Lavinia-Loredana Spargo
Lavinia-Loredana Spargo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2010

Hello!

I am about to register with Wales Interpreter and Translation Services, and they are asking for information about family, friends, partner/spouse. They're obviously trying to check if they have a criminal record or are currently involved in any criminal activities.
My partner and a member of my family both have criminal record. Do you think this will go against me and prevent me from getting a job with them?

Thank you!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't ask the crowd Oct 6, 2010

Ask Wales Interpreter and Translation Services, they know, the crowd here has no knowledge whatsoever about what they want. We are a very poor source of information on that.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 6, 2010

They do advertise that their linguists are vetted, but this sounds like guilt by association!

Lavinia-Loredana Spargo
Lavinia-Loredana Spargo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give them a ring Oct 6, 2010

You are right, I should probably give them a ring.

And I can understand where they're coming from but still I don't think it's fair that someone else's actions are affecting my life.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
WITS Oct 6, 2010

Hi Lavinia,

I'm registered with WITS too and also agree that it's best to speak with them rather than discuss on an open forum. They're very nice and helpful.

I should imagine they need to know about family members with criminal convictions in case there could be conflicts of interest in certain situations, just guessing though.

Good luck.

Suzi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lavinia Oct 7, 2010

Lavinia-Loredana Bertia wrote:
I am about to register with Wales Interpreter and Translation Services, and they are asking for information about family, friends, partner/spouse. They're obviously trying to check if they have a criminal record or are currently involved in any criminal activities.

In my country, criminal records are kept on file somewhere, listed under the person's name and ID number, so it's not necessary to know who a person's family members are to determine if they have a criminal record.

On the other hand, http://www.gwent.police.uk/info_point/wits.htm says:
WITS will provide an improved quality of service from interpreters and translators by:
* ensuring all of its linguists are fully security vetted to police standards.

My partner and a member of my family both have criminal record. Do you think this will go against me and prevent me from getting a job with them?

That depends on paranoia in Wales. Can people with criminal records become police offers in Wales? I know in South Africa people with criminal records can be come the state president (all three of them since 1994 had criminal records with some serious crimes on them).

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Police 'vetting' for interpreters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »