Thread poster: Jessie LN
Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2012

I'm hoping to start freelancing on a part-time basis. I've been looking into registering as self-employed with HMRC and have gone through the first part of their e-learning course for starting a business.

It states that you must register your new business with them within 6 months of the end of the current tax year, which would be 5 October 2012 for this year.

Obviously, I have missed this date. Does this mean that I now have to wait until April 2013 (i.e. the start of
... See more
I'm hoping to start freelancing on a part-time basis. I've been looking into registering as self-employed with HMRC and have gone through the first part of their e-learning course for starting a business.

It states that you must register your new business with them within 6 months of the end of the current tax year, which would be 5 October 2012 for this year.

Obviously, I have missed this date. Does this mean that I now have to wait until April 2013 (i.e. the start of the next tax year) to register and even start seriously seeking clients?

Just thought I would ask around here before phoning them up, as I can foresee having to go through sixty different menus and having to hold the line for an indeterminate amount of time...

Thanks for your help!

[Edited at 2012-12-12 09:56 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Register by 5 Oct AFTER the end of the tax year Dec 12, 2012

Hi Jessie,

As I understand it you need to register by 5 October 2013 if you start freelancing now. (Obviously, it's probably best to register right now but you have until 5 October after the end of the tax year in which you took up freelancing.

That's what it says on the HMRC website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/register.htm#2

The latest you should register is by 5 October after the end of the tax year for which you need a tax return. The tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next.

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:15 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Baffled Dec 12, 2012

Jessie L. wrote:

I'm not sure what they mean. Becoming self-employed in the UK couldn't be simpler. You just notify HMRC and they'll send you notification of the NI contributions to be made. I don't recall any mention of deadlines or any other restrictions whatsoever.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
After year you started Dec 12, 2012

Jessie L. wrote:

"The latest you should register is by 5 October after the end of the tax year for which you need a tax return."

If you started you business during 2011-2012 and need to complete a tax return for that tax year, you should have registered no later than 5 Oct 2012.

If you are starting your business this tax year, 2012-2013, you need to register for self assessment no later than 5 Oct 2013.

Don't forget that you also have to register for NI no later than 3 months after the end of the month you started trading.

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:14 GMT]

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 12, 2012

Thank you for your replies and the information.

This is what it says in the e-learning portal:
You must tell HMRC within six months of the end of the tax year in which you start self-employment.

You must therefore register by 5 October.

Which makes me think it's 6 months before the end of the tax year, but I suppose I've misinterpreted it and it actually means 6 months after! Argh! Great start for a trans
... See more
Thank you for your replies and the information.

This is what it says in the e-learning portal:
You must tell HMRC within six months of the end of the tax year in which you start self-employment.

You must therefore register by 5 October.

Which makes me think it's 6 months before the end of the tax year, but I suppose I've misinterpreted it and it actually means 6 months after! Argh! Great start for a translator, eh?!

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:34 GMT]
Collapse

Maryline David
Maryline David  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Registration with HMRC is extra-easy Dec 12, 2012

Hi Jessie,

It is definitely after.

In fact, just a quick call to the HMRC self-employment helpline (0845 915 4515) will confirm that (generally very helpful, and the wait is often surprisingly short - at least when I call).

All the best in your new career

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

HMRC self-employment registration time frame

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »