Interpreting for the NHS (employment question).
Thread poster: emmachou26
emmachou26
emmachou26
Local time: 06:45
Aug 11, 2012

(Although it's a woman's username, I'm actually posting this on behalf of my wife Emma)

Hope somebody here might have some advice/help. My wife's a Mandarin interpreter for the NHS in Scotland. Like I suspect a few of you have, she's waiting on her Leave to Remain to come through, which can take a long time. Now, while you're waiting, your previous visa (spousal visa in her case) continues right on until you either get your LTR or you don't.

That includes the right to
... See more
(Although it's a woman's username, I'm actually posting this on behalf of my wife Emma)

Hope somebody here might have some advice/help. My wife's a Mandarin interpreter for the NHS in Scotland. Like I suspect a few of you have, she's waiting on her Leave to Remain to come through, which can take a long time. Now, while you're waiting, your previous visa (spousal visa in her case) continues right on until you either get your LTR or you don't.

That includes the right to work in the UK. The NHS, however, insisted that because Emma didn't have Leave to Remain, she couldn't work for them because she wasn't legally entitled - which was bullshit. I phoned Immigration and they gave me a phone number they actually provide specifically for employers - including the NHS - to get verification that someone can work in this country.

The NHS refused to call the number without giving any reason. We did, however, at the time (three months ago) manage to sort out some kind of twelve week 'extension' to her work contract that allowed her to keep working. Except that runs out on MOnday, and now we get a letter saying she can't work for them after Monday because - surprise! - she's not legally entitled.

We've written to our MP, but haven't heard back yet. She really doesn't want to lose work. She needs and wants the money. Has anyone out there, at all, while going through LTR and working as an interpreter for the NHS had a problem like this? I'd really appreciate hearing from you if you have and if you did anything about it.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:45
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sorry I can't help... Aug 14, 2012

But just hope you get some help somewhere.

I don't live in the UK, and am very hazy about interpreter regulations.

I'm answering partly to send your post further up the front page again, in the hope that someone who can help will see it, before it drops off the list.

I assume you have tried asking the ITI or CIoL for advice?

[Edited at 2012-08-14 12:07 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Interpreting for the NHS (employment question).

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »