Recommended location in the UK
Thread poster: Eva Bartilucci
Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:11
Finnish to English
London IS pricey Mar 13, 2012

I like to pop into London as much as the next guy, but to say it isn't that expensive is a little bit misleading.

When my friends in London were paying £1100 a month rent for one room in a shared flat, I was renting a newly refurbished 2-bed flat in Southsea (Portsmouth) of similar size and spec for £495... and I was within a 10 minute walk from the beach. I recommend you check out
... See more
I like to pop into London as much as the next guy, but to say it isn't that expensive is a little bit misleading.

When my friends in London were paying £1100 a month rent for one room in a shared flat, I was renting a newly refurbished 2-bed flat in Southsea (Portsmouth) of similar size and spec for £495... and I was within a 10 minute walk from the beach. I recommend you check out rental costs at www.rightmove.co.uk. Don't know if you can pull off a 2-bed flat for £500 anymore, but should be easy at £600.

As for Bath, I will have to add a caveat that I've not been to Bath in a couple of years. It'd be a shame if it has been ruined by tourists.

I'll also support Into's vote for Sheffield. I've never lived there, but I've visited quite a few times to play ice hockey and I've always had a great time when staying overnight. I also think the people in Yorkshire are generally quite nice and friendly.

I still think that Portsmouth warrants closer consideration. It ticks all the boxes (size, school for translators and interpreters, attractive) and it's affordable. I moved there because of the school and the sea. I stayed because of the cost and it is so connected to Europe.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:11
Hebrew to English
Convinced me! Mar 13, 2012

I don't know about the OP but you have persuaded me to visit Portsmouth (I've not been there yet)...are you sure you don't work for the Portsmouth Tourist Board?

[Edited at 2012-03-13 15:02 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Now you're talking Mar 13, 2012

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Can't let this go on any longer without mentioning probably the greatest city in the world.

Yes - Liverpool is a marvellous place - despite all the wrecking it still has the magic of (in parts) what a great Victorian seaport was like. And the two cathedrals are wonderful. The people are a delight.

Then of course there's Leicester: once voted "the most boring place in England" it's actually a fascinating, friendly place that has been given a big facelift in recent years. And since Leicester has the largest Asian population in the UK, the best Indian meal you'll ever eat (outside India) will be in Leicester ! Two excellent universities, only an hour and 15 mins from London, beautiful countryside around, and some seriously good pubs where they make a real fuss about good beer.

[Edited at 2012-03-13 16:33 GMT]

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Polar opposites Mar 13, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Can't let this go on any longer without mentioning probably the greatest city in the world.

Yes - Liverpool is a marvellous place - despite all the wrecking it still has the magic of (in parts) what a great Victorian seaport was like. And the two cathedrals are wonderful. The people are a delight.

Then of course there's Leicester: once voted "the most boring place in England" it's actually a fascinating, friendly place that has been given a big facelift in recent years. And since Leicester has the largest Asian population in the UK, the best Indian meal you'll ever eat (outside India) will be in Leicester ! Two excellent universities, only an hour and 15 mins from London, beautiful countryside around, and some seriously good pubs where they make a real fuss about good beer.

[Edited at 2012-03-13 15:28 GMT]

Liverpool, Leicester. Hmmm. More industrialized monstrosities. Tom and I are just complete polar opposites

The Catch 22, in my opinion, is that most of the cities with a population of more than 120,000 are more industrialized and therefore less "attractive" (to my eyes). Although some of the places with more than 120,000 are still attractive.

Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:11
Finnish to English
Come on down Mar 13, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I don't know about the OP but you have persuaded me to visit Portsmouth (I've not been there yet)...are you sure you don't work for the Portsmouth Tourist Board?

[Edited at 2012-03-13 15:02 GMT]

Funny you should say that... I used to be a tourist guide doing walking and coach tours when I was a student. Send me a note if you ever make it down here and I'll be happy to give you a private tour of all the best places... and you too, Eva.

"...and on your right is the Historic Dockyard. Home of the world's oldest commissioned warship and Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar, the famous HMS Victory."

Although my favourite part is in Old Portsmouth where I got to tell the group that this here is the very house where Lord Nelson was banging Lady Hamilton behind his wife's back on the very last night before he set sail to Trafalgar.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
You mean this industrialised monstronsity...? Mar 13, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Albert_dock_at_night.jpg

And...if you look to your left, you'll see the largest cluster of Grade I listed buildings in the country.

Just out of shot to the right is a brand new £1.1 bn retail and leisure development that's taken Liverpool to number 5 in U
... See more

And...if you look to your left, you'll see the largest cluster of Grade I listed buildings in the country.

Just out of shot to the right is a brand new £1.1 bn retail and leisure development that's taken Liverpool to number 5 in UK shopping destinations.

And as we head further north, you'll see the site of the £5 bn office / resi / marina / cruise terminal development that obtained planning permission last week.

That concludes the tour.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ugh Mar 13, 2012

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Just out of shot to the right is a brand new £1.1 bn retail and leisure development that's taken Liverpool to number 5 in UK shopping destinations.

And as we head further north, you'll see the site of the £5 bn office / resi / marina / cruise terminal development that obtained planning permission last week.

That concludes the tour.

Never mind all those horrible new commercial shopping malls. Liverpool still has large parts of its wonderful Victorian city centre and if you walk up the hills (Liverpool is surrounded by hills) there are streets and streets of elegant 18th and 19th century houses.

Richard Foulkes (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
You mean this fantastic Victorian architecture? Mar 13, 2012

http://www.liverpooltraveltrade.com/attractions/unesco/st-george-s-hall/

Indeed it does Tom...

I was merely pointing out that we've also moved with the times (finally) in case the OP is looking for both modern amenities and a rich history.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Clever Mar 13, 2012

Richard Foulkes wrote:

http://www.liverpooltraveltrade.com/attractions/unesco/st-george-s-hall/

Indeed it does Tom...

I was merely pointing out that we've also moved with the times (finally) in case the OP is looking for both modern amenities and a rich history.

Your photograph cleverly hides the pink and purple plastic monstrosity next to it. One of your "modern amenities"

[Edited at 2012-03-13 17:32 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The silk purse Mar 13, 2012

Richard,

Is it only ever night in Liverpool?

Richard Foulkes (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Not as such... Mar 13, 2012

Just a big screen set up to welcome visitors coming out of Lime Street station in the recent European Capital of Culture year.

And to sort of hide an unattractive 60s shopping centre.

I'm sure you'll prefer t
... See more
Just a big screen set up to welcome visitors coming out of Lime Street station in the recent European Capital of Culture year.

And to sort of hide an unattractive 60s shopping centre.

I'm sure you'll prefer this to the right:

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/allom/1.html
Collapse

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
To each his own.... Mar 13, 2012

If there's one thing we don't seem to do well it's malls (retail and leisure developments).
I'm never particularly impressed with malls at the best of times, but the only mall which has lingered in my memory is City Stars in Cairo. It puts anything I've experienced here to shame. (Especially the abyss that is the Bullring in Birmingham).

Also, snapshots are....snapshots.

Richard Foulkes (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Why not see for yourself? Mar 13, 2012

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Richard,

In the meantime, here's the largest cathedral in Britain by day just for you.

http://www.shipoffools.com/mystery/2006/1259.html

Anyway...there's plenty more but I'm sure the OP has got a flavour of the place by now so let's leave it there.

Ty - Liverpool One isn't a mall but more of an overhaul of the city centre. Something tells me you wouldn't like it anyway. I tend to agree about the Bullring though. It's certainly distinctive!

[Edited at 2012-03-13 18:31 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK but Mar 13, 2012

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Richard,

In the meantime, here's the largest cathedral in Britain by day just for you.

http://www.shipoffools.com/mystery/2006/1259.html

Anyway...there's plenty more but I'm sure the OP has got a flavour of the place by now so let's leave it there.

Ty - Liverpool One isn't a mall but more of an overhaul of the city centre. Something tells me you wouldn't like it anyway. I tend to agree about the Bullring though. It's certainly distinctive!

[Edited at 2012-03-13 18:31 GMT]

OK I think that's enough about Liverpool. How about other university towns (strangely, nobody has mentioned Oxford or Cambridge)

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Charlie did Mar 13, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

OK I think that's enough about Liverpool. How about other university towns (strangely, nobody has mentioned Oxford or Cambridge)

Or Hull: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

[Edited at 2012-03-13 21:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Recommended location in the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »