membership fees: what membership fees can be claimed back in a tax return?
Thread poster: Aleksandra Mazur-Bryla
Aleksandra Mazur-Bryla
Aleksandra Mazur-Bryla  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
Member (2011)
English to Polish
Feb 13, 2012

To all translators working in the UK,

It is still some time before the next tax assessment but I just wanted to double check with someone experienced in the subject whether membership fees (in my case CIoL and proz.com) could be claimed in a translator's tax return.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Aleksandra Mazur-Bryla

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think all such membership fees are tax deductible Feb 13, 2012

As far as I know my membership subscriptions of the ITI, TA and Proz are all put down as tax deductible expenses by my accountant.

You don't actually claim the amount back, but they are added to the business expenses against which tax is not paid.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
HMRC website is your friend Feb 13, 2012

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/list3/list3.htm

Check the pdf for "L", as in "Linguists, Inst. of" - they don't appear to have realised it's Chartered now

Since I only paid proz membership "wholly and exclusively" for business reasons, I used to claim it, back when I paid it. That's your basic rule.

Aleksandra Mazur-Bryla
Aleksandra Mazur-Bryla  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 13, 2012

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

membership fees: what membership fees can be claimed back in a tax return?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »