Thread poster: Kathleen Davis
Kathleen Davis
Kathleen Davis
Local time: 16:09
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2012

Public liability? Professional indemnity? I'm confused... what are the legal and / or desirable insurance requirements for a freelancer working from home in the UK?

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Are you sure you need it? Oct 6, 2012

Generally, our profession is not regulated, so there is no legal requirement. Some clients may require it, and I've seen a few mentions in job adverts here on ProZ, but have never been asked by actual clients to take any kind of liability insurance.
As regards your own peace of mind, it's for you to decide. Personally, I consider it totally unnecessary, as in 27 years in the business I have never had so much as an argument about my fees for quality-related reasons, much less any liability
... See more
Generally, our profession is not regulated, so there is no legal requirement. Some clients may require it, and I've seen a few mentions in job adverts here on ProZ, but have never been asked by actual clients to take any kind of liability insurance.
As regards your own peace of mind, it's for you to decide. Personally, I consider it totally unnecessary, as in 27 years in the business I have never had so much as an argument about my fees for quality-related reasons, much less any liability issues. Your best insurance is being totally diligent and verifying every word or phrase you have even a slight doubt about.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:09
Italian to English
Guidance Oct 6, 2012

It is interesting that, while both the ITI and IoL have negotiated favourable terms with Professional indemnity Insurers, insurance cover is not a requirement for membership and neither body appears even to recommend that it is advisable.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Part of a useful package Oct 6, 2012

I don't know what is currently included in the package negotiated by the CIoL, but I started with their scheme. The insurers regretfully told me some years ago that it was too expensive for them to cover me since I was not resident in the UK.

However, professional indemnity was part of a package that I was happy to pay for, and I immediately negotiated a similar package with Danish insurers as I live in Denmark. As the annual premium is not high, I pay it for the rest of the package
... See more
I don't know what is currently included in the package negotiated by the CIoL, but I started with their scheme. The insurers regretfully told me some years ago that it was too expensive for them to cover me since I was not resident in the UK.

However, professional indemnity was part of a package that I was happy to pay for, and I immediately negotiated a similar package with Danish insurers as I live in Denmark. As the annual premium is not high, I pay it for the rest of the package.

It covers loss of earnings if I am ill for any length of time, or if my business is disrupted by things like fire, theft or computer virus, for instance. It covers replacement of my computer and resources and yes, professional indemnity, should any claims be made, although the actuary admitted that he did not know of any.

With luck I will never need it, but you never know until after the event, and then it is too late to take out insurance.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Insurance for UK freelancers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »