Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Working in the UK
Thread poster: A. Deb
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:22
French to English
+ ...
UK vs Spain Dec 24, 2012

neilmac wrote:

All the translators I know working in the UK would love to able to move to Spain but they all have some reason keeping them there, whether it's a house, kids or their partner's job etc. You'd have to drag me back there kicking and screaming, seriously.

Whenever I go back to UK I just keep on working with my Spanish clients via internet. If you are looking for an in-house position, I suppose there are more agencies in the London area, but as Tom says, if you are working freelance from home it doesn't really matter where you are located as long as you have internet.

I planned to start working as a freelance translator when I moved to Spain, but it just seems way too complicated and expensive. Having to pay 250+ euros in autonomo regardless of how much you earn and mountains of paperwork. It's really frustrating, because I have the free time but I can't really get into paid translation and because of the state of the economy, I can't rely too much on the day job in the long term. From what I can see, it's 10 times easier to get set up as a freelancer in the UK and that's one of the reasons I'll probably be going back next year.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Working in the UK

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »