jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 9, 2018

I got this email a couple of days ago:

"Hello and how are you doing today? I would like to know if you're available to translate a document I'm to use for a presentation in a month."

He didn't even put his name at the end of the message.

I sent him my quote, and then he sent me a PDF, which is a chapter of a book. The title of the chapter is "The Concept of Capitalism".

I asked if he could pay 50% upfront by PayPal or wire transfer, he said he
... See more
I got this email a couple of days ago:

"Hello and how are you doing today? I would like to know if you're available to translate a document I'm to use for a presentation in a month."

He didn't even put his name at the end of the message.

I sent him my quote, and then he sent me a PDF, which is a chapter of a book. The title of the chapter is "The Concept of Capitalism".

I asked if he could pay 50% upfront by PayPal or wire transfer, he said he can only "make the deposit via transfer to your bank account".

Is this a scam? Have you ever been requested to translate "The Concept of Capitalism" before?

What if he will actually make a deposit to my bank account?

[Edited at 2018-10-09 21:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-10-09 23:52 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Is this the same thing? Oct 9, 2018

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/329486-“handersonn_jones”.html

Yolanda Broad

Alessandra Ogna Meza
Alessandra Ogna Meza
United States
Local time: 23:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Scam! Be careful Oct 9, 2018

It is a scam! Do not provide any bank information. They will make a deposit for a higher amount, than they will ask you to send back the difference and you will be accountable for that with your bank. It did happen to me, my bank stopped me immediately and closed my account. If you already gave your info DO NOT touch the money they deposit on your account. Call your bank immediately.

Yolanda Broad

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:40
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Scam Oct 9, 2018

He's just fishing for your bank account details. Anybody can make payments via PayPal or even MonyGram, Western Union and Co.

Just trash it and walk on.

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »