Birmingham or Surrey for MA translation course?
Thread poster: karentlk
May 28, 2012

I get an offer from University of Birmingham( MA Translation Studies) and University of Surrey (MA Business Translation). But, I don't know to choose hich one as each of them have their own strong points according to their course structures and rankings. Can anyone give me some advice regarding these two universities as I hardly find individuals' opinion towards them. Thanks.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:01
Chinese to English
I don't recommend Birmingham May 28, 2012

I did the B'ham MA, and didn't like it much. There's no interaction with other students, and the course is entirely theory, no practical stuff at all.

Don't know anything about Surrey, I'm afraid.

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
French to English
+ ...
MA at Surrey May 28, 2012

Hi,
I did an MA in translation at the University of Surrey in 2000-2001 and found the course to be very good with a good mix of theory and practical application. The translation department is well-established and has a good reputation. I would recommend it.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
Significance of Studies May 29, 2012

karentlk wrote:
... University of Birmingham ( MA Translation Studies) and University of Surrey (MA Business Translation).

The difference in names is significant. " Translation Studies" is an academic discipline linked to Comparative Literature and Translation Theory. I have been on such a course, and found it very interesting.

But anything incorporating the word Studies is probably not a vocational course, designed to turn you into a freelance translator. Perhaps not unlike the difference between Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics.

karentlk
karentlk
TOPIC STARTER
How about University of Nottingham? May 30, 2012

Thanks for the advices. I am not a linguistic student in my degree. So, a bit afraid that I can't cope with the interpreting part and seems translation will be a better choice for me. However, I am interested in trying the interpretation and feel very confusing now. I think I will consider twice before making decision. Besides, how about the translation and interpreting courses in the University of Nottingham? I am considering of applying for it too... See more
Thanks for the advices. I am not a linguistic student in my degree. So, a bit afraid that I can't cope with the interpreting part and seems translation will be a better choice for me. However, I am interested in trying the interpretation and feel very confusing now. I think I will consider twice before making decision. Besides, how about the translation and interpreting courses in the University of Nottingham? I am considering of applying for it tooCollapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Birmingham or Surrey for MA translation course?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »