Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:30
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Dec 24, 2012

I'm looking for factual statements for a discussion on a forum that has nothing to do with translation. I'd be glad to hear from anyone who knows about interpreting for the police back there in the UK.

My question is whether interpreters are made available (and paid for by the state) for all police matters. I believe they are a right for defendants in a criminal court case. Is that right? Is that also true for those who bring/defend a civil case, and/or witnesses? How about people w
... See more
I'm looking for factual statements for a discussion on a forum that has nothing to do with translation. I'd be glad to hear from anyone who knows about interpreting for the police back there in the UK.

My question is whether interpreters are made available (and paid for by the state) for all police matters. I believe they are a right for defendants in a criminal court case. Is that right? Is that also true for those who bring/defend a civil case, and/or witnesses? How about people who simply want to report a petty theft or something along those lines. If someone who can't speak English goes into their local police station to report a burglary, for instance, will an interpreter be found so that their statement can be taken? Do you know who ultimately gets to foot the bills you present? Do they get passed onto the individual concerned?

Any ideas, anyone? Informed opinion only, please. There's already far too much speculation and guesswork on this other forum. And let's not use this thread to discuss that terrible decision to farm out all UK court interpreting to the lowest bidder
Collapse

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
You do have the right to an interpreter Dec 24, 2012

Sheila, yes you're right that you can ask for an interpreter and expect to be provided with one in your language in all dealings with the police, including reporting a crime, making a witness statement, dealing with the CPS. It's a bit different within the legal system if you are funding your case through Legal Aid. I know there have been quite a few restrictions imposed on Legal Aid over recent years and solicitors seek to claim interpreting and translation costs from clients. The whole issue i... See more
Sheila, yes you're right that you can ask for an interpreter and expect to be provided with one in your language in all dealings with the police, including reporting a crime, making a witness statement, dealing with the CPS. It's a bit different within the legal system if you are funding your case through Legal Aid. I know there have been quite a few restrictions imposed on Legal Aid over recent years and solicitors seek to claim interpreting and translation costs from clients. The whole issue is a bit like shifting sands at the moment though as you will probably know from other threads and message boards and feelings do run high.Collapse

Steve Derry
Steve Derry  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:30
German to English
+ ...
Yes for all Police matters Dec 24, 2012

Hi Sheila,
Prior to becoming a full-time freelance translator I was a Police Officer for nearly 20 years in Central London (during that time I also obtained the DPSI).

Certainly up until the time I left (about 3 years ago) interpreters/translators were provided free of charge for all police-related matters, whether for detainees, victims or witnesses.

Initially, if someone came into a Police Station to report an incident and an interpreter was required, Language L
... See more
Hi Sheila,
Prior to becoming a full-time freelance translator I was a Police Officer for nearly 20 years in Central London (during that time I also obtained the DPSI).

Certainly up until the time I left (about 3 years ago) interpreters/translators were provided free of charge for all police-related matters, whether for detainees, victims or witnesses.

Initially, if someone came into a Police Station to report an incident and an interpreter was required, Language Line would be used (an over-the-telephone service with which, I think, all 43 forces in England and Wales had a contract with). Depending on the nature or seriousness of the matter, an interpreter would then be booked to take the statement. I know that in London, these had to be selected from a list held by the control room and I think everyone on it had to hold the DPSI (subsequently Met Police test). Once the interpreter/translator had finished, there was a standard form that they would complete, the officer requesting the services would sign/stamp it and this would then be submitted to admin for processing. In short, all these services were paid for by the respective police force and never passed on to the individual.

With regard to defendants, yes there is an absolute right to an interpreter (covered by the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984) and once a person had been charged, it was normal for the officer to make an appointment with an interpreter for the first court hearing (and woe betide anyone who did not, as I found out once early on in my career). After that, it was for the courts to make further arrangements (I appreciate this may have changed now, but as you say, this is outside of this topic).

I am afraid I am unable to give much advice with regard to civil/private cases, but I BELIEVE it is for the individual to pay for, unless they are in receipt of legal aid.

This is just a brief overview, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me via my Proz profile or email which is in my CV.

Regards and Merry Christmas
Steve
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very useful Dec 24, 2012

@ Gül and Steve,

Thanks very much for the info.

Happy end-of-year holidays to you both

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

A question specifically for police interpreters in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »