Mobile internet in the UK (for a laptop with a SIM slot)
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2011

Hi everyone,

I just moved from Germany to London. I will be getting a telephone and internet provider in the next couple of days but in the meantime, I am looking for an internet provider, which offers pay as you go mobile internet services.

I have a laptop with an integrated SIM slot. Which provider does offer SIM cards for laptops to have mobile internet access?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Estefanía

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:17
French to English
They all do Oct 13, 2011

When I'm in the UK I use Vodaphone pay-as-you go internet which costs me about £10 a month. The SIM is free if you get a £10 top up.
PS It may be a good idea to use your mobile phone to check the signal strengths of the different operators in your own home before choosing. Vodaphone has an excellent coverage in the UK.

[Edited at 2011-10-13 15:04 GMT]

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:17
German to English
Try T-Mobile Oct 13, 2011

I used to use a Vodafone UMTS stick when I was in the UK, but switched to a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go UMTS stick last year because of far better coverage and signal strength. So I'd say that T-Mobile may be the better provider for data transmission (I'd also recommend a UMTS stick in preference to an internal SIM slot).

HTH,
Robin

Camelia Colnic
Camelia Colnic  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:17
Romanian to English
+ ...
3 (Three) Oct 13, 2011

3 (Three) is good. I used that a lot for my PC.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Mobile internet in the UK (for a laptop with a SIM slot)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »