Changing business name
Thread poster: Sarah Port
Sarah Port
Sarah Port  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
German to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2012

I am operating as a sole trader in the UK and am intending to change my business name. Obviously I need to notify the HMRC, but will this pose any problems with them? For example, would I need to complete two tax returns for the tax year in question, one for each business? There will also inevitably be a short changeover period when I am still working on jobs I started under my old business name whilst starting to accept jobs under my new business name. How do I overcome this or am I just worryi... See more
I am operating as a sole trader in the UK and am intending to change my business name. Obviously I need to notify the HMRC, but will this pose any problems with them? For example, would I need to complete two tax returns for the tax year in question, one for each business? There will also inevitably be a short changeover period when I am still working on jobs I started under my old business name whilst starting to accept jobs under my new business name. How do I overcome this or am I just worrying unnecessarily?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:21
Member (2009)
German to English
Ask HMRC or an accountant Aug 2, 2012

I don't know the answers to your questions but I suggest you ask an accountant, or call the HMRC self-employed hotline, who I have always found to be very helpful.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
You can call yourself what you like. Aug 2, 2012

Assuming you're not a limited company, HMRC has no interest in your business name. You can change it as often as you like. If the nature of your business changes (for example you switch from translation to language teaching), you just need to report this on your tax return.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Changing business name

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »