Thread poster: Adriana Foresti
Adriana Foresti
Adriana Foresti  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 26, 2012

Hi colleagues,

I was wondering how much do you usually pay your notary public for notarising a translation? the notary I have used so far has increased his price of £10 since last year, and honestly, I felt ripped off and did not walk out of his office simply because I had already told my client that her translation would be ready that evening....
In some old posts I read that notarisation fees in London should be around £10. I was quite shocked, since I used to pay £35, an
... See more
Hi colleagues,

I was wondering how much do you usually pay your notary public for notarising a translation? the notary I have used so far has increased his price of £10 since last year, and honestly, I felt ripped off and did not walk out of his office simply because I had already told my client that her translation would be ready that evening....
In some old posts I read that notarisation fees in London should be around £10. I was quite shocked, since I used to pay £35, and last time £45....anyone wants to enlighten me please?

Thanks!

Adriana
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Notaries and commissioners for oaths Nov 26, 2012

Dear Adriana,
I believe you may be referring to a commissioner for oaths (any solicitor, barrister, qualified legal practitioner in England and Wales) - you can go to any solicitor and swear an oath before them that your translation is accurate (to the best of your knowledge). In the UK, this is usually sufficient. The solicitor I use charges £7 per document for this. I am aware that others (in north London) charge between £5-12 for this same service. Although it is quite routine and sim
... See more
Dear Adriana,
I believe you may be referring to a commissioner for oaths (any solicitor, barrister, qualified legal practitioner in England and Wales) - you can go to any solicitor and swear an oath before them that your translation is accurate (to the best of your knowledge). In the UK, this is usually sufficient. The solicitor I use charges £7 per document for this. I am aware that others (in north London) charge between £5-12 for this same service. Although it is quite routine and simple, I guess it is up to them how much they want to charge.
Notaries are another story, and you'd need to book an appointment in advance (AFAIK) rather than just turn up on the doorstep and although I've never yet had to use the services of one myself, I understand the charge is usually around £150-200. Notaries are used less here.
I only work into English but I suspect that translators working with documents to be translated for foreign jurisdictions may have to refer to particular solicitors accepted by the embassy of that country for this purpose, and they may charge more for it.
A bit dated, however I posted this way back when: http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/149905-sworn_translations_in_england_and_wales:_how_to_get_it_done.html it may be useful in your search for a (new) notary.
The cost of a solicitor/notary should be included in your fee (I'd include travel time/expense too).
Aisha
Collapse

Adriana Foresti
Adriana Foresti  Identity Verified

Local time: 17:25
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 26, 2012

Thanks for your answer Aisha. I was not aware that a solicitor would do, I thought the oath had to be done in front of a notary....thanks for the link too.
Adriana

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Cost of notarisation in London: an enquiry

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »