeks.
Best regards,
María

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try your HMRC account Feb 27, 2013

You can also choose to submit your tax return electronically. For that you will need a User ID, which will take a little time, but then you can log in and see your account at HMRC - how much you owe or are owed. That way you can also check whether your new tax number has been set up.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I also registered (relatively) recently..... Feb 27, 2013

And I think I remember somewhere something about 7 days...but in reality it took just over a month for them to send me my UTR.

There's no German-style efficiency in HMRC, trust me.

Yep, just checked - I got email confirmation on 8th August and then the UTR number and activation code for self-assessment arrived by mail on the 14th September.

Edited to add what is in italics.

[Edited at 2013-02-27 21:03 GMT]

clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UTR worries Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I can't use a local office as I'm working in Spain for a few months.

I'm really worried about the UTR situation. Shortly after I rang HMRC in January to request a self-assessment form to report my Spanish income (before I'd decided to freelance), they sent me a UTR to my old address and it was only forwarded to me this week by my ex-landlord. So when I submitted my application, I said I didn't have a UTR number, but in fact, I do. I am afraid I could end up w
... See more
Thanks for the advice. I can't use a local office as I'm working in Spain for a few months.

I'm really worried about the UTR situation. Shortly after I rang HMRC in January to request a self-assessment form to report my Spanish income (before I'd decided to freelance), they sent me a UTR to my old address and it was only forwarded to me this week by my ex-landlord. So when I submitted my application, I said I didn't have a UTR number, but in fact, I do. I am afraid I could end up with a duplicate one and a whole load of hassle. It's their fault, not mine - I rang them to update my address at the same time I asked for the self-assessent form and they still managed to send it to the old one - but obviously I'm the one who'll have to sort it out!

I asked about the UTR situation when I called, but could not get an answer out of anybody. One woman told me it was unlikely it would be duplicated, because they should always double check, but who knows.

Should I be OK to go ahead and invoice clients? I might write to HMRC and explain my issue, just to have it in writing.

[Edited at 2013-02-27 22:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-27 22:08 GMT]
Collapse

Gemma Collinge
Gemma Collinge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Same problem... Feb 28, 2013

I'm in a similar situation. I registered using their online form almost four weeks ago and no word from HMRC.

I already asked my accountant and he said just to go ahead and invoice. I have a print out of the registration I sent online with a reference number. Basically, we've done what was required of us, so I'm going to wait a few more weeks until I start really worrying. It's not even in HMRC's best interests that we don't continue our business and earning money for them to tax.... See more
I'm in a similar situation. I registered using their online form almost four weeks ago and no word from HMRC.

I already asked my accountant and he said just to go ahead and invoice. I have a print out of the registration I sent online with a reference number. Basically, we've done what was required of us, so I'm going to wait a few more weeks until I start really worrying. It's not even in HMRC's best interests that we don't continue our business and earning money for them to tax.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Go ahead and invoice.... Feb 28, 2013

It's going to be a while before you have to do a self-assessment, by which time you should have sorted the UTR business out (even with HMRC's inefficiencies).

Gemma - I reckon you'll get yours any day now if my experience was typical of their timescales.

I also received my first request for payment of Class 2 NICs around the same time I got my UTR and SA activation code, but I think this may differ for different people (depending on when you registered etc).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Alas.... Feb 28, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

There's no German-style efficiency in HMRC, trust me.

Alas, there used to be until the government started cutting everything. Until a couple of years ago if you called HMRC (on a free phone number) they would reply instantly, and were very helpful.

Now you have to call a very expensive 0845 number, and you may wait for anything up to an hour before anyone answers. Or you may be cut off. Or if someone does answer they may not be able to answer your question, which will require you to call again some other time.

It's very sad to watch this systematic destruction of what used to be the best public services in the world.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Ty Feb 28, 2013

The UTR is a private number between you and HMRC and nothing to do with invoices or your clients.

Invoice your clients as normal and leave the UTR issue in HMRC's hands. I assume that in April they'll send you a tax return form on which they'll specify which UTR they want you to use, and as Ty says, even by HMRC standards, they should be able to make their mind up by 31 January 2014.

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
don't worry Feb 28, 2013

Hey it took me about four weeks get any confirmation from HMRC. I think it was a little while after that that I received my UTR as well.

Don't let it put you off applying for jobs though. You've done your part!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Registered as self-employed - no confirmation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »