Off topic: I will be in the South of England January 2-8, would love to meet some of you guys
Thread poster: Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:35
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Dec 6, 2009

Hi all,

This is Laureana writing from Montevideo, Uruguay.

In my hometown we have a great ProZ.com community and we have several powwows a year. These have given me the chance to learn so much about our profession and meet many good friends.

This year I'll be spending the holidays in Andover, Hampshire, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get to know some of my colleagues working on the other side of the Atlantic. I've looked at the list of up-co
... See more
Hi all,

This is Laureana writing from Montevideo, Uruguay.

In my hometown we have a great ProZ.com community and we have several powwows a year. These have given me the chance to learn so much about our profession and meet many good friends.

This year I'll be spending the holidays in Andover, Hampshire, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get to know some of my colleagues working on the other side of the Atlantic. I've looked at the list of up-coming powwows but have not found any during the period from January 2 to January 8, which is when I will be in the UK.

Do you think there's a chance we could organize something in the area? As long as I can get there by train, I have no problem traveling a bit.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Laureana
Collapse

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hello Dec 6, 2009

I might be able to make it. Although I live in the Midlands I could try to go South.

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
why not set up a pow-wow? Dec 6, 2009

Hi

Why not propose a pow-wow - perhaps in London - for a date during your stay?

Dan

Laureana Pavon
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 7, 2009

Hi Trisha, hi Dan,
Thanks for your replies!
I'd love to set up a powwow, in fact I've set up a few here in Uruguay.
But I'm not familiar enough with the UK to be able to do it over there, that's why I was wondering whether some of you guys could give me a hand. I wouldn't know where to start...
Let's see if anyone comes up with any ideas, of course I'm willing to do all I can from Montevideo.
Laureana

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Help Dec 7, 2009

Hi Laureana

I hope we can arrange something.
It's a little soon for a normal London Powwow (currently organised by Oliver Walter) as we had one a week or two ago. It's a pity the one in Nottingham is a day too late for you as the last one there was very well attended.
I am thinking of organising one in Cambridge next year but January is a bit early for that and, in any case, it's rather a long way for a day trip from Andover.
The first week in January is often rat
... See more
Hi Laureana

I hope we can arrange something.
It's a little soon for a normal London Powwow (currently organised by Oliver Walter) as we had one a week or two ago. It's a pity the one in Nottingham is a day too late for you as the last one there was very well attended.
I am thinking of organising one in Cambridge next year but January is a bit early for that and, in any case, it's rather a long way for a day trip from Andover.
The first week in January is often rather snowy in England so many people might be wary of travelling.
Nevertheless, let's see what level of interest there is here and I'll certainly do some organising if we can identify a popular and accessible area.
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Russel Dec 7, 2009

Hi Russel,
I know, my timing is awful...
But just the same I thought I'd give it a try, hopefully we can arrange something.
As you say, let's see if someone comes up with a good idea.
The places I can think of (where I think I would be able to travel for the day) are Reading, Basingstoke, Portsmouth, Southampton, Fareham, Winchester, obviously London...
There must be many, many more.
Just say the word and I'll be there.
Laureana

[Edited for
... See more
Hi Russel,
I know, my timing is awful...
But just the same I thought I'd give it a try, hopefully we can arrange something.
As you say, let's see if someone comes up with a good idea.
The places I can think of (where I think I would be able to travel for the day) are Reading, Basingstoke, Portsmouth, Southampton, Fareham, Winchester, obviously London...
There must be many, many more.
Just say the word and I'll be there.
Laureana

[Edited for typo]

[Edited at 2009-12-07 19:16 GMT]
Collapse

Sabine Braun
Sabine Braun  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
I am in Bournemouth.... Dec 7, 2009

It would be great if we could arrange something in the South. I live in Bournemouth, but would be able to travel to Southampton or Winchester. Train services should get back to normal on the 4th of January after the Xmas holidays, so travelling should be ok, particularly in the South where we usually don't have a lot of snow. Hope we'll get some more feedback from any translators living down South.

Regards,

Sabine

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Diary Dec 7, 2009

It occurred to me that we could try posting a Powwow in a vague area (Hampshire / Berkshire) and see if there was a consensus on a venue.

Looking at the diary though, I see the only weekend is 2 and 3 January.
Any views on when or whether work starts again that week or whether people might want an excuse to get out that weekend?

Sabine Braun
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Good idea Dec 7, 2009

Russell, posting a Powwow in a vague area sounds like a good idea to me. However, I know for sure that train services in the Hampshire/Wiltshire/Dorset area are messed up until the 3rd of January due to engineering works, so some people would not be able to travel over the weekend. Just something to bear in mind...

Laureana Pavon
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Trains Dec 7, 2009

Hi all,
I think Russell's is a great idea.
Sabine, do you know how we can find out about the trains?

Sabine Braun
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
National Rail Dec 7, 2009

Hi Laureana,

you could just go to the National Rail Enquiries Website: http//:www.nationalrail.co.uk and type in where and when you want to travel. You will not only get the journey times but also any information about disruptions and planned engineering work.

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Powwow posted Dec 9, 2009

OK, Ive posted the Powwow: http://www.proz.com/powwow/3005
Please enter your preferences there (and here too by all means) to encourage others to contribute.
I shall post it in Event Announcements too.
I have the option of e-mailing everyone within 50 or 100 miles of, for example, Basingstoke but I think we'll try and firm things up a bit first.

The Event Announcement is he
... See more
OK, Ive posted the Powwow: http://www.proz.com/powwow/3005
Please enter your preferences there (and here too by all means) to encourage others to contribute.
I shall post it in Event Announcements too.
I have the option of e-mailing everyone within 50 or 100 miles of, for example, Basingstoke but I think we'll try and firm things up a bit first.

The Event Announcement is here: http://www.proz.com/topic/152951

[Edited at 2009-12-09 10:50 GMT]
Collapse

Nadine_heather
Nadine_heather
France
English to French
+ ...
Hi Dec 9, 2009

Hi,

I am relatively new to ProZ and based in Reading, Berkshire, so would welcome the opportunity to meet other ProZ users in the area. I can travel to other towns, providing there are no major disruptions on train lines or roads.

I could do Saturday 2nd or Sunday 3rd, or possibly midweek but only in the evening.

Looking forward to hearing if/where and when this powwow will take place!

Nadine

Russell Jones
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Reading Powwow - Sunday 3 January Dec 27, 2009

Just in case anyone missed the original announcement, details of this Powwow can be found here: http://www.proz.com/powwow/3005

It's not too late to sign up.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

I will be in the South of England January 2-8, would love to meet some of you guys

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »