Interpreting/Translation Courses that offer Portuguese? (in the UK or US)
Thread poster: cabrunco
Apr 28, 2012

Hi all... apologies if this is the wrong forum, i'm new here so not sure where this should be. Please move this topic if need be

I got my BA in "Latin American Studies" (Spanish & Portuguese) from the University of Manchester. I'm hoping to build on that this autumn with an MA in an Interpreting or Translation course.

I lean towards Leeds as I'll be able to stay with family there and afford the course, bu
... See more
Hi all... apologies if this is the wrong forum, i'm new here so not sure where this should be. Please move this topic if need be

I got my BA in "Latin American Studies" (Spanish & Portuguese) from the University of Manchester. I'm hoping to build on that this autumn with an MA in an Interpreting or Translation course.

I lean towards Leeds as I'll be able to stay with family there and afford the course, but can anyone recommend other universities (in the UK, but could be the US as well) that offer the option to study Portuguese? I'm surprised that I'm finding it hard.

Westminster would be a great place to study but Portuguese doesn't seem to be possible there. At Manchester you can study Translation in Portuguese but not Interpreting. It's not possible at Bath, Salford or Heriot Watt.

Does anyone know of anywhere else? So far all I've seen in Leeds and London Met

Thanks!
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
German to English
+ ...
Check out Apr 28, 2012

The Monterey Institute of International Studies in California. Maybe a llittle farther away than what you're looking for

http://www.miis.edu/about/monterey

Trudy

cabrunco
cabrunco
TOPIC STARTER
nice Apr 28, 2012

Thanks

I do hold a US passport, so a student/working visa wouldn't be an issue.... Cost may be however, though I'd love to see California!

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Monterey Apr 28, 2012

According to MIIS's website, Portuguese is not one of the languages offered for their Translation and Interpretation MA. http://www.miis.edu/academics/programs/translationinterpretation

I'm not sure of other schools, but I had looked at MIIS myself, so I thought I'd pass on this information. Good luck!

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
In the UK Apr 30, 2012

there's only Leeds left now I think.

Salford offered Portuguese up until 2011 (without interpreting) but the department is now closed.

I will be doing Pt interpreting at Leeds starting this year as well, so see you there??

cabrunco
cabrunco
TOPIC STARTER
Leeds Apr 30, 2012

Sounds like Italian is closing at Salford as well...sad times

I would hope to see you there Diana, I need to be given an offer first!

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Good luck! Apr 30, 2012

And believe me, after my 2 hour interview (with sight translation and interpreting) I did not think I would make the cut. So, patience my friend, you never know!

cabrunco
cabrunco
TOPIC STARTER
yikes Apr 30, 2012

Thanks! with all that...sounds like I'll need it

What is "Pt interpreting"? Public Services? And what "sight translation"?

Diana Coada (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apologies! Apr 30, 2012

PT is the standard form used for Portuguese, ES for Spanish, and so on.

Sight translation is an interpretation of a written text (you have a certain time to read the text, prepare the summary and than interpret that into the target language).

[Edited at 2012-04-30 16:22 GMT]

cabrunco
cabrunco
TOPIC STARTER
ooohhhhh Apr 30, 2012

my mistake

I had what sounds like a similar exam when I applied for a US Government job, so I'll hope for the best. So they test you on written translation, is there anything on spoken interpreting?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Interpreting/Translation Courses that offer Portuguese? (in the UK or US)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »